Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    maybe it's the nails thing...i can't relate to that. i'm a man with pretty normal sized hands and don't have any problems typing on the pre plus. now, i'm not going to be typing up any manifestos on the thing, but for texts and moderately long emails, it does fine. like most phone keyboards, it takes some practice. even iphone users generally say it took them a little bit to totally get the hang of typing. i guess one plus for me is that i've never had a phone with a keyboard, so i didn't have to "unlearn" anything. if you've been using another phone with a keyboard it'll probably take a little more time adjusting than for someone like me.
    I think I will take the plunge. But just my luck I will get the phone and not so far in the future Palm will come out with a new/better device.
  2. Xak
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    something to add to my earlier reply: I don't know if others would agree with me, but as far as the other phones i tested in the VZ store (various BlackBerry models, several droids, including the incredible), the pre plus has the best video viewing experience. I used a 4 min video that i'm familiar with, and every other phone was blocky/pixilated compared to the pre's sharp picture.

As far as the keyboard, it took me about two to three days to feel like typing an email. I can easily use the keyboard now. It only took a little bit of getting used to.
    I've had mine since it hit Verizon. With the software updates and a new phone, not a store display that's being beaten to death, I think you will love this phone.
    I've dropped it, hit it on wall corners, and have tons of things open all the time and it's been solid.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by zanix View Post
    I think I will take the plunge. But just my luck I will get the phone and not so far in the future Palm will come out with a new/better device.
    Therein lies the problem with buying electronics. I almost didn't buy my Pre Plus when I did a month or so ago for the same reason. Like you, I feared as soon as I purchased it, something better would come out. Then I just had to ask myself "Does the Pre Plus do everything I've been looking for a phone to do?". The answer to that question, for me, was "yes" so I really didn't have a reason to wait. Other phones might come out that have more functions or Palm may even release an updated version of the Pre, but they won't address any needs that I have. The Pre Plus does everything I need/want it to do (well, except for the glaring GPS problem).

As a side note, since they just released the Pre Plus on AT&T, I think it's unlikely that they'll be releasing anything else in the next few months. I would think end of the year or early next year at the earliest. Once they get HP's infusion of cash, we'll probably see something.
  5.    #45  
    Therein lies the problem with buying electronics. I almost didn't buy my Pre Plus when I did a month or so ago for the same reason. Like you, I feared as soon as I purchased it, something better would come out. Then I just had to ask myself "Does the Pre Plus do everything I've been looking for a phone to do?". The answer to that question, for me, was "yes" so I really didn't have a reason to wait. Other phones might come out that have more functions or Palm may even release an updated version of the Pre, but they won't address any needs that I have. The Pre Plus does everything I need/want it to do (well, except for the glaring GPS problem).

As a side note, since they just released the Pre Plus on AT&T, I think it's unlikely that they'll be releasing anything else in the next few months. I would think end of the year or early next year at the earliest. Once they get HP's infusion of cash, we'll probably see something.
    I am not so much worried about a new phone coming out with new bells and whistles; I am worried that a better keyboard would be out. The keyboard is my ONLY real hesistation. I am seeing more and more good user reviews on the Verizon website. That's encouraging.
    I am not so much worried about a new phone coming out with new bells and whistles; I am worried that a better keyboard would be out. The keyboard is my ONLY real hesistation. I am seeing more and more good user reviews on the Verizon website. That's encouraging.
    The only negative thing I can say about my Pre Plus is that the GPS sucks. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier. I think you'll find the size is perfect. Is AT&T an option for you? One early review of the Pre Plus on AT&T noted that the keyboard was somewhat improved. If you think typing is really an issue, you might want to swing by an AT&T store just to get a comparison.
  7.    #47  
    The only negative thing I can say about my Pre Plus is that the GPS sucks. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier. I think you'll find the size is perfect. Is AT&T an option for you? One early review of the Pre Plus on AT&T noted that the keyboard was somewhat improved. If you think typing is really an issue, you might want to swing by an AT&T store just to get a comparison.
    I did go to the AT&T store last weekend since there is one in my town and Verizon is not. They have the unit way in the back of the store in the corner. And the employees didn't even know the login to use it!! Do you really think they actually manufactured another unit just for AT&T with a better keyboard? How long have you had your unit?
  8.    #48  
    I see the review of the AT&T Palm Pre Plus on here. Yes, it looks like it is a better model.
    I did go to the AT&T store last weekend since there is one in my town and Verizon is not. They have the unit way in the back of the store in the corner. And the employees didn't even know the login to use it!! Do you really think they actually manufactured another unit just for AT&T with a better keyboard? How long have you had your unit?
    I've had mine for about 2 months now. It's gotten me through a few long airport layovers already, which is one of the main reasons I got a smartphone.

It seems that they did manufacture new units for the AT&T versions and they also appear to have a faster version of the software. Here is one review that comments very briefly on the keyboard:

http://www.precentral.net/att-palm-pre-plus-review

Highlights:

"Build quality on our review unit is the best we've ever seen on a Palm Pre. Palm has clearly worked to make some subtle tweaks to improve the overall hardware quality of this device. The slider feels as though it has a touch more friction than the Verizon or Sprint versions - it feels tighter overall. There is no "Oreo" effect whatsoever, no creaking, no rattles - it's just solid."

"The keyboard is also much improved over even the Verizon Pre Plus. They keys are a bit clickier than the Verizon version and much much improved over the Sprint version. More importantly, we cannot detect any problems whatsoever with double-keys or missed keys. The keyboard is great."

p.s. I'm not at all surprised that a worker in the store didn't know how to work the phone! lol When I went to get my Pre Plus from Verizon, I knew WAY more about the phone than the workers just from doing my research online.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have been researching and reading reviews on this phone. I want to take the plunge and buy this phone. I just wanted to ask the community for their experiences with the phone. This will be my first smartphone. I currently use the Env3. My biggest hesitation is the keyboard and the battery life. .
    Zanix, i just got the PPP w/Verizon last month, and like you this is my first smart phone.

I am VERY pleased with this phone! The free mobile hotspot for the first 5 gigs is an unbeatable killer app to me (i am NOT someone who does a lot of streaming video so haven't come close to running into that ceiling), and i've found WebOS to be a great experience. Apps are easy to download, and once you add the overclocking app to boost the speed up to 800mz the speed is fine as well.

Taking pics and videos and uploading them is a snap, and videos look GREAT on this phone.. battery life is mediocre, i can go about a day without charging, once you drain and recharge a couple of times.

Don't buy any Verizon store peripherals. They will charge you $30 for a car charger and $19 for a cheap plastic case, when you can pick both up from anonymous chinese dealers on ebay for a TOTAL of $8 (and they work fine).

I'm a big guy with big hands/fingers but have not had any problems using the keys. Sure, it would be nice if the keyboard was landscape and larger, but not a problem.
    I do not use bluetooth so can't comment on how it interfaces with that.

As others have noted, the whole GPS situation sucks, but you say that's not an issue for you. When my family travels, we mount the wife's droid on the dash for its outstanding, and free google GPS.

My wife and kid have "droids" but both are jealous of my PPP.

PS - i originally got a droid, but sent it back for the PPP. I got Verizon to waive the $35 restock fee.
    Last edited by stephenj; 05/27/2010 at 11:11 AM.
  11.    #51  
    I went to the Sprint store today. I played with the original Palm Pre. I really think I can get used to the keyboard. I also went to Radio Shack and they had 2 touchstones and one car charger. I bought all 3. I am going to order my Verizon Palm Pre Plus online tomorrow. Going to do the one yr for $119.99. I hope I love it as much as everyone thinks I will. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the imput!!!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    mobile hot spot is great. my girlfriend just got one after i have had a launch day sprint pre. overall it runs smoother than the sprint version. i like it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123