Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Anyone have major issue on Verizon Pre Plus build quality?

I have Sprint Pre, and the LCD have 5 dead square (using ##TEST#).. I replace it with other LCD part from other dead Pre and then sell it. I only use it for only 2 months, with regular use.. no abuse at all. I want to change to Verizon Pre Plus.. but I'm afraid the quality not as good as I expected.

My friend have "fried" Sprint Pre.. due too much using mobile hotspot. The phone radio dead, battery dead.. more over it can't charged anymore (using Touchstone or USB cable).. even the screen and other seems still works.. but without phone ... and can't charge battery.. then this Pre can be claimed as half dead. My friend buy this without any warranty.. so it now for sale for dissected to use as cannibal purpose.

So with this 2 bad quality sprint pre experience .. I really think twice to get Verizon Pre Plus. That new device already on my hand.. build quality phisically seems ok, but I don't know how about the inside part. My friend that import this from USA, let me keep it until I decide want to buy it or not.. of course because I'm won't using Verizon carrier.. this one will be off warranty too.. same with my Sprint Pre.

Any feedback about Verizon Pre Plus will be appreciated.. please.. don't give me Sprint Pre experince.. because I already know how bad sprint Pre quality is (my personal experience and by reading lots of thread in this forum and others). All I want to know is how good/bad Pre Plus verizon quality.

many thanks!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I have had my Pre Plus for about two months now and really love it. The hotspot was the main reason for getting this smartphone.(my first) I had an aircard/router for almost 3 years that I used on the road and at home. I had the Unlimited Use package and never went over the 5 GB with my desktop, laptop and my wife's laptop. It served us well.

At home the hotspot isn't too hot. I must be in a fringe area. I did use it at a meeting once and got 1.5Mh D/L.(Must have been close to the cell tower)

I, too, am frustrated with the GPS or lack of on the Pre Plus. I tried Google Maps and the GPS worked(sort of) one out of ten times. I tried the VZ Navigator(30 day free trial) and the GPS worked better. During that 30 day period, Google Maps seemed to work better, too. Since I deactivated VZ Navigator, Google Maps GPS seems to take forever to to show where I am at. It seems to "Locate" me on the Cell tower. I drove for 10-15 minutes before it caught up to my real location. Also, the little "dot" moves off the screen, without the moving the map. Isn't the map suppose to follow the "dot"?

All in all, I still love the Pre Plus, I just hope that Verizon fixes the GPS real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    I have also downloaded two virtual keyboards, that are less efficient for me than the Pre keypad.
    I am curious. What keyboards do you have installed? I found one in preware/webOS Installer
    Well,I'm on VZW and have had my Pre for just over a month.Not 1 single issue at all.After installing the Gps patch from Preware my GPS ia accurate to within a couple 100 ft., which is close enough for me as I work construction.Yea,I maybe alittle biased towards the Pre on VZW as I do work for Verizon on the landline side, but I beat the crap outa of my pre and it still keeps ticking.
    Quote Originally Posted by zanix View Post
    I have been researching and reading reviews on this phone. I want to take the plunge and buy this phone. I just wanted to ask the community for their experiences with the phone. This will be my first smartphone. I currently use the Env3. My biggest hesitation is the keyboard and the battery life. There are 50/50 opinions on the keyboard as well as the battery. I did try the keyboard in the store and really don't think it is a deal breaker. But only using it for a few minutes it is hard to tell. I will not be a power user on it. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the keyboard and the battery life? I also recently heard that answering a call and texting is not simple to do. Can that be true?? Anything else you want to share would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks..
    I have had my VZ Pre Plus for about a month and a half now and I absolutely love the device. So much better than the iPhone or any Droid. You won't find a better OS, no matter how hard you look. Don't even try.

As I mentioned in my previous post, however, GPS is a major bugaboo in this device. If you plan to use Google Maps or any 3rd party apps that require GPS, then VZ is probably not the provider for you. You can search for GPS issues in this forum and it would keep you busy for a few days just reading about people's problems with GPS on the VZ Pre Plus. Yes, there is a homebrew patch that's been recently released, but that only works for some people, not everyone. If I had it to do over again, I'd have waited for the AT&T version b/c their GPS seems to be working great (as does Sprints). VZ claims to be working on a fix for this, but you're locking yourself into a 2 year commitment, so I'd think long and hard if GPS is something you think you might use pretty frequently.

Don't let anyone con you into thinking it's not a big deal or sell you on the hope that there might be a fix someday. However, if you don't care about GPS and don't have any plans to ever use it, then VZ is probably an ok service for you. Just be aware that it's been ongoing issue with Verizon and there is no definite end in sight.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I have had my VZ Pre Plus for about a month and a half now and I absolutely love the device. So much better than the iPhone or any Droid. You won't find a better OS, no matter how hard you look. Don't even try.

As I mentioned in my previous post, however, GPS is a major bugaboo in this device. If you plan to use Google Maps or any 3rd party apps that require GPS, then VZ is probably not the provider for you. You can search for GPS issues in this forum and it would keep you busy for a few days just reading about people's problems with GPS on the VZ Pre Plus. Yes, there is a homebrew patch that's been recently released, but that only works for some people, not everyone. If I had it to do over again, I'd have waited for the AT&T version b/c their GPS seems to be working great (as does Sprints). VZ claims to be working on a fix for this, but you're locking yourself into a 2 year commitment, so I'd think long and hard if GPS is something you think you might use pretty frequently.

Don't let anyone con you into thinking it's not a big deal or sell you on the hope that there might be a fix someday. However, if you don't care about GPS and don't have any plans to ever use it, then VZ is probably an ok service for you. Just be aware that it's been ongoing issue with Verizon and there is no definite end in sight.
    I am not getting the phone for the GPS. I have a GPS unit that I use for when I need it, which is only when we travel (2x per year max). I just want a phone that I can access the internet and have multiple pages open at a time. I understand that the Pre Plus can do that, correct? I can open more than one web page at a time?
    I am not getting the phone for the GPS. I have a GPS unit that I use for when I need it, which is only when we travel (2x per year max). I just want a phone that I can access the internet and have multiple pages open at a time. I understand that the Pre Plus can do that, correct? I can open more than one web page at a time?
    Absolutely. It can do that flawlessly. The only catch is that on VZ's network, if you're on the phone you can't access the web (unless you're connected to WiFi). AT&T's Pre Plus will allow to use the phone and web at the same time. That hasn't been an issue for me though. If GPS isn't a problem for you, then I say go for it. Just wanted to make sure you were aware ahead of time so you had all the info up front.
    YankBoy is technically correct. However, if a phone call comes up while your on the web, your websites will simply stop loading until the phone call is disconnected. You won't lose what you've loaded. Further more you can open up links in a new card by holding the Option key (orange or gray square key - gray on the Plus) and then tapping a link. It will give you a menu from which you can select to open the link in a new card. You can, also keep tapping the web browser icon to launch new instances. It's great. Of course, the browser will be tagging the data connection frequently, and will burn through the battery, but this is true of all smartphones.

One thing I like is how well the Pre renders pages, allows pinch to zoom in and out, and how you can flick through the web page fast or slow. This browser so kicks the BB browser in the...

Since you have a GPS device you can continue to rely on it. I have, however, found that the GPS works fine in most apps after launching, then declining, the VZNav application. Google maps on WebOS has some issues. It doesn't seem to hold a lock even after the VZNav has been opened. It will retain the lock for a while then seem to lose it. Varies based on device and person's locale. Other apps like YPMobile and Trapster seem to retain a lock much better. If Verizon gets the aGPS fixed it will be much better. But that is an if, and certainly could have been a deal breaker for someone who needs reliable GPS right now.

Oh, I've also found the quality of phone calls to be better on my Pre than my wife's 8530 Curve, and on par with my 8330. It's very good (always depending on the cell towers available, of course).
    Former Droid Eris owner and i can say IMHO that they eris was a waste of $179. I had at least 5 of them and they all were slow and lagged real bad when someone would call and the battery life was horrible. It couldnt go more then 4 hours on its own.

Then i got the pre. This phone is awesome its fast responsive and smart. the battery last extremely long. I go through and 8 hour work day and may browse the web and use alot of apps.

Overall i would give this phone a 4.8 out of 5
    Droid Eris ===> Palm Pre Plus Verizon
  10.    #30  
    Hi Guys,

Well, I went to the Verizon store last night and spent about 20 solid minutes playing with the phone. I had a terrible time with the keyboard. I am a woman and I have small hands and short nails. I could barely get a correctly spelled text out. I had trouble typing web addresses too. And I had trouble with the spot where the deck of cards button used to be. I had to hit it more than once each time. And the harder I pressed, I would see what you would see if you pressed on an LCD screen....rainbow colors (??). I told the rep there that I was really trying to love the phone, but I left there not feeling the love. The top row of keys were very hard to press because they were close to the bottom of the slide. I LOVED the size of the phone. But if I can't type comfortably on it, I don't think I should get it.
    tap above the white line, not on the line...
    yes! I totally agree with you on vz nav.

I've had more than 25 browser cards open at once. Buy it. Love it!

13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    tap above the white line, not on the line...
    What do you mean?
    you said you struggled with tapping 'where the button used to be. The equivalent it to tab between white led line and the bottom of the screen.
  15.    #35  
    yes! I totally agree with you on vz nav.

I've had more than 25 browser cards open at once. Buy it. Love it!
    I really want to love the phone but if I can't type with it, what good is it to me? Maybe I am spoiled with the Env3 keyboard. How are you guys doing it?
  16.    #36  
    you said you struggled with tapping 'where the button used to be. The equivalent it to tab between white led line and the bottom of the screen.
    Well, if I go back to the store I will give that a try. The Verizon rep told me the free mobile hot spot is going away on June 1, so if I change my mind, I will get it before then!
    I can't believe they would start charging for that, but vz seems to k.ow everything but how to sell a pre...
    I really want to love the phone but if I can't type with it, what good is it to me? Maybe I am spoiled with the Env3 keyboard. How are you guys doing it?
    I found the Pre keyboard difficult at first--I was coming from a 755p which has a wonderful keyboard. I've definitely gotten used to it. The phone is good enough that it's worth getting used to it. I can practically touch type on it now. Sometimes the in store models don't open up 100%--that will make typing on the top row harder. So give it a little bit more push and see if the keyboard will open a bit. Also, I think it's best to either have very short nails or long enough nails that you can type with your nails. I find that my fingers need to hit the keys pretty much vertical. If my nails get to be a little too long, it's hard to do.

You might like the Pixi keyboard better. Because it's not recessed at all, it's much easier to be accurate.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hi Zanix,

I know where you're coming from. My wife & daughter have the EnV3 so I'm pretty familiar with that handset and I came from the Moto Q9M (and Napoleon) and I was really afraid of the keyboard since I text a LOT. It's nothing for me to send off 100+ a day. When I tried the keyboard out in the store it totally wasn't working for me, but after 1.4.1.1 came out I thought I'd give the phone a 30 day trial...

I'm keeping it. For the first week I found that if I thought about typing I would struggle, but if I just did it everything was fine. (And I use full punctuation etc. even in texts.) I have never had the double letter or missed letters like I found on the in-store sets. I don't know if they are previous hardware builds with the old OS or what, but the one I got - and I ordered on-line so I would get the latest one I could, not one that had been under a shelf for 3 months - is perfect.

Finally, the price is so low now that I went with the one year contract so that if anything new comes out I'll be that much closer to it.

Good luck.
    Well, if I go back to the store I will give that a try. The Verizon rep told me the free mobile hot spot is going away on June 1, so if I change my mind, I will get it before then!
    maybe it's the nails thing...i can't relate to that. i'm a man with pretty normal sized hands and don't have any problems typing on the pre plus. now, i'm not going to be typing up any manifestos on the thing, but for texts and moderately long emails, it does fine. like most phone keyboards, it takes some practice. even iphone users generally say it took them a little bit to totally get the hang of typing. i guess one plus for me is that i've never had a phone with a keyboard, so i didn't have to "unlearn" anything. if you've been using another phone with a keyboard it'll probably take a little more time adjusting than for someone like me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast