1.    #1  
    It seems the email notifications shows up a little different if your screen is ON versus OFF. Is this correct?

SCREEN OFF:
    --When you get a new email, the pre notifies you.
    --If you turn on your screen and unlock, the email notification on the bottom is "expanded" which shows w/ the sender and brief subject, and a little mail icon to the right corner. Then if you ignore it and don't touch it, it will "collapse" down and only show the little mail icon.

SCREEN ON:
    --When you get a new email, the pre notifies you.
    --But, the email notification on the bottom is defaulted to "collapsed." You do not see the sender and subject. You only see the little mail icon to the bottom right.
    --In order to see the sender/subject, you must tap to "expand" the notification (which started to annoy me and caught my eye in the first place because I was working in an app and got an email. I was expecting email from someone, but it did not "expand." So I had to tap it in order to expand and see who sent it.)

I've been installing patches all day so I was wondering if I did something by accident. Because I could have sworn that no matter if the screen was ON or OFF, I thought the mail notification always came "expanded." Then if you don't touch it, it will collapse down.

But now it looks that it is only "expanded" when the Screen is OFF, and "collapsed" when the Screen is ON. <--- Is that normal? Maybe I was just seeing things before...

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    bump?

anyone able to do a quick test case for me? send yourself an email when the screen is OFF, and then one when the screen is ON. do you see it expanded and/or collapsed in each case?

thanks.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    This is normal. You did not patch things differently.
    When your screen is on it just shows the minimized icon probably in the effort to not disrupt what you are currently doing.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    This is normal. You did not patch things differently.
    When your screen is on it just shows the minimized icon probably in the effort to not disrupt what you are currently doing.
    Ah ok thanks so much!!

That makes sense they don't want to disturb you. However, it's weird they implemented other things differently. Like appointments show up "expanded" and Facebook also shows up "expanded."

I guess appointements make sense because you want to see what's coming up.

Someone like me that lives on email, it would be cool to have the expanded view when the screen is on also. Maybe I'll request a patch.
    off topic but is having it set to as item arrives or at a time interval more battery efficient?
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    off topic but is having it set to as item arrives or at a time interval more battery efficient?
    Good question. I've been wondering about that too
    Quote Originally Posted by cooliosam View Post
    But now it looks that it is only "expanded" when the Screen is OFF, and "collapsed" when the Screen is ON. <--- Is that normal? Maybe I was just seeing things before...
    It is normal, but it hasn't always been normal. I believe the behavior was changed in an update (1.3.5?).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I have heard both ways are better for different reasons. I have experimented with AIA and different time intervals and did not notice any difference in battery usage.
    I like AIA but I only average may be 3 emails a day.
    Last edited by Freshyz; 05/23/2010 at 08:16 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It is normal, but it hasn't always been normal. I believe the behavior was changed in an update (1.3.5?).
    oh, interesting... i thought that's what i saw in an early video when they first went over webos functions. maybe they got a lot of feedback to change it..
    Great question! In my experience it's really up to the email service you are using. I was using a service called NotifyLink that allowed my Pre to work with our company's Exchange settings and I had to keep it set check on an interval or it would drain my battery. Our new Exchange service (not using the other app) allows me to set it for notification as they arrive without hitting my battery at all.

If you are setting them to 'as they arrive' on a POP account, you will drain your battery quickly because the device is constantly polling the server to see if there is mail. I'm not sure about IMAP accounts like Google... I've wondered about this and need to try it and see if there is a drain (unless someone has already posted about this).
    You should in my experience see less battery drain with as items arrive when using IMAP versus POP. I currently have about six email accounts set up on my phone all exchange and IMAP clients are as items arrive and the POP services are set to grab mail once an hour.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Using Gmail IMAP pulling 2 Hotmails too and no noticeable drain for me.. .