Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I stumbled upon this issue today and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing it. A chat with Palm support indicates it is not a known issue. I am using a new Compaq notebook with Win7. Whenever the Pre Plus is connected to the notebook via the micro-USB cable (in either "charge only" or USB mode) the notebook will "hang" on the Compaq POST screen whenever I try to reboot or start it from a shutdown. Immediately upon unplugging the Pre Plus, the PC will resume its booting process and start normally.

Any ideas or anyone else experiencing this issue?
    i know if you restart your pre with it plugged into my computer running vista it will cause the computer to stop seeing the phone connected . you end up having to restart the computer and phone or restart novacom driver. i believe its the driver and not the computer though.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by edistopre View Post
    I stumbled upon this issue today and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing it. A chat with Palm support indicates it is not a known issue. I am using a new Compaq notebook with Win7. Whenever the Pre Plus is connected to the notebook via the micro-USB cable (in either "charge only" or USB mode) the notebook will "hang" on the Compaq POST screen whenever I try to reboot or start it from a shutdown. Immediately upon unplugging the Pre Plus, the PC will resume its booting process and start normally.

the pc is trying to boot from the usb partition, you have to set the laptop/netbook to boot from HD not USB
    This is the basics of using a PC that somehow PC manufacturers never tell you:
    Always remove all USB drives or floppy disks (if you still have one, LOL) before booting your computer.

Some computers are set to look for the OS on an internal disk first. A legacy from the days of Windows 95 when Windows likes to screw up it self, and then people would need to boot from an external drive with DOS to fix it.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thanks Abegee and intellidryad--I suspected that could be the cause. My PC is set to boot from the CDRom first, and the hard drive second; third and fourth are connected USB devices. Will the reboot problem I'm having still occur even though the PC hits one of the other two bootup options first?

I tried to disable the USB devices in the BIOS menu, but it would not provide that option. That's why I made sure they were 3rd and 4th in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by edistopre View Post

I have your problem too. Even though I have the laptop to first boot from the HDD and have it boot from the USB last, my laptop still hangs when I have my Palm Pre is connected during a reboot or start-up.
    I have the same problem with any USB device. Flash Drive, external HD as well.
    i have had the PC hang on shut down with pre connected
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I have the same issue on my windows7 machine. Seems the only solution is making sure nothing is using the USB port when I reboot.
    it seems as if this issue doesnt have todo with the boot order since it happens anyway, so my guess is bad PRE drivers.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    My Toshiba laptop will do this as well. I don't think it's attempting to boot from the phone. I have had USB sticks stuck in before without a problem. The BIOS does not appear to complete POST process, let alone get to the point that it would try to boot from any device. My boot order also does not include USB drives.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    the pc is trying to boot from the usb partition, you have to set the laptop/netbook to boot from HD not USB
    It isn't boot order and it isn't bad pre drivers. Your Bios is set to enable legacy USB support. That means it will automatically look for USB devices and attemtp to utilize them and will hang when it finds them whether they are bootable drives or not. So, disable legacy USB support on boot/startup and then it won't look for anything USB until the USB drivers are loaded with your OS.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    One issue that could cause this is filesystem errors on the storage area of the Pre. Doing a chkdsk /f x: to check the filesystem for errors(after you finish booting your computer) MAY help.

In some cases, the problem is that there is not enough power being delivered to your USB ports, and since boot time is when the most power is taken(seeking hard drives and all other devices), a low power problem can come into play. I have seen this happen with some printers, and the problem really comes down to a cheap USB implementation on the computer.

This is just a guess, but do you have a low-end Intel based machine, Celeron or if the machine is newer, a Pentium processor? Low end Intel machines tend to have really really poor quality components outside of the processor and chipset to save on costs.
    This happened with both my Touch and Touch Pro, as well as my Pre on Vista. It has been adequately explained already, but it isn't the phone!