1.    #1  
    My requirements:
    1. Unlocked, AT&T Palm Pre Plus 'without contract'.
    2. Profile on the phone to be with my name and email id.
    3. To use the phone in India with a local 'SIM'. (I am aware 3G will not work here).
    4. Access to the US, free & paid, full 'App store/catalog' in India with the local sim. (Assuming US debit/credit card and US mailing address)

Based on information gathered from reading various threads, the following is what I think is required for me to get an AT&T Palm Pre Plus, unlocked and with access in India to the 'Full' US 'App Store/catalog'.

1. Current, long standing (over 90 days) AT&T customer (with a data plan) buys the Palm Pre Plus 'without contract' (Touchstone included) for $399 + Tax
    2. Puts his AT&T 'SIM' into the Palm Pre Plus, selects English as the language and then proceeds to activate/create a profile with his name and email id.
    3. Calls AT&T at 611 and requests an 'unlock code', stating that he/she is planning to travel overseas and would like to use, a non AT&T, local 'SIM' to avoid international roaming charges. Gives the Customer rep the IMEI #, he/she calculates and gives the code in 30 secs or so. This worked for 'brabusny' --> http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2460933
    4. Takes out his AT&T 'SIM' and puts in another company's 'SIM' (For eg. T-Mobile). Inputs the 'unlock code' and voila, unlocked AT&T Palm Pre Plus.
    5. Sends the phone to me here in India.

My questions:
    1. Any loopholes or things I missed above?
    2. Can just anyone walk in and buy the phone 'without contract', or does the phone have to be bought by an existing AT&T customer? I ask, incase this is an issue in getting the unlock code from AT&T.
    3. When activating/creating a profile the first time, can it be done with my name and email id, or should the buyer use his name and email id. In the case of the latter, would I then, be able to later create my own profile, using my name and email id.
    4. When I receive the presumably 'unlocked' (backup plan is Nextgen server) Palm Pre Plus, I simply put in my local India 'SIM' and then what? How do I go about creating a new profile with my name and email id?

PS: What is the 'return policy' on the 'without contract' phones?

Thanks a ton.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/23/2010 at 02:43 PM.
    Sanjay,

You may want to confirm whether the UMTS frequencies used by the AT&T Pre will work on the Indian network you use. I believe AT&T uses dual band 850/1900, while most Indian operators plan to use 900/2100. This will not be a problem for voice, but with the 3G auctions now completed, it might be important to check. The German O2 Pre UMTS freq is 900/2100.

You can also search Precentral - I remember reading that guys in Oz could not use data with German Pre's, because Oz also uses 850/1900.

Might be a wild goose chase, but I guess its better to be sure.

Vikram
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    as the above posters have said. You can source one from eBay USA or negrielectronics (they sell them unlocked) and have it sent to you. Make sure though that the AT&T variant is suitable for your networks in India as you will not have data connection if not compatible. Sounds like the French, German and upcoming UK versions will be suitable to your needs in terms of data connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    as the above posters have said. You can source one from eBay USA or negrielectronics (they sell them unlocked) and have it sent to you. Make sure though that the AT&T variant is suitable for your networks in India as you will not have data connection if not compatible. Sounds like the French, German and upcoming UK versions will be suitable to your needs in terms of data connection.
    Incorrect. If UMTS Frequency incompatible, data will work but restricted to EDGE speeds. Also simultaneous voice and data will not work.

As for the unlock code through AT&T, they only give codes to full monthly customers in good standing, as far as I understand. I believe you will have to go through Nextgen or try your luck on the AT&T code databases (i.e. online sources where they sell AT&T unlock codes).
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 05/24/2010 at 06:24 AM.
    Will AT&T version work on Airtel/Reliance in India for just voice/sms (using Airtel/Reliance simcard)? I don't have Palm Pre yet but thinking of buying the AT&T one for use in US. I am planning to travel to India for couple of weeks in coming months and would like to not carry/buy additional phone for use while in India. I don't care about data while I am in India.
    The AT&T GSM version should work fine for voice roaming on Airtel in India.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad