1.    #1  
    So last night I slept over my girl's house and didn't bring a charger. My pre already has a lovely issue of running through it's battery while on standby so I turned it off to save it's battery. The machine had plenty of charge, I didn't check the exact number but the battery meter was green.

I wake up this morning and the pre won't start up... My girl had finished charging her phone which also used micro usb, so I plug it in and right away I see the dead battery warning.... ***?!?! I can understand a machine having a crummy standby time but killing itself while off? How? Why?

If anyone has had this problem and has found a solution it would be greatly appreciated because if not I'm just gonna take it to sprint and hope I don't get a piece of **** refurb.
    Yep, it does that. The only to truly conserve battery I have found is putting it into airplane mode. After a night in airplane mode, your battery looses maybe 1% of it's charge.
    This happened to me once as well. The only thing I would suggest is pulling the battery out overnight. That is the besy way.
    is it possible that the battery was loose? Did you try pulling and reseating the batery? That dead battery symbol also come up when you plug it in to a charger...
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    So last night I slept over my girl's house and didn't bring a charger. My pre already has a lovely issue of running through it's battery while on standby so I turned it off to save it's battery. The machine had plenty of charge, I didn't check the exact number but the battery meter was green.

I wake up this morning and the pre won't start up... My girl had finished charging her phone which also used micro usb, so I plug it in and right away I see the dead battery warning.... ***?!?! I can understand a machine having a crummy standby time but killing itself while off? How? Why?

If anyone has had this problem and has found a solution it would be greatly appreciated because if not I'm just gonna take it to sprint and hope I don't get a piece of **** refurb.
    I believe you have a defective batt,try replacing the batt. good luck.
    I have had this happen too. The Pre was not actually ever turned off-- the screen was just off. When I tried to turn it on (right after turning it off), it wouldn't. I pulled the battery and turned it on again and it booted up. It had lost 10% battery in about 10 minutes...
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    This has happened to me, too. I had the device completely off, NOT in Airplane Mode, OFF, and it lost over 60% charge overnight.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yeah it's crap.
    Turn it into airplane mode. That's the only solution. You'll lose like 1-5% overnight.

It's bad enough the OS drains the battery like no other.
    It's worse they put an 1100mAH battery in this phone.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you for all of the responses. It's nice nice to know I'm not just nuts and that the phone really is glitching itself dead. That makes no sense though. How can the machine drain power when dead? I'll be doing the airplane mode thing from now on. Oh and to clear things up, this is not the first time this had happened but last time I just thought I was imagining things and that maybe I had really drained it down when in use. Last time I left it off it was only for 2 hours. Went from high 60s to low 20s. And from what I could tell it's not the battery. I had been taking the battery out for a while and not having issues but forgot to last night. That's what confirmed my suspisions from before. Oh well. Airplane mode from now on. Palm needs to fix this glitch.
    no guys, no need to turn on airplane mode.
    just shut off data.
    open up phone, go to preferences, an shut off data services.
    this way you are coverting your phone to a "dumb" phone. You still get regular text messages and phone calls. When you wake up put data back on if you need regular access to it such as email.

your battery will last 4 days this way.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    no guys, no need to turn on airplane mode.
    just shut off data.
    open up phone, go to preferences, an shut off data services.
    this way you are coverting your phone to a "dumb" phone. You still get regular text messages and phone calls. When you wake up put data back on if you need regular access to it such as email.

your battery will last 4 days this way.
    I mean yeah... this way works too.
    But it causes slightly more battery drain and he's probably trying to protect every last drop when he's sleeping.

In the morning, he can turn off airplane mode to receive all texts/missed calls.
    I usually turn off data when I'm in a basement-like place, lol. Had some classes in a place like that where battery would split like no other.
    I had this happen a couple of nights ago...had about 50 percent battery and turned my phone off for the night because I had left my charger at a friend's house. The next morning, the damn thing wouldn't start up at all, until I got the charger back and plugged it in. I think I'll be using the airplane mode trick from now on.
    I would try a different battery before deciding it's a bad phone.
    im new to this phone and using a prepaid sim on it. i always have my data turned off and witht the phone in standby mode, power drain seems very minimal. as suggested, give this method a try.
    Sounds like a defective battery to me, with the the phone powered off, battery drain should be next to nothing. Speaking of crummy standby battery drain, my Pre consumes a little of 1% per hour.
    mine does this too. I have the silver battery for the centro in it so maybe that's my problem. The only way I keep it from draining is airplane mode or take out the battery
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I had a similar overnight battery drain with a two month old battery while in airplane mode. Went back to Verizon and swapped it out.