Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    I have the terminal App in my Pre. Do I enter the commands to suppress updates from the terminal App? Sorry I am new at this.

    Here is the post in the sticky from DianeHelen that I want to follow:

    ----------------------------------------
    To prevent the update, you need to have root access to the command line and enter the following commands:


    Code:

    cd /usr/bin

    mount -o remount,rw /

    chmod -x UpdateDaemon

    mount -o remount,ro /Then reset your phone


    When you are ready to try the update, and let the phone get it re enable it with:


    Code:
    cd /usr/bin

    mount -o remount,rw /

    chmod +x UpdateDaemon

    mount -o remount,ro /and then reset your phone.

    I used this for quite a while before going to 1.3.5, so I could make sure I was ready and could handle all the problems 1.3.5 brought.

    ----------------------------

    Thanks in advance.
    ~Dave
  2. #2  
    You can enter them in the terminal app on your phone or copy/paste them into a terminal in your computer with the pre "rooted"
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    You can enter them in the terminal app on your phone or copy/paste them into a terminal in your computer with the pre "rooted"
    Thanks. I appreciate the fast response very much.

    So the command line on the Pre Terminal is:
    root@palm-webos-device:/var/home/root#

    Do I just enter each of the 3 commands at the end of that command line?

    TIA,
    ~Dave
  4. #4  
    You enter the first command to root into the pre then copy paste those 3 after
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    You enter the first command to root into the pre then copy paste those 3 after
    Great. Thanks. Done.

    Resetting the phone: Does that mean holding the power button down for 5 seconds or pulling the battery and putting it back in?
  6. #6  
    You can use either method although it is easier to do it with the power button
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    You can use either method although it is easier to do it with the power button
    Outstanding. Hats off to you.

    ~Dave
  8. #8  
    This is very useful. Is there a way to verify that the commands worked? After each command it just brought up the same prompt "root@palm-webos...."

    Also, if my phone already downloaded the update and said it will install at the next charge, will this command prevent that installation? I can't have it install if at all possible. I would like to delete the downloaded update.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneboy View Post
    This is very useful. Is there a way to verify that the commands worked? After each command it just brought up the same prompt "root@palm-webos...."
    If you didn't get any error messages then you can assume the commands were entered properly.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    If you didn't get any error messages then you can assume the commands were entered properly.
    Thanks. Whew! Does this command suppress the download of new updates or the installation of the update? (It already downloaded so I just don't want it to install.)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneboy View Post
    Thanks. Whew! Does this command suppress the download of new updates or the installation of the update? (It already downloaded so I just don't want it to install.)
    I am pretty sure it supresses the download of new updates. However I know nothing of whether it will prevent the install of an update already downloaded.

    My guess is no, it won't prevent the install, but hopefully somebody else can answer that.
  12. #12  
    I feel like I'm being held hostage by this looming update. Now I feel like I can't charge the phone. Even if I charge it with the phone powered completely off it can wake up, right? (It seems to have turned on while charging before.)

    Incedentally, we have the phone flashed to another CDMA carrier, and last time it updated we had to have it re-flashed. If it updates it will become un-useable again.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneboy View Post
    I feel like I'm being held hostage by this looming update. Now I feel like I can't charge the phone. Even if I charge it with the phone powered completely off it can wake up, right? (It seems to have turned on while charging before.)

    Incedentally, we have the phone flashed to another CDMA carrier, and last time it updated we had to have it re-flashed. If it updates it will become un-useable again.
    I am fairly sure it is always on when charging whether on USB or the TS. I have attempted to turn it off and place it on the TS and it just boots up.
  14. #14  
    a MUCH easier way is with Xorg Tools

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...wer-users.html
  15. #15  
    Would using Xorg Tools block an already-downloaded update from installing? Is the effect the same as entering the commands at the top of this thread?


    I hesitate to use XT because I'm not so comfortable with doing much with lower level phone mods as is suggested for this program.
  16. #16  
    I don't know if it stops and already downloaded update but when you block updates it runs that command without you typing much. It can be turned off and on. And as far as I have seen it blocks all updates, to apps as well (if you hit the update button) for me it just goes round and round. Via preware I can still update apps.
  17. #17  
    Just wanted to update... The script seems to have suppresses an already downloaded update from installing. I have watched it like a hawk each time we charge it and so far it hasn't tried to install it. Looks like we'll get to continue to enjoy the Pre on Cricket.
  18. #18  
    I have instructions on how to do it with WOSQI commandline. Let me know...
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!

Posting Permissions