Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,
    My Pre Plus will be coming in this Monday, but I have a few questions.
    What's the best case for the device?
    What's the best screen protector (preferably an adhesive one, not on that involves water)

    How do I install homebrew/preware?

    Do cases that Zagg, Skinomi, and PhantomSkinz make compatible with the touchstone? Also, I know this sounds silly but if I touch the back of my pre when it's on the touchstone will it shock me, has anyone ever been shocked by the touchstone?
    Any other tips/tricks?
    Thanks,
    Alex :]
  2. #2  
    Hi Alex, and Welcome to your new addiction!

    I really can't answer your questions about cases as I don't use one, but I can tell you my suggestion for the best skin. I know you said you prefer one that doesn't use water, but after trying a few different brands, I've settled with PhantomSkinz as my personal favorite. This one does use water to activate the adhesive, but it is very easy to install, forms perfectly to the Pre, and has a great feel to it (not tacky).

    As far as your question about the TouchStone... no, you will not get shocked. It uses an induction coil for charging and magnets for holding the device to the TC. You can hold it, move it, man-handle it while the device is charging and you are completely safe.

    While you are waiting for your device, I would suggest reading the posts on Preware and Homebrew patches and apps. There are a LOT of free extras you can add to your Pre to customize the experience.. and it is extremely easy to do! Enjoy your experience with WebOS!
  3. #3  
    Welcome to PreCentral. I hope you receive your Pre soon.

    Your best bet for finding recommendations for cases and screen protectors is the Accessories forum:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-accessories/

    To install Preware, you'll need to install WebOS Quick Install first. The instructions are here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-12-a.html

    Once you have set up WOSQI on your computer, select Preware from the WebOS Internals feed.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/22/2010 at 09:55 PM.
  4. #4  
    Touchstone uses magnetic charging so there is no chance for shock.

    In addition to what HelloNNNewman said, I would recommend this case:
    http://store.precentral.net/seidio-i...4A123A5675.htm

    It's touchstone compatible, which is always important.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  5.    #5  
    Thank you all for the quick replies, the community at precentral has amazed me. One more question. I use HandBrake on my Mac to convert video, what formatting/settings should I use to get the best video quality on my PPP?
    These are my options:
    It's in the attached image :]
    Attached Images Attached Images
  6. #6  
    The best setting for Handbrake is 'iPhone'... as this is the same resolution as the Pre. I use it on a PC, and don't have the setting for 'iphone 5G support' (not sure what it sets). Just set it as though you were using an iPhone and the settings will be perfect.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Ramen View Post
    Thank you all for the quick replies, the community at precentral has amazed me. One more question. I use HandBrake on my Mac to convert video, what formatting/settings should I use to get the best video quality on my PPP?
    These are my options:
    It's in the attached image :]
    Read these two links:

    https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14737

    Tutorial: Converting your DVD's to Palm Pre using Handbrake - Palm Pre and Palm Pixi Forums

    or just the iPhone setting.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  8. #8  
    Welcome to PC and as HelloNNNewman said your new addiction. I use a Skinomi Tech skin which I've had on my phone since September and yes it does require a waterlike solution to apply, as do all the good screen protetors like Zagg and PhantomSkinz.
    Here is another thread to read which will help you to know the ins an outs of your new pre. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-tricks.html

    Enjoy!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  9. #9  
    this is the case I recommend, because it snaps to itself rather than to the edges of the phone. The screen guard you choose will be based on the case you buy first. I use a zagg, but no case. If I ever get one, it will be this one:

    http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...some-case.html
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi Alex, and Welcome to your new addiction!

    I really can't answer your questions about cases as I don't use one, but I can tell you my suggestion for the best skin. I know you said you prefer one that doesn't use water, but after trying a few different brands, I've settled with PhantomSkinz as my personal favorite. This one does use water to activate the adhesive, but it is very easy to install, forms perfectly to the Pre, and has a great feel to it (not tacky).

    As far as your question about the TouchStone... no, you will not get shocked. It uses an induction coil for charging and magnets for holding the device to the TC. You can hold it, move it, man-handle it while the device is charging and you are completely safe.
    Okay, is the PhantomSkinz really that great? I'm thinking about buying it? Does it work with the touchstone, is the gesture area/touch screen still fully functional?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Ramen View Post
    Okay, is the PhantomSkinz really that great? I'm thinking about buying it? Does it work with the touchstone, is the gesture area/touch screen still fully functional?
    I really like them. I have a TC back on my phone, so I only skin the front (you don't need to skin the TC cover). They feel very good with no loss of sensitivity in the gesture area or screen.

    When installing the PS skin, take your time and do it right the first time. Be sure to clean your device well (I used Windex to get all oils off, then just before touching the skin be sure to wash your hands with a good dish soap to get the oils off of them too. If you don't have baby shampoo to add tot he water as suggested, just add a drop or two of the dish soap (they suggest that and it does work). Follow the directions and it will go on very well. Plan on leaving your device alone for a day as suggested... this will give the skin time to cure to the phone without any outside pressure moving, or pressuring it.

    Yes, they are a little more involved, but if you follow those steps the skin makes your device shine and not get fingerprints! Looks awesome (IMO).
  12. #12  
    Didn't see a "Welcome Thread" and didn't want to add another one so I figured I'd just add to this one. I myself am a new Palm Pre Plus user on Verizon. Just picked it up today for a good price along with a universal micro-USB car charger, a clear hard case and screen protectors. Long time BlackBerry User and even though a Tour is still my main device playing with webOS will be a blast! The gf has a Pixi from Sprint so I'm not completely in unknown territory. Glad to be part of the site and hope I can contribute as much as possible.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwilliams268 View Post
    Didn't see a "Welcome Thread" and didn't want to add another one so I figured I'd just add to this one. I myself am a new Palm Pre Plus user on Verizon. Just picked it up today for a good price along with a universal micro-USB car charger, a clear hard case and screen protectors. Long time BlackBerry User and even though a Tour is still my main device playing with webOS will be a blast! The gf has a Pixi from Sprint so I'm not completely in unknown territory. Glad to be part of the site and hope I can contribute as much as possible.
    Hi and WELCOME to the forums! Wow.. I never realized there was no official 'Welcome' thread at the top. LOL

    We're happy to have you join up! Please let us know if there are any questions you have at all about your new Addiction!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwilliams268 View Post
    Didn't see a "Welcome Thread" and didn't want to add another one so I figured I'd just add to this one. I myself am a new Palm Pre Plus user on Verizon. Just picked it up today for a good price along with a universal micro-USB car charger, a clear hard case and screen protectors. Long time BlackBerry User and even though a Tour is still my main device playing with webOS will be a blast! The gf has a Pixi from Sprint so I'm not completely in unknown territory. Glad to be part of the site and hope I can contribute as much as possible.
    Welcome! I have a feeling you will be using the Pre more and more as you become more familiar with it's capabilities and the elegance of webOS. Please reach out if you ever need help or have any questions.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  15. #15  
    Hi tolos, and as I tell everyone.. Welcome to your new addiction!

    Glad to see you finally made the leap and 'officially' joined in on the fun here in the forums. I hope you let us know if you have any questions!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Ramen View Post
    Hey everyone,
    My Pre Plus will be coming in this Monday, but I have a few questions.
    What's the best case for the device?
    What's the best screen protector (preferably an adhesive one, not on that involves water)

    How do I install homebrew/preware?

    Do cases that Zagg, Skinomi, and PhantomSkinz make compatible with the touchstone? Also, I know this sounds silly but if I touch the back of my pre when it's on the touchstone will it shock me, has anyone ever been shocked by the touchstone?
    Any other tips/tricks?
    Thanks,
    Alex :]
    I've had it for almost 6 months, no case, it's been fine. Not a scratch. I have a screen protector, $3 eBay ones work awesome. download preware: type in webos quick install in google, download it (Webos Quick install 3.12) then when you get that far, type in put pre in development mode in google, do that, plug your phone in, click the blue arrow on the right in Quick install, click where it says Precentral gallery or whatever, then click webos internals pre. Then check off preware, click download, then install Another cool thing is to click tools in webos quick install, then tweaks, and there's a ton of them. Check off ONE tweak, then click Luna restart, then do another one, and repeat, ect.

    Have fun! It's an awesome phone!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tolos View Post
    New here (kinda) too. I've been reading the site for a couple months or more and finally figured I'd better make an account so I can join in (and see links). I love the site and everyone's been really helpful to people for the most part. Looking forward to becoming more involved here!
    Welcome aboard! Glad you are finally getting your feet wet.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  18. #18  
    Welcome and enjoy.

    You can download the "I Love Homebrew" app free from Palm's official app store on the phone. It will give you some useful links such as how to install homebrew so you don't have to keep searching.

    Let us know how it goes.
  19. #19  
    Regarding cases, I really like the Palm side case. I'm a geek, so I don't mind having my Pre on my belt all the time.

    But as someone else already posted, there is a whole bunch of good info in the accessories forum.
  20.    #20  
    Okay, so really my only concern now is cases and homebrew?
    How do I install everything safely, for I've seen issues of sound files disappearing after patches etc. etc.
    Now, in addition to the Sedio case I'd like to either get the GRT Case or a Skinomi/PhantomSkinz, between the two, which is betteR?
    Thanks,
    Alex
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions