1.    #1  
    Hi all, I am new to the ATT Pre Plus from the Treo 680 and have a question about Web OS and syncing in case I lose my phone. I am used to syncing my device via the Hot Sync Manager and thus having all my info on both my PC and my Palm device.

The way I understand it to work is that all my info (including tasks & memos) are backed up to the cloud in case I lose my phone BUT cannot be accessed anywhere but on my phone. Is that correct? So if I want to access the info on my phone and on my PC - I have to use something like Companionlink?

So if I lose my phone I simply have to get another Pre and then sign in with my Palm Profile and my phone is back to being 'my' phone?

Thanks in advance - steep learning curve but I think I am getting used to it...
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snvyas View Post
    Hi all, I am new to the ATT Pre Plus from the Treo 680 and have a question about Web OS and syncing in case I lose my phone. I am used to syncing my device via the Hot Sync Manager and thus having all my info on both my PC and my Palm device.

The way I understand it to work is that all my info (including tasks & memos) are backed up to the cloud in case I lose my phone BUT cannot be accessed anywhere but on my phone. Is that correct? So if I want to access the info on my phone and on my PC - I have to use something like Companionlink?

So if I lose my phone I simply have to get another Pre and then sign in with my Palm Profile and my phone is back to being 'my' phone?

Thanks in advance - steep learning curve but I think I am getting used to it...
    Sort of, but not exactly Your e-mail, contacts, and calendar can be most simply accessed on both your PC and Pre if you use a "cloud" service such as Google without needing a software such as CompanionLink. If you don't want to use a "cloud" service, then yes, you'll need something like CompanionLink. I personally suggest using a cloud service that you can then access and download to your PC for use/archiving using software like Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.

As far as memos go, if you install Preware on your phone (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/preware), you can install something called Save/Restore (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...velopment.html) which will allow you to get the memos off your phone and onto a computer, although not exactly in "easy to read" format. At least you'll have a back up you can access in the case of a lost phone, etc. You can also easily e-mail yourself back-up copies of your memos as a means of backing up if you'd like.

Welcome to the world of WebOS and Precentral! I'm sure you'll love them both!
    I use pocket mirror to sync with outlook just as you are contemplating. Companionlik also does it, but requires a usb connection to your pc. Poacket mirror does it via wifi or bluetooth...
    There are some other alternatives for both memos and tasks. For example, you could use Evernote, which is a free app in the app catalog. It works with the Evernote website. I'm not sure of the tasks options, but I'm pretty sure there are alternatives that would do what you want.

However, using the default apps for tasks and memos, they are backed up to Palm's servers, so you log into your profile on another webos phone, and all your data SHOULD transfer.

Tasks is able to sync with an Exchange server, so if you have access to that, there's another option for you.

There are also a number of sync-with-your-PC/Mac options for you, some of which come with their own tasks/memos apps.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer