Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, this is a pretty dumb question but it seems there are various things you can do with the Pre when you are done using it for the day. But which one exactly should I choose? Shut down? Airplane Mode? When I hit 'Shut Down' it assumes that its cos I want to change the battery and not that im just done using the phone for the day.

What do you guys do with your Pre's at the end of the day?? Full Shut Down? Silent Mode? Airplane Mode?

edit: Just got my ATT Pre Plus yesterday so am still trying to learn exactly how to use.
    I usually switch it to aeroplane mode before I go to sleep. Don't need calls in the middle of th night and want to save some battery.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    I leave mine on, but a lot of people simply put it into Airplane Mode to conserve battery.

If you choose Airplane Mode, one thing I would suggest would be to restart your device every 2-3 days (at the least) just to keep things running smoothly. If you haven't jumped into trying Preware, there are a lot of simply to use patches that allow you to add extra power management choices (easier to shut down phone, restart Luna, etc)... Feel free to ask here at P|C if you have any questions!
  4.    #4  
    Hi guys, what are the features of Airplane Mode? Does it use much battery overnight?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Hi guys, what are the features of Airplane Mode? Does it use much battery overnight?
    Airplane Mode turns the phone's radio off. You will cannot make/receive calls while in this mode, but by turning the radio off you will conserve battery life dramatically. If you put your Pre in this mode overnight, there is basically no drain on the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Airplane mode will turn off all of your transmitters (3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) This helps with battery life since all of these use some juice. If you have any service running in the background that use any of the data connections (Mail, GPS, Geo-location based services, IM, etc) it can drain your battery even when your Pre is sitting idle.

Edit: Sorry Newman, didn't see your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Airplane mode will turn off all of your transmitters (3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) This helps with battery life since all of these use some juice. If you have any service running in the background that use any of the data connections (Mail, GPS, Geo-location based services, IM, etc) it can drain your battery even when your Pre is sitting idle.

Edit: Sorry Newman, didn't see your response.
    Airplane mode does not turn off your Wifi, Bluetooth, or GPS, only the 3G/Voice radios.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Airplane mode does not turn off your Wifi, Bluetooth, or GPS, only the 3G/Voice radios.
    My Bad
    Yes, it does. I know because everytime I turn Airplane mode on, I have to reenble my Wifi. And I've hit Airplane mode my mistake while using bluetooth and Wifi, it will turn off your Wifi and Bluetooth and reenable them once you turn Airplane Mode on.

The Battery Saver application used to have the behavior where it would not do this and would leave your WiFI on; however, it does not anymore.

If you just want to turn your phone off to save battery, there is a patch in homebrew that allows you to turn off the voice and/or data radios, while leaving everything else untouched.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I dont do anything at night other then plug it in to charge. Never know if someone really needs to get ahold of you at night.
    I leave mine on all night, sometimes on the touchstone, sometimes not. If you need to preserve battery, I would use airplane mode over turning it off. It would take too long for the phone to boot up every morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yes, it does. I know because everytime I turn Airplane mode on, I have to reenble my Wifi. And I've hit Airplane mode my mistake while using bluetooth and Wifi, it will turn off your Wifi and Bluetooth and reenable them once you turn Airplane Mode on.

The Battery Saver application used to have the behavior where it would not do this and would leave your WiFI on; however, it does not anymore.

If you just want to turn your phone off to save battery, there is a patch in homebrew that allows you to turn off the voice and/or data radios, while leaving everything else untouched.
    Thanks, I thought perhaps I was crazy, but it's good to know I'm not. (at least in this case )

Airplane mode would be useless (and somewhat scary) if it left WiFi on when you used it on an airplane.
    ahhh, that's the purpose of Airplane mode, to disable all transmitting and receiving. For when those of us that travel are told to turn off all electronic devices
    I leave mine turned on during the night while charging on my touchstone. It's also my alarm so it would help if I left it on.

I do give it a luna reset during the day and I also run Jstop for garbage collection and smoother functionality.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Hmmm.... I guess I didn't fully understand the capabilities of Airplane mode. Once activated, it will shut down all radios BUT... you can then proceed to turn on each radio (wifi, BT, GPS) at a time with Airplane mode still active.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Why would people be concerned about battery savings during the night?? Don't you charge it up during the night?

Personally, I don't do anything with it at night except put it on the touchstone and set the alarm.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I just leave mine on, plugged in. Don't want to turn it off in case of emergency.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

It will initially turn off wifi and gps, but you can turn them back on. I am typing this on my Pre in airplane mode with wifi on. I also use Navit with the phone in airplane mode.
    Mine is on, on the TS. I use it for alarms, and my family live across the country from me so I want to be able to get calls from them at any time.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Why would people be concerned about battery savings during the night?? Don't you charge it up during the night?

Personally, I don't do anything with it at night except put it on the touchstone and set the alarm.
    Well, I define the end of day as separte from night and I put my phone into airplane mode about three hours before I actually go to sleep. Plus sometimes I fall asleep with the phone laying next to me and forget to put it on the Touchstone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast