Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Hi guys,
    My mom has finally decided that it is time to say goodbye to her 700p and move on. She has been a dye hard palm user for the last 10 or so years and she was set on getting the Pre...until she saw the Evo. She says that she wants the larger screen size and that all of her friends have Droids and love them. My mom is not a normal mom that all she is going to do is text and make phone calls. In fact, she owns her own small business and would find many of the tools found in webos very useful. For the last 3 months she has been ready to get the pre but has not pulled the trigger and it crushed me when this morning when she got hooked on the evo. I am trying to convince her why she wont like android and why the pre is better for her but it has come to the point where the only reason that she would get the pre is that I can help her with it due to the fact that I have one. Please help me do some convincing!
    -Thanks
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    physical keyboard? If she does alot of texting she might appreciate it.
    also there is that extra 10 dollar fee for 4G per month even if it is not available in your area. Lastly the evo is in my opinion to big to be comfortable while talking on.
    Apple.........The New Skynet
    The Pre will fit in her purse better (mine fits perfectly).

Speaking as an older woman (probably older than your Mom), I love the fact that the Pre is very powerful but at the same time is so easy to use. It will not take any time at all for her to make the transition from Palm OS to Web OS. The synergy will keep her organized without much effort on her part. However, since she is coming from Palm OS, as I did, she may want to explore the third-party sync solutions out there so that she can continue to use Palm desktop. (There are other solutions if she uses Outlook.)

It sounds like she is a busy woman and I suspect that the learning curve will be longer for Android than it will be for Web OS.
    Even though the EVO is impressive cosmetically and comes with a faster processor, it is still an Android phone. Her friends may have the Droid and love them, but your mom could easily make them jealous with WebOS. If she is going to use it for texting and calls, she will LOVE the instant notifications and true multitasking. Being able to keep her messaging app open as a card while doing other things and moving between applications by simple 'swipe' gestures is not only easy and something the EVO and Droid cannot do, but it is incredibly intuitive and elegant. Droid and EVO do have a big screens, but Android is a 'scattered' OS with a learning curve. There are so many components that it simply doesn't feel smooth or simple to use. I've owned and used Android, and even though the Pre's screen is a bit smaller, it is the same resolution (crisper/brighter) and feels absolutely natural in your hand.

WebOS vs Android is simple.... WebOS is incredibly well designed and offers features that are simply natural to use. Notifications can be simply swiped away, you can move between open applications by swiping between cards, you can close an app by simply swiping it away. The EVO doesn't hold a candle to WebOS IMHO. And... with Sprint, if you are a Premier member you still get to upgrade after a year. Depending upon how soon she wants to replace her phone, I would say either get the Pre, or wait for a short period because I do believe there is a new Palm device around the corner.
    let her get the evo it's better than the pre maybe not the os but the phone is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    let her get the evo it's better than the pre maybe not the os but the phone is.
    Heres a good comparison:

Thats like saying, I want nice hardware but a crappy OS. Why don't I just go install Windows 98 on my hyped up desktop?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Heres a good comparison:

Thats like saying, I want nice hardware but a crappy OS. Why don't I just go install Windows 98 on my hyped up desktop?
    Great analogy!
    quite frankly, you're fighting a loosing battle in this particular situation. Since your mom is leaving the PalmOS, she's going to be faced with a new device with a different UI no matter what she chooses. Essentially a new UI leavels the playing field so there's no clear advantage on face-value there...even though we all know webOS is far easier to get-up-to-speed with.

Also, the store rep will surely mention no. of apps, strength in (sales) numbers, popularity, device variety wherein the Palm looses big time....yup, you're screwed
    Well, that was a lot of help
    Show her how to use yours, and let her get the feel of it and then let her try the evo. She will know what she wants then.
    show her the commercial, and it will show her how to buy more shoes... Woman can't resist new shoes..
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Even though the EVO is impressive cosmetically and comes with a faster processor, it is still an Android phone. Her friends may have the Droid and love them, but your mom could easily make them jealous with WebOS. If she is going to use it for texting and calls, she will LOVE the instant notifications and true multitasking. Being able to keep her messaging app open as a card while doing other things and moving between applications by simple 'swipe' gestures is not only easy and something the EVO and Droid cannot do, but it is incredibly intuitive and elegant. Droid and EVO do have a big screens, but Android is a 'scattered' OS with a learning curve. There are so many components that it simply doesn't feel smooth or simple to use. I've owned and used Android, and even though the Pre's screen is a bit smaller, it is the same resolution (crisper/brighter) and feels absolutely natural in your hand.

WebOS vs Android is simple.... WebOS is incredibly well designed and offers features that are simply natural to use. Notifications can be simply swiped away, you can move between open applications by swiping between cards, you can close an app by simply swiping it away. The EVO doesn't hold a candle to WebOS IMHO. And... with Sprint, if you are a Premier member you still get to upgrade after a year. Depending upon how soon she wants to replace her phone, I would say either get the Pre, or wait for a short period because I do believe there is a new Palm device around the corner.
    ***? Android has true multitasking,

Android notifications are just like webos except they appear in the top and don't shrink the screen, instead roll in the white bar and can be opened when you want.

The Pre's resolution is not the same as the Droids or Evos

Everything you're saying makes no sense.

If your mom likes the Evo for its power, screen and potential, let her like it. This isn't some game, she doesn't have to like the Pre because you do. Android is a very powerful OS, with more apps than webOS and some cool features coming down the pipeline. Let her like what she likes.
    just tell her android sucks and webos rocks
    a 700p user will feel most like the pixi, especially the keyboard. If she likes a physical keyboard, she will GATE the slab phones with no keyboard.

if she wants a bigger screen, consider the Pre. I suggest she start with webOS, it will feel more familiar to a longtime Treo user. Android on a slab will fustrate her. I am speaking from experience...
    Show her your Pre. If she still gets the EVO then so what? Life goes on as well. She might even regret getting the EVO too after playing with it. It's just another hyped Android device.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    MFaye21's mom here... thanks to all of you who have taken the time to reply. I know it's time to give up the Treo (have been using Treo's forever - have had practically every model from the 90 to the 755p - LOVE my Treo). But,. I'm embarrassed when I pull out my antique device and know it's time to make the change.

At this point my needs are basic. I work in client's homes, so it's imperative that I can make appointments from my Smartphone on the spot. I use Outlook on my Treo and can not imagine living with out my color coded week at a glance calendar. I'm thinking moving to Google Calendar and creating individual calendars by color so they all show up on the Week at a Glance screen. Other then that, I need a devise that will support both the bluetooth in my car and in my office, will do email and some texting, offer a few games, audio books and music. I'm sure I'll learn to enjoy the apps that are offered - but they all would be new and since I don't use them now, I won't miss what I don't have. Will want to Tweet and check Facebook from the devise in near future too.

Most of the time my Treo is in my back pocket - I like it handy all the time. I worry about using the on-screen keyboard without a stylist - how does one with fingernails REALLY navigate that. The most attractive thing about the EVO is the bigger screen that I can read with my (getting older) eyes and seems like can "type" on easier then the Pre'.

So with that information any more info would be greatly appreciated. I can wait for the new Palm Pre release if that would be wise. Whole family is on Sprint - won't change that - very pleased with their phone service in our area... What else...
    I still think the pre or pixi are the place to start.

lots of patches here to enhance the calendar.

I'm not a fan of gmail, so I use pocket mirror to sync to outlook. It costs 40 bucks, but it works most like you are used to with your treo....
    Speaking as another woman I can respond to the fingernail issue. Do use the pad of your finger rather than the tip. Don't use nails or any hard stylus on the screen. However, I find that typing with the physical keyboard is easier with my nails...or maybe that's just habit?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Here's how you convince her:

I bite my fingernails and I wouldn't suggest that to njmom

I came from using a Treo 650 and then Treo680 to the Pre. WebOS offers Synergy - which allows you to easily manage more than one calendar and account with everything linking together transparently. If you use Outlook on an Exchange server, you will be extremely pleased with how well it works. If you use Outlook, but not on Exchange... you can use a 3rd party app like Companionlink to sync your device and Outlook files. Otherwise you can create gmail accounts for different calendars (work, home, kids, drinking because of kids, etc...) and all calendars will be color-coded.

The Pre's screen is very readable, and if you do find something too small to read, simply double tap it so zoom in, or you can use 2 fingers to pinch-zoom in and out. No one is sure what's around the corner for the next Palm device, but all signs are pointing to something being on the way. Not to over-push the Palm WebOS phones... it really comes down to what phone is most comfortable for you and your needs. I'm pretty biased since I have had Palm and Android units... but everyone has their own likes/dislikes. The Pre's interface is elegant and intuitive where Android isn't. But Android has a larger screen and more apps (but how many do you need?).

Let us know if you have any specific questions we can answer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast