Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    @njmom, the evo will be out in about 2weeks, so until then why not try the pre for a couple of weeks and then when the evo comes out, you can go play around with it. See if you still want the evo and if you do, get it. Some people I feel kinda cheat them selves by not even giving the pre a chance.......give it a chance, you may actually love it.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Android doesn't have a larger screen, the Evo 4G does.

Personally I say you try out the Palm Pre or Pixi for 30 days and see how you like it. If you don't like it you can take it back and by then the Evo 4G will be available and you can try that.

In the end if the phone you have now works better than any of the phones you try you can just stick with that.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hi,
    This is Mfaye9, my mom is currently enjoying my tour of webos and she is playing a game right now. She wanted me to ask you guys if rhapsody to go works with the pre. I figured no but I wanted to make sure
    Thanks
    Currently no official Rhapsody app for WebOS.

EDIT: read cobakon's reply below since he is a Rhapsody user too...

BTW... there are always Pandora, Brightharbour, and ZumoDrive apps that let you stream your media. Pandora streams a lot of different stuff, and the other two allow you to upload your own media to listen to on your device whenever you like.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/22/2010 at 09:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by njmom View Post
    Hi,
    This is Mfaye9, my mom is currently enjoying my tour of webos and she is playing a game right now. She wanted me to ask you guys if rhapsody to go works with the pre. I figured no but I wanted to make sure
    Thanks
    @Mfaye9

I'm a Rhapsody subscriber (grandfathered from Y!Music) and the Pre syncs up perfectly with it. Songs, Playlists, Videos, and the bonus is if you buy music from Amazon, Rhapsody can sync it over to your PC automatically if you choose so it's always backed up.

I don't have a RTG account so I can't tell you that it works 100% but when I try to drag subscription tracks to the Pre, it doesn't stop me, just alerts me that I need to have a RTG subscription, or buy the song in question.

HTH
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    It sounds like the transition to the Pre would be easier then the EVO. That is critical. I'm most curious about the apps that would allow me to use my Outlook Calendar on the Pre. Does anyone use the week-at-a-glance calendar with color coding, with a 3rd party app that syncs from their desk-top? If there is an easy way to do that I'm there. What app? Thanks so much.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfaye21 View Post
    Hi guys,
    My mom has finally decided that it is time to say goodbye to her 700p and move on. She has been a dye hard palm user for the last 10 or so years and she was set on getting the Pre...until she saw the Evo. She says that she wants the larger screen size and that all of her friends have Droids and love them. My mom is not a normal mom that all she is going to do is text and make phone calls. In fact, she owns her own small business and would find many of the tools found in webos very useful. For the last 3 months she has been ready to get the pre but has not pulled the trigger and it crushed me when this morning when she got hooked on the evo. I am trying to convince her why she wont like android and why the pre is better for her but it has come to the point where the only reason that she would get the pre is that I can help her with it due to the fact that I have one. Please help me do some convincing!
    -Thanks
    sorry cant.. after going thru 3 pres since wed and reading all the others its just IMO that the hardware construction of these just isnt up to standard. webos is great but it needs better hardware... the droid system is getting stronger largely due to its market.. you can find tons of toy apps that are just basicly there to entertain you for few mins every now and then for free on droid and webos they charge.. like photo screen savers that cost them nothing and want to charge .99
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Wow...
    Lots of Android haters here.

Just cause the User Interface on the Pre is better doesn't mean the OS is better overall.
    Android comes with a lot of features packed into it upon launch. There are a million more camera options, for example. That's just one thing.

Android also has full support backing of Google, who have some fantastic apps on their devices.
    I swear some of you guys need to try out Android.

What I would tell her the problem is:
    -Fragmentation : HTC is trying to fix the problem after 2.2... but god knows when that'll launch on HTC devices cause Nexus One users are already seeing the update.
    -Virtual Keyboard : She can get used to this. With Swype Technology, she can probably type faster than if she was on the Pre because the Pre's hardware keyboard is kinda' meh.

Are you trying to help Palm or your mom?
    I mean, your mom is getting a Sprint Pre? That thing is a year old and I wouldn't give it to anyone without overclocking, because opening up the messaging app takes god knows how long.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Currently no official Rhapsody app for WebOS.

EDIT: read cobakon's reply below since he is a Rhapsody user too...

BTW... there are always Pandora, Brightharbour, and ZumoDrive apps that let you stream your media. Pandora streams a lot of different stuff, and the other two allow you to upload your own media to listen to on your device whenever you like.
    Rhapsody to Go and Napster to Go both require compatible mp3 players that sync up with the service. You never own the songs, you just rent them, for as long as you pay the monthly service.

I have found a much better solution that works really well, and I have all my songs as mp3s that I can store on my computer and transfer to any mp3 device without DRM. I subscribe to Napster to Go, which lets me download unlimited numbers of DRM-protected WMA files. Then, I use a program called Tunebite to turn them into drm-free MP3s. What it does is, it plays the song on the computer, which it can do because I have the subscription. While it is playing the song, it also records the song, and saves it as an MP3, on my hard drive. It is kind of like zcorder, recording what is playing on the computer.

Here is the beauty thing: It can play the song at 2x the actual speed and record. Not only that, but it can play many songs at one time. With my quad core computer, I can record 10 songs at a time at 2x speed, and not tax the CPU. So, what happens is you get songs recording 20 times faster than it would take to play them one at a time.

I can therefore download 4 hours of songs and save them to MP3 in about 12 minutes.

I have been using Tunebite for about 5 years, and I keep expecting the record companies to shut it down, but they have never gone after it to my knowledge. Tunebite takes the position that it is the same as recording a movie from your cable channel to VHS for later viewing. Whether that would hold up or not, I don't know, but the bottom line is, I can use a legal subscription service with freely available software sold openly and make all the MP3s my heart desires. Then, I can transfer them to my Pre using USB, and not worry about things like Rhapsody to Go compatibility.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Hot spot hot spot hot spot

Also a busy middle aged woman, many of my friends have android phones. Webos is easier to use, has a better camera, and fits in my jeans pocket much better.

I wanted a droid until I saw how clunky it was. Doesn't fit in purse, pocket, or backpack.

Most compellingly, though, the hot spot feature is wonderful - especially when I'm out on the road and want to connect my computer to the internet. I just got a tiny hp touchscreen tablet. With that and the pre I am always connected to anything I want.

Only downsides to pre - maps aren't quite as good and it does not yet have a full documents program. However, I had docs on palm and rarely used it.

Finally - show her the touchstone!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by njmom View Post
    It sounds like the transition to the Pre would be easier then the EVO. That is critical. I'm most curious about the apps that would allow me to use my Outlook Calendar on the Pre. Does anyone use the week-at-a-glance calendar with color coding, with a 3rd party app that syncs from their desk-top? If there is an easy way to do that I'm there. What app? Thanks so much.
    Pocket Mirror is a very good 3rd part app for wirelessly syncing Outlook to the Pre. I'm not sure about the color-coding within a single calendar (I do know it supports multi-categories in Tasks)... but it may be worth taking a look at.

Another is Companion Link for Google - this app will wirelessly (or via USB) sync Microsoft Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks and notes with your Google account. Once your data is in your Google account, it will automatically sync with your Palm webOS phone.

Hopefully someone out there can confirm how these handle color-coding in Outlook.
    just buy her a Pre. She'll have "x" amount of days to decide to keep or take the droid plunge. If she doesn't like it just return it. K.I.S.S.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I know this is late, but here is an update-
    She will be ordering the Evo tomorrow. After playing with it a few more times she decided it was the right phone for her and (ready for this craziness?) that Android was easier to use then webOs. I do have to admit..the Evo is a great phone and if I wasnt in love with webOS I would jump on that phone!
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by mfaye21 View Post
    I know this is late, but here is an update-
    She will be ordering the Evo tomorrow. After playing with it a few more times she decided it was the right phone for her and (ready for this craziness?) that Android was easier to use then webOs. I do have to admit..the Evo is a great phone and if I wasnt in love with webOS I would jump on that phone!
    Please give us her (and your) impressions after she's had it a few weeks.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Please give us her (and your) impressions after she's had it a few weeks.
    I definitely will! I am really excited to see how both of us like it. One of the good things about her getting the Evo is that it can satisfy my sweet tooth for a new phone so I dont go insane waiting for that Pre 2!
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12