Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69
  1.    #1  
    The pre/plus has a qwerty keyboard,even though it's not the best..but it does the job. (For me that is) The new Evo coming out look good but not for me.. Where is the qwerty keyboard,oops! It doesn't have one. I would have to type on a huge glass that reminds me of my portable dvd player. I don't think so
  2. #2  
    Full touch keyboards are one of the waves of the future because they allow for things that hardware ones don't including:
    Landscape OR Portrait without one of those ridiculous dual sliders
    The phone to be thinner overall
    Bigger screen (especially on the Evo)
    No need for different hardware keys to release it in countries that speak different languages
    And different keyboard technologies like swype
  3. #3  
    Don't forget that having a virtual keyboard also takes up a great deal of precious screen real estate... that's the biggest deal breaker for me.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Full touch keyboards are one of the waves of the future because they allow for things that hardware ones don't including:
    Landscape OR Portrait without one of those ridiculous dual sliders
    The phone to be thinner overall
    Bigger screen (especially on the Evo)
    No need for different hardware keys to release it in countries that speak different languages
    And different keyboard technologies like swype
    Touch screen keyboard are one of the wave of the future.. huh? Most people I know always complaining about virtual keyboard,and wish their phone has a qwerty keyboard. In fact most even prefer having both. (Fact not Speculation)
  5. #5  
    I disagree as to most people complaining/not wanting a virtual keyboard and if you just look at the current turns the market has taken it is evident people are flocking to virtual keyboards.
    But I am sure plenty of people would like both I am in fact one of them I am just saying virtual keyboards are the next big thing.
  6. #6  
    I definitely agree with 063_xobx about this. Touch screen keyboards really are the wave of the future. There are just too many benefits to using them instead of a physical keyboard.

    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Touch screen keyboard are one of the wave of the future.. huh? Most people I know always complaining about virtual keyboard,and wish their phone has a qwerty keyboard. In fact most even prefer having both. (Fact not Speculation)
    People always complain about change. You need to adapt to future technology or get left behind...
  7.    #7  
    well,for me though... It will always be a qwerty keyboard. (maybe I was wrong) still love my pre though. lol
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    None of those things would make me want to type on glass. I had an Ipod touch and found typing anything on it to be ridiculous plus the keyboard takes up a good chunk of the viewable screen.
    It is not so much about whether it makes YOU want to (I don't want a full touch phone either) but about the fact that most people will use them which will determine if a company makes a product or not
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I think it is more like they are being forced on customers. Phone manufacturers are forcing software keyboard phones on the masses. I know some people with software key phones and they hate it. Most don't bother typing much on them.
    That is an interesting point but I feel it is more like companies are trying to follow Apple since they basically brought the touch screen only revolution to us because they see it as what people want and if enough people stopped buying touch screen only phones it would change but since more and more are made and sold every day they are here to stay
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    If you look at world wide stats phones with keypads are way ahead so no I don't think keypads are going anywhere. Even in the USA phones with keypads are ahead. Probably one of the reasons was Blackberry phones remain so popular even though the OS isn't that good.
    I feel like blackberry is a bad example because with the curve they basically "broke the rules" by releasing it dirt cheap and on every network I mean they even released it on metro pcs
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    If you look at world wide stats phones with keypads are way ahead so no I don't think keypads are going anywhere. Even in the USA phones with keypads are ahead. Probably one of the reasons was Blackberry phones remain so popular even though the OS isn't that good.
    Well, of course they are ahead. Physical keyboards have been the standard for many years. People are very comfortable with them. I do believe that virtual keyboards will eventually take over due to their flexibility and numerous advantages. Generally, the less moving parts something has, the more reliable and stable it will be.
  12.    #12  
    When I did have a phone that has a VK,I was always making mistake and I would return that device for the unresponsive touch screen keypad. My experience with on screen keyboard sucks. I had a thread about keyboards before,and most people prefer both. (Fact) My name is rush and I love qwerty keyboard,and will never get another phone without one. Amen.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I find the notion that, in this ultimate consumer market, the manufacturers are forcing virtual keyboards on their customers hilarious. It's not as if there aren't plenty of choices out there.

    Why would anyone want to view media, browse websites, and play games on a smaller screen when you could have twice the viewing area on a thinner device?

    I'm sure a lot of consumers are much more comfortable touch typing on full size qwerty keyboard but I haven't seen any phones with them. There seem to be trade-offs that people are willing to make.
    You would be so surprise to know what some people prefer. My palm pre screen is large enough for me to watch my videos/surf the web and much more. Has they say-It's a matter of choice. When you stated that word 'Why would anyone.. then I say to you 'Why wouldn't they?
  14. #14  
    Virtual keyboards are not the "wave" of the future. They are the current "fad". Nothing will every replace the tactile feel of a real keyboard. RIM went out of their way to try to give users that tactile feel with the Storm and Storm 2. Mixed results.

    A large chunk of people who buy devices without keyboards, do so because of a combination of factors such as thin device with large display, touch display, etc... But a lot of those people end up regretting their decision when they realize that only having a virtual keyboard is not comfortable for long term use. If it wasn't for the amazing auto-correct facility on the iPhone, it would have been a failure. Devices with keyboards continue to dominate the feature and smartphone world, and will continue to do so. Especially as companies get better at providing both the keyboard and large screens. Why do you think the Droid was such a big seller? Large screen plus "real" keyboard (I loosely use the term real for the Droid keyboard, because I think it's a pos).
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    there is nothing preventing a larger screen and a physical keypad. I for one don't want to carry a brick as a phone but I can understand that some people do. I'll stick with my one hand use.
    I'm sure we all agree there's nothing wrong with one hand use.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Well, of course they are ahead. Physical keyboards have been the standard for many years. People are very comfortable with them. I do believe that virtual keyboards will eventually take over due to their flexibility and numerous advantages. Generally, the less moving parts something has, the more reliable and stable it will be.
    Virtual Keyboards are great for manufacturers, and people who have come from feature phones.

    If you come from a Blackberry, or a Treo, or if you do a lot of text input they are a pain in the *****.

    I use the Home Virtual Keyboard on the Pre to input quick notes when I'm too lazy to open the phone, but for larger text input jobs, nothing beats a physical keyboard.
  17. #17  
    1st please stop referring to physical keyboards as qwerty. QWERTY is a reference to the layout of the keys. Virtual keyboards in an American layout are qwerty as well.

    2nd you have already said it is a matter of preference. I for one am making the move to the Evo but one of the main reasons I got a Pre to begin with is the physical keyboard. Unfortunately the enter key is not always responsive and for some reason I am making more typing errors on it now than when I first got it last June. But that's just me.

    3rd leading me to the reason to go ahead and give the virtual keyboard on the Evo a try. The screen is huge making the layout of the keys presumable easier to type on accurately. The huge screen also allows for the precious real estate that a virtual keyboard takes up to still leave a lot of screen for everything else. And finally less moving parts. There is no oreo effect when your phone isn't a slider. Physical keys like my enter key may get worn out or simply break. Moving parts leave the possibility for more failure.

    And I am sure that next year I will probably be singing a different tune. Or maybe not...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jedisrus View Post
    1st please stop referring to physical keyboards as qwerty. QWERTY is a reference to the layout of the keys. Virtual keyboards in an American layout are qwerty as well.

    2nd you have already said it is a matter of preference. I for one am making the move to the Evo but one of the main reasons I got a Pre to begin with is the physical keyboard. Unfortunately the enter key is not always responsive and for some reason I am making more typing errors on it now than when I first got it last June. But that's just me.

    3rd leading me to the reason to go ahead and give the virtual keyboard on the Evo a try. The screen is huge making the layout of the keys presumable easier to type on accurately. The huge screen also allows for the precious real estate that a virtual keyboard takes up to still leave a lot of screen for everything else. And finally less moving parts. There is no oreo effect when your phone isn't a slider. Physical keys like my enter key may get worn out or simply break. Moving parts leave the possibility for more failure.

    And I am sure that next year I will probably be singing a different tune. Or maybe not...
    Wow,I never knew that... they are not call qwerty keyboard! guess I need to study up some more on what qwerty does mean. LOL Anyway,the issue I have is to type on a big glass or plastic screen. I don't care how great a phone is,without a qwerty keyboard.. oops! my bad,a physical keyboard... that phone means nothing to me.
  19.    #19  
    ps. I almost forget-good luck with your EVIL. (:-)
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jedisrus View Post
    1st please stop referring to physical keyboards as qwerty. QWERTY is a reference to the layout of the keys. Virtual keyboards in an American layout are qwerty as well.

    2nd you have already said it is a matter of preference. I for one am making the move to the Evo but one of the main reasons I got a Pre to begin with is the physical keyboard. Unfortunately the enter key is not always responsive and for some reason I am making more typing errors on it now than when I first got it last June. But that's just me.

    3rd leading me to the reason to go ahead and give the virtual keyboard on the Evo a try. The screen is huge making the layout of the keys presumable easier to type on accurately. The huge screen also allows for the precious real estate that a virtual keyboard takes up to still leave a lot of screen for everything else. And finally less moving parts. There is no oreo effect when your phone isn't a slider. Physical keys like my enter key may get worn out or simply break. Moving parts leave the possibility for more failure.

    And I am sure that next year I will probably be singing a different tune. Or maybe not...
    dude wife and I both beat the hell outta and used the hel outta our physical keyboards on our centros for 2 years, not one key failure. I type pretty freakin fast (certified at 60 + wpm, easily over 70 at this point as I now work at a computer daily) anyways, even with the awesome auto correct of the iphone, my close friends can't come close to matching my speed on the physical keyboard and I don't have to look at my keys. If webos had better autocorrect I would be typing crazy fast.

    just saying I am about as worried about keys breaking on a physical keyboard as I would be breaking the screen on a touch keyboard. BTW duno what's wrong with your enter key I haven't had any issues.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions