Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 69 of 69
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I would rather use Droid's software keyboard.
    Pre's screen isn't so great with a software keyboard.


    Some of you have obviously not heard of swype.
    I would rather type on a virtual keybaord with swype than on a hardware keyboard anyday.
    I actually addressed swype on page 2 of this thread..... and I still stand by my statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Here's the problem with your love of swype..... still no tactile response (no touch typing), and for those of us that can type quite nicely on real keyboards, *we* are not used to dragging our fingers to type.
  2. cajunrph's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    If we are using the iPhone as the baseline (12.3mm) then the Pre is ~37% thicker than the iPhone. That is not in the same range, that is a large thickness increase and there are people who still don't think the Pre has a good keyboard, but that is more opinionated.

    The droid at 13.7 is only 11% thicker than the iPhone. But also remember that the new iPhone is thinner according to Gizmodo.
    While the Pre is 37% thicker than the iPhone that is only 3/16 of an inch thicker. Grab a ruler and look at 3/16 of an inch. It is not that much bigger when you look at it. If 3/16 of an inch make the Pre too big in your pants then your pants are WAY too tight and may be a trip to the store for a size up might be in order.
    I've have/had and iPhone BB, Treo's, Pre and a HTC Hero. The iPhone's auto correct is the only thing keeping it useable. The Hero has a very good auto correct also but bogs down due to an over taxed processor. I can fly on the BB the fastest, but can fly pretty good on the iPhone also. But it is madding sometimes on the iPhone when auto correct corrects a word for you or substitutes a word that is way off of the word you were trying to type. The reason the BB is the best is because it will auto sub some words but others are left underlined in red to draw your attention to the misspelled word and clicking on the underlined word brings a drop down of suggested words. You can slaughter a word and come back later and fix it. On the iPhone and the Hero you have to be pretty close to get it to fix it. I've been away from physical keyboards only to come back each and every time. I'm here because I want to find another Pre in eBay so I can ditch the Hero and go back with a physical keyboard which I'm faster on. I have had people who say they love their VKB only to see me fly on my physical keyboard and have second thoughts. To each his/her own. But for me the physical keyboard is the best. If it takes a slightly thicker phone, I can live with that as long as it is pocketable and doesn't feel like a brick in my pocket.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Full touch keyboards are one of the waves of the future because they allow for things that hardware ones don't including:
    Landscape OR Portrait without one of those ridiculous dual sliders
    The phone to be thinner overall
    Bigger screen (especially on the Evo)
    No need for different hardware keys to release it in countries that speak different languages
    And different keyboard technologies like swype
    future of what?

    one hand operation and blind typing are far more important than apple defender want ppl to believe.

    physical keyboard was invented decades ago, see how many real computers don't have one now.

    future, LMAO.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    future of what?

    one hand operation and blind typing are far more important than apple defender want ppl to believe.

    physical keyboard was invented decades ago, see how many real computers don't have one now.

    future, LMAO.
    People touch type to create large documents. But devices like smartphones are much less about creating and editing large documents and much more about consumption and communication, things that don't require touch typing.

    And as I said earlier, I find it easier to one-hand type on a software keyboard, rather than a physical keyboard. I think it depends on the person, which is why software keyboards are not going away.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  5. cajunrph's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    And as I said earlier, I find it easier to one-hand type on a software keyboard, rather than a physical keyboard. I think it depends on the person, which is why software keyboards are not going away.
    There is no doubt about one hand typing being better on a VKB. I would think it would be damm near impossible on a slider like the Pre. VKB don't require you to push down a physical key only touch the screen. My wife types one fingered all the time on her iPhoney err iPhone. I tried to get her to type with two fingers(thumbs) but she says she likes to type like that. She is no where as fast as I am on a VKB or physical keyboard. But she just pecks away on her phone till she finishes her typing and is content to do it that way. But I find two thumbed typing to be much faster, just as correct typing on a computer keyboard is faster if you keep your fingers on the home keys vs hunting and pecking. And two fingered typing is best on a physical keyboard.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I definitely agree with 063_xobx about this. Touch screen keyboards really are the wave of the future. There are just too many benefits to using them instead of a physical keyboard.

    People always complain about change. You need to adapt to future technology or get left behind...


    I believe that hardware keyboards ARE the wave of the future. It is easy to create a software keyboard. (take a look at all palm devices from 8 to 13 years ago, they all had software keyboards). The real advancement in technology is being able to have a large screen AND a hard button qwerty keyboard. Treos and Blackberrys rose to the top and gave us the first wave of this technology. Apple pulled the wool over everyone's eyes and sent us backward technology-wise so that they could make more money releasing their product in other countries without hardware manufacturing changes to the keyboard.

    But hopefully smart smartphone companies will release multiple hardware versions of their phones so that everyone (or most people) can be happy with their preference. There is no reason why you cant have a full screen software keyboard phone and I can have one equally as good with a hardware keyboard.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I disagree as to most people complaining/not wanting a virtual keyboard and if you just look at the current turns the market has taken it is evident people are flocking to virtual keyboards.
    But I am sure plenty of people would like both I am in fact one of them I am just saying virtual keyboards are the next big thing.
    I'm not sure if the flocking to virtual keyboards thing is accurate here is why I think this.

    before the iphone, win mob was the primary touch screen device with treos being secondary. These phones were not popular to the general public at that point however and winmob phones were expensive and not as user friendly or intuitve. They did have keyboards most of the time though. Then the iphone came out. This phone had no keyboard and in my opinion does have a good virtual keyboard and if it had haptic it would be the best. That aside, many featured phones were released a year later with touchscreens. Touchscreens became the whole new wave and most of these new phones were all touch with no physical keyoards. Googles first few phones had physical keyboards but htc has since not made a phone with sense and a physical keyboard. Sense makes android much better in my opinion. Anyway this was not neccisarily a reflection of a preference of touch keyboards as touchscreens initially wanted to follow the iphone. I have many many friends and aquantances, all of which are not real techy like me, who want physical keyboards. They are more accurate from experience and have feedback and don't lag with UI. I think havin both is the best balance and when new phones are released, if a slate is made there should be an alternate with a keyboard just as good. I still know people with regular feature phones who want to switch from there simple flips to anyphone with a keyboard. So otuside of techworld I think people want keyboards more in general and as awedome as we tech people are, it's all the joes' that made the iphone a hit and the vkb was not the reason. I'd definitely like one available thogh so I an use my hone in landscape and I do agree to the good reasons why one should exist
  8. #68  
    who needs a physical keyboard when the phone isn't up to par otherwise? no big name apps, cheap hardware, no marketshare= no good apps.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    who needs a physical keyboard when the phone isn't up to par otherwise? no big name apps, cheap hardware, no marketshare= no good apps.
    meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions