Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    How does it do that? The slider mechanism has caused more problems than almost every other piece of hardware on Pre. Also it makes the Pre ~17mm thick, versus the 11mm thick N1 or 10mm thick Samsung Galaxy S. The Droid shows off a physical keyboard more than the Pre in my opinion. Fewer hardware problems and it is thinner than the Pre (13.7mm)
    You also have to use it with two hands and you already complained the Pre was hard enough to use one handed. I have small hands and much prefer the Pre's keyboard over the huge monstrosity sported on landscape models like the Moment and the Droid.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    How does it do that? The slider mechanism has caused more problems than almost every other piece of hardware on Pre. Also it makes the Pre ~17mm thick, versus the 11mm thick N1 or 10mm thick Samsung Galaxy S. The Droid shows off a physical keyboard more than the Pre in my opinion. Fewer hardware problems and it is thinner than the Pre (13.7mm)
    I actually played with a droid yesterday..... don't like the keyboard. Mainly because they spent so much time making it so thin, that the keys are worse that the keys on my laptop..... would slow me WAY down touch typing because there is almost no definition between the keys. The droid keyboard is damn near to typing on glass with the way they made the keys. Yeah you still get tactile response, but the fact that you can't really feel the keys was killing me when I played with it yesterday.

Just my opinion, but for everything droid does, I couldn't do that ****ing keyboard.
    I never said the Droid keyboard was good lol, but it is thinner and has fewer hardware problems than the Pre.

As far as one handed use goes, the Droid also has a built in software keyboard, which means I can still use it one handed, but that wasn't the point I was making above. I just wanted to point out that the Pre really didn't show off well that a physical keyboard was super viable. The thickness is a deal breaker for some, but the multitude of physical problems the Pre had with their slider does not make a very convincing argument to keep physical keyboards around. After all, more moving parts means more things that can break.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I personally prefer the physical keyboard, but I think this thread is just evidence to HP/Palm that there need to be more than just two options with webOS phones. If I could take my fiancee's Moment, strip off Android and put on webOS, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Pre is not much bigger than iPhone. And the fact Droid can have a physical keyboard thinner just adds more reason to go for a physical keyboard. Pre is just one example.

Pre: 100.5 x 59.5 x 16.9 133g
    Samsung Galaxy: 115.9 x 55 x 11.9 135g
    iPhone: 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 116.7g
    Droid: 115.8 x 60 x 13.7 169g
    Nexus One: 119 x 59.8 x 11.5 130g

Both Pre and Droid have keyboard and they are well within the same range as none keyboard phones. Pre is not much off from the rest of the group. Sure, Pre can take out the keyboard and make it much thinner, but the trade off is small.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Pre is not much bigger than iPhone. And the fact Droid can have a physical keyboard thinner just adds more reason to go for a physical keyboard. Pre is just one example.

Pre: 100.5 x 59.5 x 16.9 133g
    Samsung Galaxy: 115.9 x 55 x 11.9 135g
    iPhone: 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 116.7g
    Droid: 115.8 x 60 x 13.7 169g
    Nexus One: 119 x 59.8 x 11.5 130g
    And just for fun, some more specs:

HTC EVO 4G: 122 x 66 x 13 mm 170 g
    Nintendo DS Lite: 13373.921.87 mm
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    If we are using the iPhone as the baseline (12.3mm) then the Pre is ~37% thicker than the iPhone. That is not in the same range, that is a large thickness increase and there are people who still don't think the Pre has a good keyboard, but that is more opinionated.

The droid at 13.7 is only 11% thicker than the iPhone. But also remember that the new iPhone is thinner according to Gizmodo.

If we are using the iPhone as the baseline (12.3mm) then the Pre is ~37% thicker than the iPhone. That is not in the same range, that is a large thickness increase and there are people who still don't think the Pre has a good keyboard, but that is more opinionated.

The droid at 13.7 is only 11% thicker than the iPhone. But also remember that the new iPhone is thinner according to Gizmodo.
    I feel like with the Droid you can't compare it the pre because the KB sucks which is almost unanimous and it weighs much more than the pre
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    And just for fun, some more specs:

HTC EVO 4G: 122 x 66 x 13 mm 170 g
    Nintendo DS Lite: 13373.921.87 mm
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I feel like with the Droid you can't compare it the pre because the KB sucks which is almost unanimous and it weighs much more than the pre
    I actually think that is one reason why you need to compare it. Moto made it so thin, that a lot of its function was lost. It also ended up making the phone slightly heavier. The Pre would be heavier too if Palm had used glass instead of plastic for the screen.

Physical keyboards add bulk, and right now, people want slim and light. It will pass, just like a few years ago everyone wanted super small feature phones.

11.    #51  

Thinner doesn't mean better... People complain all the time about the pre keyboard,but never say anything- about the Iphone that doesn't carry a physical keyboard. Huh?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I would rather use Droid's software keyboard.
    Pre's screen isn't so great with a software keyboard.

Some of you have obviously not heard of swype.
    I would rather type on a virtual keybaord with swype than on a hardware keyboard anyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post

I would rather type on a virtual keybaord with swype than on a hardware keyboard anyday.
    Yes yes! I really want to try out Swype!

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

Pre is also the shortest one. Thickness is just one dimension.

And of course a keyboard will make a phone bigger, just imagine how Pre would be without it. But the sacrifice is not that much. 37% thicker did not put Pre at a big disadvantaged. No Pre user complained about the size or thickness about the Pre. I have not heard anyone on this forum quit Pre because of its thickness.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post

Swype looks nice and it is a good evolution of soft keyboard. But can people use it without looking at the keys? How does it deal with strange spellings, like usernames, passwd, email address, URL, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Thinner doesn't mean better... People complain all the time about the pre keyboard,but never say anything- about the Iphone that doesn't carry a physical keyboard. Huh?
    That is because the iPhone only has a software keyboard, and has since day one. It is also the best (or top 3 depending on how you feel about swype and the HTC Sense keyboard). I have watched my friends type just as fast on their iPhones as I do on my Pre (I can hit 40 words per minute). And yes, people do complain about the iPhone keyboard. If you head on over to the iphone blog I am sure you will find plenty of complaints.

And you are right, thinner doesn't mean better, but thicker doesn't mean better either. There will be a sweet spot that most of the phones will migrate towards. I mean the original smart phones, were giant bricks and everyone agrees that those designs were no good. The market is exploring the other way now, we are testing out super thin.

I guess I am playing devil's advocate here because I don't think there is a right answer here. Software keyboards are not all horrible and physical keyboards are not all wonderful. Both need to exist and both should exist. The concept that a design you dislike should not exist is wrong and foolish. The fact is that if you don't like the design, don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Swype looks nice and it is a good evolution of soft keyboard. But can people use it without looking at the keys? How does it deal with strange spellings, like usernames, passwd, email address, URL, etc?
    It can do single tap entries as well.

I imagine that eventually you will be able to use it without looking, but it will be much harder. It will not replace touch typing. But right now, it is the fastest keyboard on the planet. It actually holds the world record from Guinness IIRC for fastest SMS.

And then there is this dude named Mike Mo that breaks that record on his iPhone by typing the same phrase in 25 seconds. But I would be willing to bet that somebody here could type it even faster on their Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedisrus View Post
    And then there is this dude named Mike Mo that breaks that record on his iPhone by typing the same phrase in 25 seconds. But I would be willing to bet that somebody here could type it even faster on their Pre!
    video? Link?
    Hi all,

Virtual does not cut it in this world as a replacement for everything real, including a smart phone and chocolate etc.......

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast