Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I prefer physical keyboards myself but the Pre's keyboard is fundamentally flawed, cheaply made that doesn't register all key presses every time. Never had it so bad. Makes me scream for a virtual keyboard.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by samecolor View Post
    I prefer physical keyboards myself but the Pre's keyboard is fundamentally flawed, cheaply made that doesn't register all key presses every time. Never had it so bad. Makes me scream for a virtual keyboard.
    Mines work pretty well... no problem over here. Maybe you have a defective pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by samecolor View Post
    Actually unless you have a defective keyboard, you may want to look at some of the threads about this. There seams to be a software issue (software attempting to correct "incorrect" key presses). For example, after a space bar press, if you hit the letter c (and you are typing quickly) the c doesn't show up a lot of times.... this is not a hardware defect, but rather the way the software is attempting to "auto-correct".

Like I said do a search for some threads, this seams to be an issue with speed and the way the software is interpreting key press (meaning it wouldn't be any better on a VKB unless a different software algorithm was used). Also the reason I can say it is software (at least on my phone and some others) is because in other combinations of key presses the same key works fine. In current software versions there is a code written in that attempts to eliminate accidental adjacent key strikes.... it seams that either the code needs to be eliminated or needs to be written to have a smaller time between presses. For those of us that have some keying skill, it results in untyped letters because of the speed at which we are switching to the next key stroke (that may be a proper stroke but happens to be adjacent to the previous key stroke).
    used both, prefer physical keyboards if for nothing else the tactile experience of actually pressing buttons. To be 100% honest I wish it had the portrait slider keyboard AND a landscape virtual keyboard.

Even though virtual keyboards might make your phones smaller, they also make your screen a lot smaller and who wants that.
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    @rush - if you look at the layout of the keys (upper left corner), you will see "qwerty." The most ubiquitous layout on keyboards (even on-screen keyboards) is qwerty. There are other layouts as well but not common.

I am definitely an advocate of physical keyboards: faster, touch typing, etc. I love the Pre form factor and physical keyboard. I've used smartphones with physical keyboards (see sig) and they never went out on me.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I thought I preferred physical keyboards, but now I realize that pressing down each button gets tiring unless you have a nicely crafted blackberry.

TBH, a 4.3" screen will surely have large keys and with SWYPE technology, typing will be MUCH easier than hardware keyboard.
    People love to complain about their software keyboards, especially when THEY SUCK. If you're not on an Iphone, HTC, or nicely manufactured smartphone, then virtual keyboards suck.

Touch recognition on those dumbphones people carry around makes me want to shoot myself.
    Typing on the Pre is no piece of cake. Those buttons are barely above the back of the Pre and I require fingernails to be able to use it.

But with swype, you only lift your finger when you want to start a new word, which makes typing so much easier.
    People who say the VK takes up screen size... well, you don't always use it when you're browsing. You don't always have it open do you?

Not to mention sliding out the keyboard everytime you want to use it. It's great to just have a slab that can pop it out when you need it and retract it when you don't need it.

People need to try virtual keyboards on bigger screens. It's not that bad and I don't know how one can't adapt to it.
    Here's the problem with your love of swype..... still no tactile response (no touch typing), and for those of us that can type quite nicely on real keyboards, are not used to dragging our fingers to type.
    I am now able to type on pre without looking and no mistakes. Is this possible on glass?
    TBH, I have both on my Pre, I finally put the virtual keyboard patch on last week. They both have their uses, and I don't find the virtual 'board all that hard to use, BUT I can't type as confidently as I can on a physical keyboard. Maybe I'm a retro-grouch, but I'm much too used to a physical button press, rather than a light, accurate touch (I can be off by a good bit before I hit the wrong physical key, I have to be pretty much dead-on with a virtual key). For quick notes, a quick text session for a few minutes, or a contact search, sure. For anything else, no. Gotta have a real keyboard. I know, I know, get a Bluetooth keyboard........now, why would I buy a much larger phone, then add the same size again for a folding keyboard that isn't as accurate? Might as well carry a netbook and a cheapie flip phone, it'd be more useful.

Personally, I think you'll find most regular consumer users moving toward virtual keyboards for the reasons mentioned.....bigger screen, less moving parts, WOW factor (for now, until everybody has one), but guys like me that use a phone like the Pre, or my old Treos, or BB's, will always prefer a physical keyboard. One larger business I know of looked at the Nexus, and decided against it. The way they looked at it, yes, there's less moving parts, but if you drop a full screen, virtual keyboard phone and crack the screen, the keyboard might not work, requiring a replacement right away. Physical keyboard phones can be cracked, scratched, dented, generally abused to a much greater degree, and still retain keyboard functionality. I mean, drop and iPhone and damage the screen, you're looking at a fairly costly repair at best. I've got three older Treos that I've taken care of, but the screens got scratched from use, but it doesn't affect anything the phone is capable of.

That's my reasons, anyway. Personally, I'm not fond of slider designs, I'm too much of a clutz, but I'll take the trade-off for a nicer, larger screen. Not massively huge like the EVO, but bigger enough to make it worthwhile for my needs.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Why would anyone want to view media, browse websites, and play games on a smaller screen when you could have twice the viewing area on a thinner device?

Why would I want to view media, browse websites, and play games of a small screen of the EVO?

Thats what I have a laptop for
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Why would I want to view media, browse websites, and play games of a small screen of the EVO?

Thats what I have a laptop for
    Pain in the **** to use a laptop on a city bus. I agree on the screen size, though. Wasn't all that long ago phones were too big, and people wanted smaller, smaller, smaller............now it's all about bigger. I'd personally rather not carry around a cinderblock, thin or not (not to mention the horrendous battery life), but hey........I'm not a mobile media junkie either.
    I had the choice between and iPhone and the Palm Pre, and I chose the palm pre at the beginning purely for the fact that it has a physical keyboard. Virtual keyboards are fine for short little notes, but for long texts, I couldn't live with it.

To each their own, though..
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    The pre/plus has a qwerty keyboard,even though it's not the best..but it does the job. (For me that is) The new Evo coming out look good but not for me.. Where is the qwerty keyboard,oops! It doesn't have one. I would have to type on a huge glass that reminds me of my portable dvd player. I don't think so
    Hi all,

The reason I got my first Palm 7 1/2 years ago, was due to the keyboard, (Treo 300, 600, 650 & Centro). I have a great deal of arthritis in my hands and I cannot type on glass, (I have enough trouble with a keyboard, LOL). However, I do think there should be a virtual option on the Pre, for those who want it.

I would never get an Iphone or the miracle phone precisely b/c it does not have a keyboard. I am looking forward to the end of my Centro contract in Oct. I assume that Sprint will have a new Pre or what ever they will call it by then.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I also prefer a physical KB, having used both. And like others here, I find the Pre's screen big enough for viewing websites (hurray for multi-touch) and videos. I don't want to carry a big slab of a phone and will always prefer physical KB and touch typing vs. having to watch what I'm doing. I do realize, however, that for many people a larger phone with only VKB is their preferred form factor. I don't see why there can't be room for all types of form factors and preferences in the smartphone market.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    How true!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Before i had my Palm Pre i had an ipod touch, was still under contract with my old phone, thought i would buy the touch to see if i liked the whole idea of it before switching to an iphone.
    After the initial honeymoon period i found that i never used it for anything other than music, i did not like using it at home to surf the net because of the lack of a keyboard, i found the touch keyboard pretty tedious to use.
    Knowing this i started searching for a cell phone that had a keyboard, considered BB's, because they have very good keyboards generally. I had always liked the Pre since it had come out and decided to go with it, even though everyone thought the company was close to death at the time.
    With the Pre i find i use it all the time now, having the physical keyboard, for me, makes all the difference in the world. I also find it is much better with podcast management since i started using Drpodder, what a great app, over the air syncing while i sleep is just awesome!
    Andre
    I guess I will weigh in.

I want a native software keyboard on the Pre. The patched one is ok, but it needs to be much better. Here are my reasons.

1) I have small hands and I find it most difficult to type one handed on my Pre partially because I have to push in the keys and maintain a firm grip on the phone.

2) It annoys me to have to slide open the phone to type one word to reply to an SMS or email.

3) A landscape keyboard would be a nice option

4) Options are always a good thing. As 063_xobx said people currently seem to want a software keyboard, so why not give them the option. Palm saying they will only do physical keyboards and telling the consumer to "deal" with it, is no better than Apple saying they won't give iPod/iPhone/iPad users Flash.

I spent about 15 minutes in a Sprint store playing with a Hero and practicing typing on the keyboard. Honestly it wasn't bad at all. To all of those who have used an older software keyboard, I suggest taking another look at them, they have really improved. That being said, I don't think a virtual keyboard will ever replace a physical keyboard. But you have to think about the Pro's and Con's of each.

Sure I can touch type, and in general type faster on a physical keyboard and that is great for longer e-mails, but it requires added bulk or a reduced screen size (compare Pre vs Pixi). But a virtual keyboard lets you keep your phone thinner and reduce costs by needing less hardware. In addition by allowing for a larger screen you can actually make the keys larger on screen which makes it easier on older individuals who may not have the best vision in the world.

So both have their places. I think it makes sense for Blackberrys to have a physical keyboard because they heavy messaging machines. But devices like the Evo and iPhone, which are more media machines, a virtual keyboard makes more sense.

But I will point this out, WebOS will have a native software keyboard by the fall. How do I know this? Well, HP has pretty much said a WebOS tablet will exist by the holiday season, which means a virtual keyboard.

But at the end of the day, I thinking having both on a device is the best option. If HPalm is really smart they will release their next smartphone with two models. A thicker slider and a thinner slab. Same guts, only difference is do you want a keyboard or not.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    This sounds reasonable (and good) to me. ^^^
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I am with OP here. There are certainly pros and cons for any method. But with a physical keyboard, you can still get a virtual keyboard. If a hardware has no keyboard, you are out of luck and stuck.

Yes, physical keyboard makes the phone bigger and more complex. But Pre proves that it does not have be much bigger.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Yes, physical keyboard makes the phone bigger and more complex. But Pre proves that it does not have be much bigger.
    How does it do that? The slider mechanism has caused more problems than almost every other piece of hardware on Pre. Also it makes the Pre ~17mm thick, versus the 11mm thick N1 or 10mm thick Samsung Galaxy S. The Droid shows off a physical keyboard more than the Pre in my opinion. Fewer hardware problems and it is thinner than the Pre (13.7mm)
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast