1.    #1  
    I have been looking all over for any hints on if there is any way that I can access PAID apps on my Palm Pre that I am using on my Telstra Australian network.

I have managed to fix a few things and after the 1.4.1 update I am no longer roaming on my data connection and 3g works fine.

My biggest gripe is not being able to access paid applications from the App Catalog. I can use PreWare to see what apps are availabe even paid ones but when I click to install it it takes me to the App Catalog and doesnt let me as the app isnt there.

I really do not mind what way it can be done, even if I need to download them to my PC and then upload them myself manually via USB cable. I just want to be able to have access to Paid Apps.

Is it at all possible?? I do not care what it takes even if it voids warranty
  2.    #2  
    Thanks for your answer and link tomi666. It really sux cos I have finally found a device that I love (PRE) after going through about 15 phones in less than a year.

I was even thinking of selling my PRE for a PRE PLUS, but then I would be stuck with the exact same issue since Australia is not supported.

Hopefully someday they will open it up to the world or make it available offline or something.
  3.    #3  
    I have spoken to Palm support and they basically said they only take USA billing addresses and the reason I cannot see Paid Apps is because I am outside of the USA.

Last I heard the UK was not part of the USA and they are getting paid apps. The support rep Hillary said that she will forward on my request for future updates.

Which in other words they will do nothing about, as there is no WebOS device currently in Australia. So I dont think they would go to the trouble of openning up the app store to people here in AUS.

Well hopefully with HP on board something will happen for all of us
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Hillary is a dumb broad.

If you purchase another Pre, make sure it's been activated in an official country, and you should have access to paid apps.
    rwhitby's experience has me confused now. (http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ore-works.html) Seems that the Palm Profile comes into play (unless you are creating a new one at the point of origin)

I'm waiting on a AT&T Palm Pre Plus to arrive and the seller activated it for me using an existing Palm Profile that I had created. The country/language on that is set to Germany.

So will I be able to access US paid AppCat or German?
    Profile does not come into play. Entitlement is purely based on device, and first ever activation.
    In short:
    - a device activated in an official country, will always have access to paid apps, no matter what profile or country you use it with
    - a device activated in an unofficial country, will never have access to paid apps, no matter what profile or country you use it with, unless the initial activation country becomes official, or you're so linux-savvy (or lucky) you hack your way into the AppCat.

I know at least one user who has hacked his way into a paid AppCat and bought apps so it is possible.
    I reckon that that it clears it up now tomi These few threads on the topic had me confused. It appears that I'll be good to go with paid apps when it arrives
  6.    #6  
    Profile does not come into play. Entitlement is purely based on device, and first ever activation.
    In short:
    - a device activated in an official country, will always have access to paid apps, no matter what profile or country you use it with
    I could be wrong, but I read in some places that you would need a Credit Card or even Virtual Credit Card which matches the country that the PRE was activated in.

I once bought a used Pre on ebay, thinking it was used (and had access to paid apps) for a really nice price. Turned out it was never used and I bricked it app-wise
    So you can get them on eBay already activated say in the UK, USA etc.. and then I would be able to use it here in AUS just fine, sounds good. I mean the only things wrong with my device are;

1. No access to PAID APPS
    2. Would like a QWERTY, but hey I can live with a QWERTZ

The only thing I am afraid of buying a new PRE is that I am with TELSTRA Australia and for the first few weeks I was having really bad battery life cos Telstra was running on Constant (R) Roaming and I got rid of Roaming after updating to 1.4.1 via Pre's Website Doctor

The only current way of gaining Paid Apps at this stage is offline and is not at all fair on the app developer. It is unfair that the developer misses out on revenue for their hard work, due to palms stupidity. It be good if you could just bypass the Appstore and pay for the app directly to the developers Paypal account and then have them email me the .ipk file. That would be a viable legal workaround

By the way how did you brick your PRE tomi666? If you dont mind me asking and if we are allowed to discuss such a topic.
    Last edited by butterfingerz; 05/23/2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Changed Registered to Activated
  7.    #7  
    So I guess I should probably look at a QWERTY PRE PLUS that is second-hand and used by someone (obviously already activated) and then can I use my current palm profile still?

It's a shame as the developer now has to lose out for palms ridiculous filtering, which then would make me think that more new developers would steer clear away from the webOS platform until the future for webOS is decided. I am sure HP will change all this and market it correctly
    What if i activated it in unofficial country using USA VPN connection?
  9.    #9  
    I would of thought the US App Catalog would be bigger than the UK one?
    Never tried that. Pls note testing this will only make sense on a device that's never been activated before. Re-activating your device with another sim, in an official country or via proxy will not amount to anything.

If you're a daredevil, willing to risk throwing away his chances of paid apps in the AppCat, you could try something like this: metadoctor, take out the sim, set up your US vpn and create a profile. I don't assume these steps to be complete or the right procedure. And I'm not sure if the Pre will nag you for lack of a cell signal but any mistake of misassumption will leave you paid-app-less. You only get ONE shot at a first activation. I strongly advise against it.
    well i have to try this because my newbrand ppp at&t is coming in the way
    and i cant return it to active it in US, I will use a US VPN and I hope its work
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    did anybody try activation throw US VPN before?
    ====
    I don't think I'll go to US before 4 - 5 years
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Guys, it won't really help.

Mine was activated in Spain. I can see ALL the paid apps.

But I can't buy them.

If you find out how to get a EUROPEAN credit card in AUSTRALIA, let me know. 'Cause I'd love it.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfingerz View Post
    I have been looking all over for any hints on if there is any way that I can access PAID apps on my Palm Pre that I am using on my Telstra Australian network.

I have managed to fix a few things and after the 1.4.1 update I am no longer roaming on my data connection and 3g works fine.

My biggest gripe is not being able to access paid applications from the App Catalog. I can use PreWare to see what apps are availabe even paid ones but when I click to install it it takes me to the App Catalog and doesnt let me as the app isnt there.

I really do not mind what way it can be done, even if I need to download them to my PC and then upload them myself manually via USB cable. I just want to be able to have access to Paid Apps.

Is it at all possible?? I do not care what it takes even if it voids warranty

You're not missing out on anything. Being able to see them doesn't mean being able to buy them. Got a Spanish/UK/Luxembourgian credit card? If not, we're all S.O.L.