Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    My Palm Pre's keyboard has just stopped working for unknown reasons ( I didn't drop it or anything of the sort) and I have the $7 per month insurance on it and I was wondering what it would cost to get it replaced. And also, is it possible to get a Pixi back instead of a Pre? Because I've recently tried it out and it's build and keyboard is far superior. Thanks.
    Yikes, that's no good. This may be covered under warantee. I wouldtakke it into a Sprint store and seewhat they say. If it's not coveree under warantee, you'll have to make a claim with Asurion, the cell insurance provider for a cost of $100. As for wanting a Pixi insstead, I would ask. Considering it's a less expensive phone, hopefully they'll do that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowkong View Post
    My Palm Pre's keyboard has just stopped working for unknown reasons ( I didn't drop it or anything of the sort) and I have the $7 per month insurance on it and I was wondering what it would cost to get it replaced. And also, is it possible to get a Pixi back instead of a Pre? Because I've recently tried it out and it's build and keyboard is far superior. Thanks.
    before you do anything else, shut down the pre, pull the battery, wait 10 seconds, reinsert battery and load up the phone. Don't ask me why, but that often fixes the broken keyboard problem
    If there is no water damage, or signs of physical damage, it will be a free replacement.
    ps- dont get suckered into anything else but FREEEEEE
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I've done this often, the keyboard does work but it's very laggy and it shuts off again after a minute or so. I even completely restarted my phone and ereased everything on it and it still doesn't work.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    If there is no water damage, or signs of physical damage, it will be a free replacement.
    Well it has wear and tear from a year's use. Scratches pretty much all over but none affecting it's usability
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Just contact Palm direct and you get your phone replaced for free... I have a friend that works for PALM.. and I have gotten mine replaced. Ha also told me that that is the best way.. Remember you have 1 yr warranty with them...
    On a similar note, my touchscreen no longer works as of yesterday. I took it to Sprint, and they claimed they could do nothing with it because it has cracks in the casing. The phone wasn't dropped, the crack came from me trying to open the stupid USB door, being off a little to the side of it, and the plastic cracking off from pulling on that edge of the phone just near the door. It's actually in the shape of the arc of my fingertip. Has no bearing on the touchscreen (it seems like a short somewhere, it worked for a while if I opened and closed the slider with some force).

Anyway, I called Sprint at the store, and the rep claimed that due to the plastic breaking off, it voided my warranty, and I'd have to pay for a replacement through Asurion. Sounds like nonsense to me, and I'd probably just sell the replacement Pre and use it to help pay my ETF, out of principle -- won't stand for being jerked around when there's other options out there.

I got mine last July, so I'm still under Palm warranty. Anyone else besides the guy right above me have luck going through Palm instead when the flimsy plastic breaks off?
    FYI, until the warranty is up the only time you would have to use your insurance is if the phone was stolen, lost, or damaged in a manner not covered by the warranty. But, it's good that you have insurance because they won't let you buy it except when you first activate the phone on your account... and it will be handy to have in year 2 of the contract...
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    On a similar note, my touchscreen no longer works as of yesterday. I took it to Sprint, and they claimed they could do nothing with it because it has cracks in the casing. The phone wasn't dropped, the crack came from me trying to open the stupid USB door, being off a little to the side of it, and the plastic cracking off from pulling on that edge of the phone just near the door. It's actually in the shape of the arc of my fingertip. Has no bearing on the touchscreen (it seems like a short somewhere, it worked for a while if I opened and closed the slider with some force).

Anyway, I called Sprint at the store, and the rep claimed that due to the plastic breaking off, it voided my warranty, and I'd have to pay for a replacement through Asurion. Sounds like nonsense to me, and I'd probably just sell the replacement Pre and use it to help pay my ETF, out of principle -- won't stand for being jerked around when there's other options out there.

I got mine last July, so I'm still under Palm warranty. Anyone else besides the guy right above me have luck going through Palm instead when the flimsy plastic breaks off?
    I always recommend calling the carrier's support number. The store reps are paid to sell new stuff, and they don't want to hassle with problems. The customer service reps are measured on how happy you are with their service... and they aren't standing there looking at the phone to find ways to blame you for the problem.

I would call your carrier and tell them you have a hardware problem and that you would like them to send a warranty replacement to you. I see no reason why you should have to pay anything to solve a problem like this during the first year. IMHO

If they made me pay, I'd switch back to an older phone, and then switch carriers as quickly as possible. But my experience with Sprint/VZ/AT&T is that they will do the right thing if you call them and talk calmly.
    If you have to go to a store for service make sure you go to the nearest "repair facility" because they are more sympathetic when it comes to issues with the hardware and most times they won't care if the phone is a little worn especially if you have insurance on the phone. I've had to take several phones in for replacement and they always givin me another device even when the old one had a few scratches. Be for warned though if the phone looks abused they will not replace it in store.
    It was the repair facility I went to actually. I came back after leaving it there for an hour, and the guy said they could not work on it (like they were gonna do anything to fix it ...) because of the plastic bits broken off near the USB door. I told him that was silly, the plastic breaking near the door was a common complaint, and it had no bearing on the touchscreen functionality. He said that there was nothing he could do, and directed me to the phone to call customer service. Which I did, and that person also claimed that the crack voided my warranty, and Palm would just reject it if they tried to send it in.

In all my time with Sprint, I've never used my insurance or warranty. Now I see how much trouble it is when I actually DO have a problem, and I'm just not so sure I want to continue with them. The $140 ETF will hurt though -- not spending another year with them if they don't resolve this properly.
    next time you call customer service, tell them about the problem, but don't tell them about the crack because it is unrelated to the problem... Sometimes if you over share, it just gives them something to worry about that isn't related.

Essentially that repair guy should have been able to just put your screen on a different phone if that was such a big deal. In reality, he probably doesn't have training on how to fix a Palm phone, and they probably don't have parts in stock. So it was easier for him to just throw up his hands because your problem is above his pay grade.

Even of the screen crack is an issue, and even if it is your fault... they still owe you a working keyboard. Try a different approach over the phone to Sprint customer service, and just ask to speak to a supervisor. Escalate until you find someone that has some discretion in their job function.

"Hello Sprint, my keyboard stopped working. Can you help me fix that? (insert questions from support script). Ok, I can try that. Nope didn't help. Nope, that didn't work either...

Eventually they will hit the point in the script where there is nothing else to try, and they will suggest that they need to send another phone... Because they weren't distracts by information that wasn't specific to the problem you called about.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/31/2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Might try that. Hopefully it's not noted on my record.
    You can also try going to a different repair facility, some of them do care about making there customers happy.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    When I had issues with a previous carrier working on my phone (an issue similar to yours) the first people I talked to on the phone were no help and neither were two stores I went to. I was not very happy and was at the point I wanted to drop them even if I had to pay an early termination fee. When I told the people in the store it would be cheaper for me to go to another carrier because the fee was less than they were asking to replace the phone and I could get a free one elsewhere. All they said was "if that's what you want to do, OK" I was so PO'd at their attitude I said then I want to terminate my account. I was informed I had to call an 800# to do that. Of course that made me even more PO's so I called as soon as I got home. It seems the termination number gets you to a different location and they asked why I wanted to leave them after being with them for so many years. I told them my story and the person said, will you stay with us if I send you a new phone overnight? I told them that's all I was asking for in the first place! I did stay with them but only long enough to get to the end of my contract time.

Long story short, find out how to get to the line where you want to terminate and then see if they will help...
    Cheers,

Peaty
    I Also had the same thing happen to me at the Sprint store. They didn't even recommend that i send it off to Palm. Palm CS asked if i had dropped the phone and if it had physical damage from dropping. When i told the no. They said send it in we will repair it. They repaired it in about 4 days. PS be sure to remove your battery. they won't send it back if you leave it in the phone. Also they wipe your phone so back up your photos etc.
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    I also told Palm that it is a known issues about the cracks coming from the USB door. It's on Palm's forum.Good luck. you should have no problem if you haven't dropped the phone and it doesn't show physical damage. Outside of having to pay for shipping it to Palm.
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    Well, we have a carrier down here called Cellular South that has a "we'll pay your ETF" promotion going on, so if trying a different repair center and then trying to terminate doesn't work, I'll happily switch. Well not too happily, I was really looking forward to grabbing an Evo in July, but ah well. I actually like Sprint for the most part, so hopefully they won't be hardasses about this. If I'd dropped it or somehow been responsible for the touchscreen dying, I'd pay the deductible, but I didn't, and I won't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast