Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wait, you are planning to defect over to an EVO? that's not what we want to hear... LOL!
    Well I love WebOS, but I've treated this Pre kindly and it's still falling apart on me. I've had enough.
    Ok, a little update, not that anyone cares Went to a different Sprint store today and got the same result. So I called Sprint from inside the store, told them I wanted to cancel, and I guess they sent me to retentions, because they suddenly became very cooperative. Long story short, after about 45 minutes on the phone, the Sprint rep going back and forth between me and the store manager, they moved my eligibility date to today, they're giving me a nice discount on an Evo on Friday, some bill credits, and they're buying back my Pre. Since the Evo isn't out til Friday, I won't know for sure what all of these credits and buybacks will equal, but I wasn't out to get a discount, I just wanted them to honor the warranty, so I'm happy with whatever. I didn't go in yelling or being rude to anyone, I just wanted to be treated like the valuable customer (I think) I am.

So ... goodbye Pre. WebOS deserves a better phone, it's a shame. Would be great to see Palm farm the OS out to some quality phone makers, but I guess that'll never happen.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It's a shame you have to go through the trouble of wanting to leave before they will attempt to make things right.
    Cheers,

Peaty
    well atleast you got some satisfaction and a new phone on the way. Let us know how you like the new phone.
    you are very lucky! i want an evo lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
    It's a shame you have to go through the trouble of wanting to leave before they will attempt to make things right.
    Yeah, thankfully in the end, they did the right thing. I felt like Porter in "Payback," trying to tell everyone, to their disbelief, that he just wanted his $70,000 cut -- except I was trying to convince Sprint that I didn't want the world, I just wanted my phone replaced under warranty. Would've been fine with another Pre, but it wasn't even offered to me (they offered a Samsung Moment or HTC Hero at first).

By the way, I'd forgotten how tough it is to text on a flip phone (they gave me a returned phone to use until Friday since my Pre was stuck at the language select prompt). Thank goodness for smartphones.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Well I love WebOS, but I've treated this Pre kindly and it's still falling apart on me. I've had enough.
    I feel your pain. I got my Sprint Pre last August and have had no problems until about a month ago when the phone was stuck in headset mode. I tried all of the suggestions and could not get it fixed. So I went to BestBuy to use my Black Tie service through Geek Squad and promptly left and cancelled my insurance through them. I don't have enough time to explain that whole situation except to say don't use the Geek Squad services period. You'll be disappointed otherwise.

Anyway... Went to Sprint and had a replacement ordered (1 yr warranty refurbish) which I got last Friday. Everything seemed fine with it but then after I left the store I realized the volume down button would not work and the back light behind half of the keyboard was not working. Went back by the Sprint store and had another replacement ordered that came in today. Just went to the store to pick it up. Popped in my battery and put the back cover on and noticed a big gap on the top of the phone. Slid it open and the phone plastic is all kinds of jacked up and not even assembled correctly.

So now I'll have to see Thursday when my 4th Palm Pre comes in to see what kind things will be wrong with it. I had read on these forums of people getting 4-8 replacement Palm Pre phones and was a skeptic until now. Only two more months left until I can get a new phone. I just want a Pre that looks and works right for two months and then I will look at other options. The OS is great, but the hardware is horrible. I was really hoping to be one of the many who still have their original Pre and experiencing no problems.
    Might be new phone infatuation, but this Evo is incredible. I still find myself swiping things on the screen out of habit, but not as much as before. It's definitely an impressive phone. It seems a little more awkward and disorganized than WebOS, but I'll get used to it. I read complaints about the battery life before I bought mine, but I took it off the charger at 12:30pm today, and when I put it back on the charger at 8:30pm, it still had 40% left. Beats the Pre that would mysteriously drain in a few hours on some days.

If WebOS had come out on this kind of hardware, things might have been different for Palm. I do miss the touchstone -- I'd forgotten the hassle that is plugging and unplugging the charging cable, but I did it for years before, it's not like it's something new to me.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    My Pre has been awesome. Last week I pulled the usb door out while trying to open it. Now the charger doesn't connect consistly...may have to take it in and out before it detects the charger.

is that warranty or insurance? Who do I call?
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    same thing happen to me with my tp, I got a feeling that the phones with moving parts don't hold up to well. The worse part about it is sprint knows the pre has issues but they deny you a claim because of a crack when the pre usually cracks by the usb port. I went through the same thing with my tp.

same crap man. Sprint sucks with this insurance thing. This is why berrys and iphones don't need insurance huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    It was the repair facility I went to actually. I came back after leaving it there for an hour, and the guy said they could not work on it (like they were gonna do anything to fix it ...) because of the plastic bits broken off near the USB door. I told him that was silly, the plastic breaking near the door was a common complaint, and it had no bearing on the touchscreen functionality. He said that there was nothing he could do, and directed me to the phone to call customer service. Which I did, and that person also claimed that the crack voided my warranty, and Palm would just reject it if they tried to send it in.

In all my time with Sprint, I've never used my insurance or warranty. Now I see how much trouble it is when I actually DO have a problem, and I'm just not so sure I want to continue with them. The $140 ETF will hurt though -- not spending another year with them if they don't resolve this properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    My Pre has been awesome. Last week I pulled the usb door out while trying to open it. Now the charger doesn't connect consistly...may have to take it in and out before it detects the charger.

is that warranty or insurance? Who do I call?
    Under 12 months, and if it's a mechanical defect, use the warranty. After 12 months, your warranty is up and you have to use insurance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12