Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I was recording my (to be in a month) 3-year old daughter bouncing around in one of those inflatable castles. Everytime she fell and tumbled, she was pixelated. Basically everytime the cpu had to work harder at recording and compressing a moving subject, it would fail badly.

Is this something I should expect every time out of the pre's video recorder or would a reboot of the phone fix it?
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Rebooting probably won't help-- what you're seeing is a result of the compression algorithm, not the CPU.

Specifically, the Pre has a pre-set "quality level" which dictates the maximum amount of data that can be generated when changing from one frame to another.

Compression usually works by trying to just send the pixels that change from frame to frame. If too many pixels change (which would happen if there's a lot of motion), then you exceed the data limit, and the compression algorithm compensates for that by tossing some of the data, resulting in pixelation.

Someone probably could hack the Pre to boost the quality level to reduce pixelation, but that would come at the cost of bigger video files.
    It's probably the best that you can get out of a camera phone. What do you expect? Could it use improvements? No doubt, but I'm quite content with the capabilities it has now.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    i'm willing to cut the pre a lot of slack, but this is just bs.
    Yea I get it some at times... idk y.. o well its fine for now till they come out with the ALL NEW SUPER-DUPER PRE PLUS OMEGA 2 :O lol nah just a Pre 2 will be fine xD
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    I was recording my (to be in a month) 3-year old daughter bouncing around in one of those inflatable castles. Everytime she fell and tumbled, she was pixelated. Basically everytime the cpu had to work harder at recording and compressing a moving subject, it would fail badly.

Is this something I should expect every time out of the pre's video recorder or would a reboot of the phone fix it?
    what a shock. either thru a failure of hardware or software, yet another poorly executed function from palm. one can only pray that HP brings some quality control to palm. they are seriously out of control with the crap they put out. palm doesn't deserve the loyalty from its user base with the way we have been treated. yet we come back for more like abused wives...
    Not for nothing, But what do you want from a 3-megapixel camera?
    If you choke a smurf what color would it turn?

SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
    I think recorded video looks great. Low light isn't good but what do you expect with the size lens they are using.

OP, why don't you post a video of what you are talking about. You don't have to show us your daughter but I am sure you can reproduce it some other way.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I have the same problem and also many times the audio is out of sync with video. Rebooting seems to help. I agree ...BS!