1.    #1  
    Just brought home my first Palm device 2 days ago; the Pre Plus from Verizon. First thing I thought, was sweet; I haven't had a smart phone in 2yrs. Last one was a windows mobile device with very few games/apps, so I was hoping this one would be worth the extra cash. Anyways, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the Pre Plus. Alot nicer than I expected; only downside was I didn't like the keyboard, but the virtual keyboard app is nice . That and battery life sucks...I have mine plugged into a USB port ATM with nothing but messenger running, and I can watch my battery life drain....No back services, GPS turned off, wifi turned on, etc etc. I've followed all the guides on here on maximizing battery life; I understand it's still a new battery and needs to be conditioned before I'll see full use of it, but I didn't expect to sit here and watch it drain as I'm texting my g/f....Like I said, all cards are closed, and I don't think anything should be draining the battery this bad....You guys think I have a bad battery? I've only ran it fully dead once, yesterday. I let it charge up over night, and took it off the charger around 7 this morning...it's 2pm, it's at 43 %...nope, now 42%....all in all, great device, and blows my g/f's iPhone out of the water :P. Just wished the battery was longer. Also, I bought a body glove case for it (I need something with a belt clip), so I can't use an extended battery either ...
    I'm seeing the same short battery life (4 days now). I have only drained to <10% once then fully charged it. Today I will let it shut down at 0% then charge it up. I'll do that a couple time before giving my final verdict on the Pre's battery life.

At the moment, if I have 100% at 9pm, it will be around 78% by 6am the next day (zero use). I charged it back up to 100% at 7am. It's back down to 35% at 11am with moderate email usage (Exchange, gmail, and yahoo accounts) and logged into 1 IM account. This is with a few minutes of FB / Twitter checking and general tweaking (no games) as I'm still exploring the phone. There is no way the charge will last past lunch at this rate. I'm not sure how accurate the % meter patch is, but I do see that thing drop quick doing nothing but staring at it!

This is making my iPhone 3G look like a battery champ. I can make it the whole day (7am - 9pm) on a single charge. But in every other way, I much prefer the Pre+.
    There are extended batteries that you can purchase that you don't use the bigger back cover like the seidio 1350 or amzer 1400 and they can be used with the touchstone back cover.

The seidio you can purchase through this website. The amzer I don't remember where you can purchase it, but you can try sites like ebay or amazon, altough I am not sure of this.

There are other threads on these topics you brought up, you may want to search for them. The threads will tell you how to reduce battery drain, if you haven't done it already.
    IM is a battery hog, another reason I'm glad I never got into using IM. And I wish the Pre didn't log you in every time you doctor the freaking phone, but anyway...

The Pre gets about 2% per hour drain on standy, which looks about right according to your usage. I'd probably leave it on the Touchstone at night or put it in airplane mode while I slept, unless you need to be on call for something, because then it'll use 2-3% for the whole night.

I only have one email account, but I have it set to as items arrive. Doesn't really drain my battery that much. I don't have GPS on all the time (I will cut it on for navigation if I don't know where something is), but I do use bluetooth in the car.

With the heavy use I put my phone through (email, extreme bursts of web/rss/digg use, music, some youtube, some music streaming), the phone gets anywhere from about seven to ten hours. Not a killer for me, I just picked up an extended battery and didn't really have anymore usage problems. But then I got a Touchstone and a free standard battery, so now I just switch between standard batteries if I need to.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Good to know about the extended capacity battery that does NOT require a new back...I like the slim look of the OEM back. I'll look into that as an option. As it is, I can make it work for my use. Maybe I should just remove the % meter so I won't see it!

But yea, during work I leave it on the Touchstone...but only until it hits 100%. I usually just take it off and let it sit 'cool' on my desk. And when at my desk, I logout of IM on the Pre. So basically the only thing running at that point are my email accounts...all set to get when email arrives (push).
    Quote Originally Posted by iPilot View Post
    Good to know about the extended capacity battery that does NOT require a new back...I like the slim look of the OEM back. I'll look into that as an option. As it is, I can make it work for my use. Maybe I should just remove the % meter so I won't see it!

But yea, during work I leave it on the Touchstone...but only until it hits 100%. I usually just take it off and let it sit 'cool' on my desk. And when at my desk, I logout of IM on the Pre. So basically the only thing running at that point are my email accounts...all set to get when email arrives (push).
    They exist, but I don't recommend them as I don't really see the point in paying that much money for another hour, MAYBE two, of usage. For $10 more, you can get double the battery life. It's pretty much equivalent to buying a second standard battery, but for $20 more than a standard battery.

Battery Prices on Amazon.com:

Pre Standard Battery - 1150: $15.52
    Seidio - 1350: $39.90
    Seidio - 2600: $49.10
    Last edited by malpha; 05/21/2010 at 02:09 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kid james View Post
    There are extended batteries that you can purchase that you don't use the bigger back cover like the seidio 1350 or amzer 1400 and they can be used with the touchstone back cover.

The seidio you can purchase through this website. The amzer I don't remember where you can purchase it, but you can try sites like ebay or amazon, altough I am not sure of this.

There are other threads on these topics you brought up, you may want to search for them. The threads will tell you how to reduce battery drain, if you haven't done it already.
    Yeh, I did a little searchin on the extended batteries, but I don't see why the original would fade that quick....I've looked at some other threads, and done everything they mentioned. I know it's just a USB port, so it's about 1/2 the rate, but I thought it would charge it, not just delay the draining :P

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    The Pre gets about 2% per hour drain on standy, which looks about right according to your usage. I'd probably leave it on the Touchstone at night or put it in airplane mode while I slept, unless you need to be on call for something, because then it'll use 2-3% for the whole night
    I thought about getting the app that does that, but with my luck I will miss an important call...This is my only phone, and only means of contact besides my g/f's phone, so.....

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    They exist, but I don't recommend them as I don't really see the point in paying that much money for another hour, MAYBE two, of usage. For $10 more, you can get double the battery life. It's pretty much equivalent to buying a second standard battery, but for $20 more than a standard battery.

Battery Prices on Amazon.com:

Pre Standard Battery - 1150: $15.52
    Seidio - 1350: $39.90
    Seidio - 2600: $49.10
    Exactly why I'm not that interested in one. Maybe the 2600maH, just so you don't have to lug around another battery, but still not looking too great to me

I think I might have had an app/patch install improperly or something. I went back and uninstalled a few patches after my first post, and now it seems to be doing better....Have it plugged into the wall now, and it's gone up 10% in the time it took me to write this....Just switched to the USB port and it's still increasing
    AIM consumes 2-3% prprpr $hr$. $make$ $sure$ $email$ $checking$ $is$ $not$ $too$ $frequent$, $this$ $consumes$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $battery$. $one$ $email$ $checking$ $session$ $may$ $consume$ $1$-$2$% $battery$ ($or$ $more$ $depends$ $how$ $many$ $accounts$ $and$ $how$ $long$ $the$ $session$ $is$).

wifi shouldn't be disabled, it is quite battery efficient, especially when you have weak network signal, wifi will save much more battery.