Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been visiting PreCentral for the last year with a high level of interest in WebOS but have not been able to get a Pre or Pre Plus yet myself. However, my brother is on AT&T and is at a point now where he wants to get a new phone and I'd like to see him get a Pre Plus. He has done some research himself and is aware of WebOS and has heard about the Pre from me.

He wants to go to the AT&T store (I'm making sure it is a corp store) and try out the different phones himself to see what he likes and I'm going with him as I know the reps may steer him toward what they personally like, and I want to make sure he gets to see what each phone is truly like so he can make his own decision. I think it really will come down to the one he likes most from physically seeing and using it. So here are the points I'm requesting your input/advice on:

1. What do you think would be the best features I could demonstrate to him on a demo phone that would show him how great the Pre Plus and WebOS are? He's not a tech geek and uses his current phone as a phone and for text messaging mostly. Don't think Synergy will be a big selling items so I think that gestures and notifications will probably be 2 key things. Any recommendations on what would be best in those areas to demo and resources on how to do them so I can be prepared when we go tomorrow (especially not having physically used a Pre yet myself)? I need to keep this somewhat simple so homebrew, overclocking and probably even apps won't be good selling points for him.

2. His receptionist has a BB and raves about it to him so he's considering that. What do you think would be the biggest negatives for a non-techie about getting a BB?

3. There will likely be some Android phones there and I know that they can look pretty impressive. I don't think that he will consider any without a physical keyboard as he's said he doesn't like the onscreen keyboard on his LG Vu. But if there are some with a physical keyboard, what about those do you think would demonstrate that WEbOS would be a better choice?

4. If he does decide to get the Pre Plus he may want to save money and get it on Wirefly rather than in the store. I know that one downside is that we would have to set up his Palm profile and activate rather than having someone in the store do it (right?). I also know that they sell a protection plan for $49.99 for a year and you can replace the phone up to 3 times in the year including if you lose it but you have to send it back to them rather than take it into the store. Anyone have experience with this and would you recommend or not recommend going with the online purchase?

Any feedback, suggestions, advice will be appreciated. He will ultimately make his own decision of what is best for him - I just want to make sure the the Pre Plus and WebOS are given a fair chance by making sure he can see what it can do.

Thanks!
    It would be impossible for me to help you convince your brother because I wouldn't recommend this phone to my worst enemy. Personally, I can't wait to get out of it. You'll never hear an iPhone user say that. I used to think that iPhone fans were just fan boys, glued to their outdated hardware based on some irrational admiration of Apple, but this phone made me reconsider that position. Recommend him a good Android-based phone and save him the headaches of owning a Pre. The pre is great when it works, but sadly you can't always expect it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by cw-re View Post
    1. What do you think would be the best features I could demonstrate to him on a demo phone that would show him how great the Pre Plus and WebOS are? He's not a tech geek and uses his current phone as a phone and for text messaging mostly. Don't think Synergy will be a big selling items so I think that gestures and notifications will probably be 2 key things. Any recommendations on what would be best in those areas to demo and resources on how to do them so I can be prepared when we go tomorrow (especially not having physically used a Pre yet myself)? I need to keep this somewhat simple so homebrew, overclocking and probably even apps won't be good selling points for him.
    People don't realize what they really want until someone shows them what they are missing. I do think Synergy is a big selling point once a person realizes how it streamlines everything. Having the ability to have all of your contacts linked together from multiple email accounts and sites like facebook really does bring a polished feel and smoothness to using WebOS. It's tough to show on a store demo since there are no accounts in the email and address book, but it really is an amazing way of pulling all of your data together smoothly.
    Also show him how easy it is to open an application, swipe up from the gesture area to minimize the app to a card (and keep the app running), and open up a new app... minimize that and go back to the previous card. The multitasking abilities of WebOS are outstanding - with the ability to keep open applications available in 'cards' that you can easily switch between (without having to close programs to get to others).

2. His receptionist has a BB and raves about it to him so he's considering that. What do you think would be the biggest negatives for a non-techie about getting a BB?
    BB is an older interface and not as smooth. They are definitely great email devices, but that's about it. If you look at the new BB that is coming out, it actually looks like a Pre with the slide-out keyboard (so you know the Pre has a great form factor if it's being copied). If ALL your brother wants to do is email and basic stuff, the BB is fantastic. But the Pre allows for multiple Exchange accounts, multiple gmail, yahoo, etc... accounts and multiple messaging accounts also. The web browser is great, with a fantastic screen. Playing music and movies is as simple as drag-drop onto the device as it can be accessed as a USB storage device when plugged into a computer - no need for specialty software. BUT.. there are fantastic free 3rd party apps that allow syncing of music, playlists, and movies through them to the Pre. Sooo much you can do with this device.

3. There will likely be some Android phones there and I know that they can look pretty impressive. I don't think that he will consider any without a physical keyboard as he's said he doesn't like the onscreen keyboard on his LG Vu. But if there are some with a physical keyboard, what about those do you think would demonstrate that WEbOS would be a better choice?
    There are a lot of different flavors of Android as each company can skin them as they wish. The Android phones have some nice candy-bar form factors to them, but as far as an operating system goes... it's still extremely clunky. Yes, there are a lot more apps for android, but really.. who cares after a certain amount. For me, it was all about form and function. I liked the form of the Androids, but after using one for a month, I couldn't stand how unfinished the OS felt, and how scattered everything seemed. It made me feel like there were so many thought processes involved in making the Android OS, that there was no clear design implementation. Its simply not a smooth OS (IMHO).
    Having a physical keyboard on the Pre is fantastic. It takes a short 'getting-used-to' period, but once you play with it - its so much better feeling, and faster than a virtual keyboard.

4. If he does decide to get the Pre Plus he may want to save money and get it on Wirefly rather than in the store. I know that one downside is that we would have to set up his Palm profile and activate rather than having someone in the store do it (right?). I also know that they sell a protection plan for $49.99 for a year and you can replace the phone up to 3 times in the year including if you lose it but you have to send it back to them rather than take it into the store. Anyone have experience with this and would you recommend or not recommend going with the online purchase?
    Setting up a Palm profile is extremely easy. I would suggest setting up a gmail account ahead of time (if he hasn't already), and then simply entering that as your Palm profile info - you will see when it prompts you just how easy it is to get the thing up and running.
    As far as a protection plan, I have my phone through Sprint and pay ~$5/mo for the insurance coverage. If you have the extra money to spend, I would suggest getting the insurance plan no matter what phone you get. I sold electronics for 15 years and hated 'warranty' plans... but this is one are I do feel they are worth the investment. I would personally get a phone from a physical store as this makes warranty/insurance issues much easier and faster to resolve. But you definitely can get great deals on-line too. Just go where you feel you don't just get the best price, but the best service and help too.

Hope that helps!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to everything in my post.

Don't know if I could get him to buy in-store - will be $100 to $150 more unless they drop their in-store price.

Do you know if notifications can be shown on a store demo? I think the unobtrusive notifications would be something he'd like.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to everything in my post.

Don't know if I could get him to buy in-store - will be $100 to $150 more unless they drop their in-store price.

Do you know if notifications can be shown on a store demo? I think the unobtrusive notifications would be something he'd like.
    Do you mean - can you fully play with the phone and set up calendar reminders and notifications to show how they work? If so, the answer would be YES. I've actually downloaded full games like Need for Speed (demo) to the store demos and left them running so people could see what the phone could do.

If you go in and play with a live phone, you will be able to pretty much play with all available features on the device to see just how cool the OS is and how smooth notifications are!
    I don't think you should try and convince him as much as maybe showing him what the pre and its competitors can do. The pre is a great phone but it isn't for everybody, and you probably don't want your brother to make a two year commitment to something he doesn't particularly love. Luckily, there isn't too much competition at AT&T so I would show him the blackberrys, the pre, and the iphone. I would show him how much better the pres internet browser is, and how you can just start typing from the home screen to quickly do a google search. I would also show him how easy it is to switch between apps. Don't forget to show him the wave launcher while your in an app. Every time I do that while someone is checking out my phone I get a wow from them. Make sure to woosh it around a little lol, the animation is pretty cool.

I think it will be pretty easy to demonstrate the shortcomings of blackberry, unless hes got a lot of friends that use bbm, it really has no advantage. Its also pretty lucky that AT&T has no real android phones. It would be worth mentioning that the ones they have now aren't well reviewed. Then theres the iphone, which he probably already knows about if he hasn't been living under a rock for the past three years.

Overall, I would say it shouldn't be too hard to show him the pre is better than most of the phones there, with the exception of maybe the iphone, and I think if hes not one to care about apps then the pre will maybe be a bit more appealing because of the keyboard.
    demo phone has limited functional features, if any at all.

You could show off yours to him, easier, and more practical.
    i just kept talking my brothers sanyo phone before he eventually caved and bought a pre
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    i just kept talking my brothers sanyo phone before he eventually caved and bought a pre
    Hahaha... sibling trash talking! I've done it too
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    The pre is great when it works, but sadly you can't always expect it to.
    elaborate..?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    demo phone has limited functional features, if any at all.

You could show off yours to him, easier, and more practical.
    The OP said he doesn't have a Pre yet so he doesn't have one to demonstrate.
    also....there are lots of you tube vids of the pre in action......let him watch some of those...
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    elaborate..?
    Well my guess is he'll pass along a bunch of anecdotal evidence from the early days of the Pre and use that. And lets be honest the hardware quality still isnLt up to par. With that been said the UI on WebOS is the best out there. More APIs need to be opened up but even now the OS can do 90% of anything else any other OS can and can do somethings no other OS can.

My adice to the original poster is to find a working Pre+ somewhere and baring that the videos on Palm's website do a pretty good job on coveying the OS Look_ feel, and functionality. With all this been said though if the OP's brother is a huge email user then it's hard to recommend the Pre, it's email app just isn't as smooth as the other OSs out there.
  14.    #14  
    The plan was to go this afternoon but about 6:30p yesterday he called and asked if I wanted to go tonight. We went to the corporate store in Dunedin and got there about 7:15pm (they close at 8pm).

Salesguy was great. My brother said he wanted to see the Pre Plus and he took us right over to it. He had nothing but good things to say about it and he had an iPhone himself. Brought up several things it did that he felt was better than the iPhone and said it had the best graphics for games of any phone currently available (had an Asphalt demo on it). Also said the OS is already very good but is newer and with HP partnership it will get even better as time goes on. He said they'd had training on it and a Palm Rep in to help with questions. Also commented on number of apps for iPhone vs. Pre and said that a large number of the iPhone apps were garbage so it's not the quantity that's important. Even brought up Jobs' rant on Flash and since he uses Macs at home wondered whether Adobe would be peeved and stop making software for Apple products like before (didn't know that but apparently he did).

Told my brother that BB was very good as a phone and probably best for email but not that great for the web and other things in comparison to others. Said Android was more geared toward people into social networking.

My brother really liked the Pre Plus and decided to get it then and there plus leather case, extra battery and Jabra Cruiser for bluetooth through his car stereo (plus the Touchstone dock that comes with it). He stayed up till 1am playing with it and then was up from 5am to 7am and was all excited about downloading apps like Pandora and some of the free games. Keep in mind he was using an LG Vu which was a nightmare and not much of a smartphone so just the basics of using the Pre and its more basic features plus some of the apps were like heaven to him.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I pretty much let the phone and OS do the 'convincing' and all I did was bring up things that the salesguy then demoed, to make sure my brother got the full experience.

Solarus - he has not been doing any emailing from his phone up to now, just texting. He will probably use his Pre Plus for handling email but even though it may not handle email as well as say BB, for him it will be great.

All in all I have to say that despite any problems it may have, the Pre Plus and WebOS are pretty amazing.
    Step 1: Don't let him read this forum, he'll hate the phone.
    Tell him if he buys a palm device it will make his *IC* longer by 2 inchs.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    glad he picked it up. My suggestion was going to be to punch him in the face. Lol. But looks like that tactic wasn't necessary. That's usually my default solution to just abt any problem
    I'm sure it was my suggestion for demoing the wave launcher that finally sold him on it
    Awesome follow-up post OP! Hate to imagine what the outcome would have been if you hadn't have gotten a great salesperson!
    It's good to hear that AT&T isn't blindly pushing the iPhone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast