Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. mwangkc's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
       #1  
    No details yet about the ad content coming from my source within their Minneapolis ad agency, but a push for the AT&T Pre Plus sounds right...
  2. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #2  
    Whoo, push for year old processors, camera quality, screen size, etc!

    Eh, joking. Hopefully they can bring in some people who are looking for a smartphone but not the biggest and bestest.
    I think Palm can manage a hold on the mid-tier smartphone consumers.
  3. #3  
    They need to build a slate. No moving parts. And a pixi formfactor with a larger screen, with power specs.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    They need to build a slate. No moving parts. And a pixi formfactor with a larger screen, with power specs.
    +1
  5. aldiu's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #5  
    I don't get how a pre plus is mid tier I think it's just as good as the incredible and other phones with the kernel 800 mhz update... 800 mhz, 512 mb of ram, 16gb memory is actually great
  6. #6  
    Palm should focus on the experience, and show the device IN ACTION.

    The talk about specs is sorta silly, it always has been.

    "Here's a PC with a sixteen-core 128 bit microprocessor running at 5 GHz, two terrabytes of RAM, an exabyte of storage, a dual-core independent graphics processor with 4 gigs of discrete RAM on a separate system bus, and a 42 inch display!"

    Great, what OS does it run?

    "Commodore 128 OS v 3.0."

    But that OS isn't going to meet my needs! I'm getting Windows 7.

    "Are you STUPID?!? OF COURSE Commodore 128 OS 3 is better than Windows 7. Just look at the hardware it's running on versus the Windows machine! The other computers have MUCH crappier hardware!"

    Uh, yeah dude, whatever.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Whoo, push for year old processors, camera quality, screen size, etc!

    Eh, joking. Hopefully they can bring in some people who are looking for a smartphone but not the biggest and bestest.
    I think Palm can manage a hold on the mid-tier smartphone consumers.
    And I am sick of those "biggest & bestest" brick phones!!! They are just like "another brick on the wall".

    Let me claim, for a change, Palm Pre-Plus phones are the WORLD'S BEST COMPACT SMARTPHONES EVER BUILT YET.

    How about that ?
  8. #8  
    I remain hopeful that we'll get a Pre 2 (by whatever name) around the end of the summer, beginning of fall. I want a slightly larger Pre (say, a 3.7" screen and more comfortable keyboard) with 512MB RAM (1GB even better), 16GB storage (32GB even better), front and rear cameras, and compass (if that can be provided without breaking Touchstone support). Given improvements in later Pre in terms of build quality, I'm assuming that this device would leave the Pre's issues behind it.

    I really don't want a monolithic slab that's uncomfortable to use as a phone and doesn't have a physical keyboard. I think HP Palm will offer that as an option at some point, but the next device should build on what's great about the Pre and just fix its weaknesses.

    As an aside, one thing I think some folks forget is that with a physical keyboard and the gesture bar, webOS doesn't need so large a screen. As far as watching video and using as, say, an e-reader, while those are better on a larger screen, that's what a webOS tablet will provide. So, let's keep the smartphone a smartphone, shall we?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  9. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Palm should focus on the experience, and show the device IN ACTION.

    The talk about specs is sorta silly, it always has been.

    "Here's a PC with a sixteen-core 128 bit microprocessor running at 5 GHz, two terrabytes of RAM, an exabyte of storage, a dual-core independent graphics processor with 4 gigs of discrete RAM on a separate system bus, and a 42 inch display!"

    Great, what OS does it run?

    "Commodore 128 OS v 3.0."

    But that OS isn't going to meet my needs! I'm getting Windows 7.

    "Are you STUPID?!? OF COURSE Commodore 128 OS 3 is better than Windows 7. Just look at the hardware it's running on versus the Windows machine! The other computers have MUCH crappier hardware!"

    Uh, yeah dude, whatever.
    Awesome analogy!
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  10. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #10  
    ... It doesn't come shipped with 800 mhz. So that's a bad argument. :/

    And the least they could do with the Plus models was put a better battery in there.
  11. #11  
    Speaking of marketing... I've yet seen the stranger with Palm Accessories.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    +1
    I love my slider keyboard. They just need a better quality line of hardware. I believe palm can make a better hardware,and still remain the way it is. I have no problem with the screen and qwerty keyboard.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I love my slider keyboard. They just need a better quality line of hardware. I believe palm can make a better hardware,and still remain the way it is. I have no problem with the screen and qwerty keyboard.
    WERD! Hardware keyboard is a deal breaker for me. Thankfully Palm knows where it's roots are and I don't see them ever abandoning the hardware keyboard. Yeah maybe they make a slate one day, but I don't see em not having a current model with a hardware keyboard.
  14. #14  
    Here's a super crazy idea: Instead of focusing on new handsets or specs, how about they actually focus on WebOS, spotlight the advantages over completing OSes while they still exist and stress how intuitive and practical the UI is?

    Been waiting 17 months to see Palm advertising do that. The wait continues.
  15. #15  
    I'm sure AT&T has seen the same failed commercials we have and has learned something from them. ::fingers crossed::

    The true issue is: commercials can get customers in the door, but where will the salespeople take them from there?? If the sale force isn't trained/doesn't understand/doesn't use WebOS devices themselves.. they will sell what is easy and quick. I've been in sales for 20 years and I hate to say it... but salespeople are lazy. (excluding me )

    Seriously though... salespeople are lazy and will sell the device they understand, can sell fast, and don't have to spend a lot of time training customers on. It's sad, but this is truly the biggest hurdle for Pre sales. They need to give away these phones as incentives to salespeople, and get to know and understand how they work and get them excited. Just my $0.029 (adjusted for inflation).
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm sure AT&T has seen the same failed commercials we have and has learned something from them. ::fingers crossed::
    I Just posted this in another thread:

    In the span of 20 minutes this morning, I heard two palm pre plus radio ads from AT&T in Houston.
    The first ad was about a minute long and talked about all the features of the phone (Multitasking, Synergy, apps, etc…).
    The second ad was shorter and addressed the “limited time offer” of a touchstone with the purchase of a Pre Plus from AT&T. The ad said the offer would expire on June 20th.
    I am glad to see some advertising of the Palm Pre Plus by AT&T – but we need more!
  17. #17  
    Noooooooooo slate! I would be very disappointed if Palm's next WebOS phone (if there is one) turned out to be a slate. I wouldn't have gone with the Pre Plus if it were a slate. I like the qwerty keyboard. In just over a month of regular use, do you know how many times I've been inconvenienced by the portrait keyboard? NONE...ZERO...ZILCH! If I'm in landscape, I rotate for 5 seconds, type what I need to and then go back to landscape. The screen is big enough. The device, overall, is just the right size. IF anything, I'd say just get rid of the gesture area and make the screen that much bigger, but I don't want some honking big phone I have to tote around. I like the Palm Pre BECAUSE it's not like the iPone in form.

    Boo! Boo! Boo! Boo! to the idea of having a slate phone.
  18. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #18  
    Just thought I'd share that I heard an AT&T Palm Pre ad on espn radio today in nyc. The ad talks about how pre's multitasking is great, but also goes on to say something along the lines of "we (att) should know, we've been doing multitasking forever"

    kinda made me chuckle.

    still, good to see/hear ads on webos again

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions