Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Your Pre is a very complex piece of equipment with a lot of working parts that all come together to provide some pretty incredible capabilities which are unrivaled on any other platform. But much like a finely tuned sports car, it requires just a bit of preventative maintenance to continually operate at peak performance. If you abuse and neglect it, you will pay the price at some point. So here are a few basic tips to help you along the way. All of the apps and patches that I mention in the information below are available via WOSQI by Jason Robitaille or Preware by WebOS Internals.

1. Luna and Java - Sometimes your Pre needs a little assistance in clearing out some previously used space. Try using Luna Manager by WebOS Internals, JStop by Daniel Freedman or the Advanced Options in Launcher patch by Jason Robitaille to assist with this. Many are familiar with the TMC error (Too many cards open). This can be prevented many times by simply running a garbage collector prior to running the offending application.

2. Restart your Pre on a regular basis Ė I like to do it at least daily. (Preset Reset by Jason Robitaille is a good app to schedule this to occur automatically) This allows for all the working parts to re-sync and hopefully clean out anything that might be stuck somewhere that it doesnít belong. I also like to do it after I have installed new apps, patches or tweaks just to make sure everything is where it belongs. This is also the FIRST course of action you should take when experiencing a problem of some sort.

3. Always follow the instructions Ė Palm has provided a device and OS that is very open to its developer communities to create and experiment. However sometimes these processes are complicated and can create issues with the devices intended operation if the instructions are not followed explicitly. Most developers go out of their way to warn you of any possible issues and specific processes to follow. Make sure and read what they have to say. If you donít understand, then keep reading and ask questions till you do. If after all of that you still donít understandÖ then that particular mod, tweak, patch or app probably isnít for you.

4. The Doctor is your friend Ė Sometimes in spite of your best efforts to be safe, things just donít go like you planned. That is where the WebOS Doctor comes in. Many great developments have made this a relatively pain free process. First you have your Palm Profile, which when reloaded following a visit to the Dr. will recover your contacts, apps from the app catalog, memos and some of your other information backed up by Palm. If you have data in various apps or homebrew apps and patches that you want to save and restore after a Dr, then you will want to utilize Save/Restore by WebOS Internals and/or the Pre Backup Utility by TNT Services. These can have you up and running in no time. I even like to Dr. a couple of weeks after receiving a fresh WebOS update to ensure everything is fresh and there are no residual things that might cause me issues. This is also a good time to remove unused apps or patches and those that may have been rendered obsolete by the update. When everything is done, you will feel like new all over again.

Thatís it! Four basic things you can do to prevent your Pre from making you feel like you are traveling below the speed limit in the fast lane or worse, stranded and frustrated on the super communication highway.

If you are curious about a particular item I mentioned just use the search feature on the forums. You will likely find numerous threads from others who have had the same issue or question at some point.
  2.    #2  
    Bump back to page 1
    Good thread for the technically challenged.Alittle housekeepng goes along way with the Pre.I would also recommend to prepare in advance of a OS update to prevent problems , do a good back up with above mentioned apps(I use Pre Backup Utility)then take off themes.Now you are good to go for your OS update. Enjoy
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrose001 View Post
    Good thread for the technically challenged.Alittle housekeepng goes along way with the Pre.I would also recommend to prepare in advance of a OS update to prevent problems , do a good back up with above mentioned apps(I use Pre Backup Utility)then take off themes.Now you are good to go for your OS update. Enjoy
    Thanks for the addition. I see so many people come here to the forums with problems that a restart eventually solves. Some have even talked about how it had been days since they restarted their Pre as if it were a badge of honor or something. Just like their home computers, it is good to do some basic maintenance on the Pre and keep things tidy and fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Thanks for the addition. I see so many people come here to the forums with problems that a restart eventually solves. Some have even talked about how it had been days since they restarted their Pre as if it were a badge of honor or something. Just like their home computers, it is good to do some basic maintenance on the Pre and keep things tidy and fresh.
    Nice job. Are you going to be a forum moderator?
  6.    #6  
    I would consider it if asked. :-)

I enjoy helping folks. I would just have to be really careful with the sarcasm I am sometimes quick to toss out.
    Good post!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I would consider it if asked. :-)

I enjoy helping folks. I would just have to be really careful with the sarcasm I am sometimes quick to toss out.
    I believe you would be a good Forum Leader That's why I should go nominate you real quick!

As for this thread, I'd like to suggest some hardware maintenance ideas.

1. A clean Pre is a happy Pre. About once a week or so, I like to take a can of compressed air to my Pre. I take off the battery cover and battery, then blow out all the dust and dirt that accumulates everywhere. You can then use a Q-Tip to clean the camera lens and keep your photos looking crisp.
    (Note: Be careful cleaning around the speaker. A direct, full blast of compressed air could possibly damage the speaker itself...)

2. Get yourself a Touchstone charger. Let's face it, everything about the USB port seems pretty fragile. The door itself is quite frail and can break off somewhat easily. Another issue is the infamous USB crack. Many users have reported a crack forming starting at the point where the USB door "hinge" meets the Pre's body. This crack starts off little, but will eventually continue growing until it reaches the screen. The best preventative measure is to use the USB port as little as possible. That's where using a Touchstone charger comes in... No need to be plugging in a USB cable multiple times a day means less stress in that area.

Sorry if this is basic, common knowledge to everyone. I'm sure at least someone will find this useful

-Garrett
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

As for this thread, I'd like to suggest some hardware maintenance ideas.

1. A clean Pre is a happy Pre. About once a week or so, I like to take a can of compressed air to my Pre. I take off the battery cover and battery, then blow out all the dust and dirt that accumulates everywhere. You can then use a Q-Tip to clean the camera lens and keep your photos looking crisp.
    (Note: Be careful cleaning around the speaker. A direct, full blast of compressed air could possibly damage the speaker itself...)

2. Get yourself a Touchstone charger. Let's face it, everything about the USB port seems pretty fragile. The door itself is quite frail and can break off somewhat easily. Another issue is the infamous USB crack. Many users have reported a crack forming starting at the point where the USB door "hinge" meets the Pre's body. This crack starts off little, but will eventually continue growing until it reaches the screen. The best preventative measure is to use the USB port as little as possible. That's where using a Touchstone charger comes in... No need to be plugging in a USB cable multiple times a day means less stress in that area.

Sorry if this is basic, common knowledge to everyone. I'm sure at least someone will find this useful

-Garrett
    I agree, I posted a thread about the same thing and got flamed. Lol

You sir are a genius. If only everyone would take those few basic steps before saying they "bricked" their Pre...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    You sir are a genius. If only everyone would take those few basic steps before saying they "bricked" their Pre...
    Well, when I started I probably asked some very basic questions as well.

So I have learned much from my own experiences and just want to share them when I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Great advice... They can be had for cheap these days at Radio Shack, Best Buy and Amazon. Totally worth the bucks
    Useless thread. This can be said about any phone that has a hacking or homebrew community. Obviously when you have a stock phone, it'll run at it's best (with a few exceptions). When you pile on system hacks and patches/modifications, it changes the way the phone wasn't necessarily meant to run at, which leads to compatibility problems with programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Useless thread. This can be said about any phone that has a hacking or homebrew community. Obviously when you have a stock phone, it'll run at it's best (with a few exceptions). When you pile on system hacks and patches/modifications, it changes the way the phone wasn't necessarily meant to run at, which leads to compatibility problems with programs.
    I disagree, fisrt of all the homebrew community is supported by Palm and people aren't hacking their phones or jailbreaking them. Secondly this is a growing community with people new to webOS and always learning about their devices. Thirdly why would you reprove someone who is selflessly trying to help others. If it doesn't help you, you'd be better off keeping it to yourself.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    What may seem like common sense to you or other experienced users and forum members will not come as natural or easy to new users. Everytime the Pre releases on a new network we see a lot of very basic questions from new users and AT&T is the latest. For many, the Pre may be their first smartphone and the types of things I mentioned in the post generally aren't issues with dumb phones and feature phones.
    Far from useless, I can only assume you have zero patches and homebrew apps.As for changing the way it runs, that is the whole idea behind the Pre/Pixi, open operating system to mod , change and basically have fun with.With said changes come upkeep, just a few minutes a week.I am running 22 patches, 30 or so homebrews including Uber/Govnah on a 500/800 screenstate and by following simple upkeep rules daily I have NEVER had compatibility problems. So hack away and Enjoy your Pre!
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    My feelings about post #1 are that if users have to do those things to keep a stock phone running well, the phone has problems and it deserves to die a slow death. thorne
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I agree, I posted a thread about the same thing and got flamed. Lol
    I see what you mean... lol
    Sad , a couple ppl that dislike their phones, or Palm or their carrier, poo poo'ing a thread helpful to new users.When I first got into my Pre I didn't even know about Doctor, and Palm provides it and we all know how "helpful" the "customer service reps" are in store.Thank the phone gods for Precentral and guys like Webosinternals.Threads such as this one are vital to our community to keep the new users informed and up to date./rant off. Enjoy your Pre!
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    While I thank you for putting this together, shouldn't a phone not require "maintenance" like this? I do all of these things almost everyday, so don't get me wrong, I know they work. It's just absurd that a consumer should have to do these tasks in order to properly use the phone they paid for.
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast