Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegsta View Post
    While I thank you for putting this together, shouldn't a phone not require "maintenance" like this? I do all of these things almost everyday, so don't get me wrong, I know they work. It's just absurd that a consumer should have to do these tasks in order to properly use the phone they paid for.
    A smartphone is more like a computer then a phone. These tips are basically the same as performing preventative maintenance on your home PC...
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    My feelings about post #1 are that if users have to do those things to keep a stock phone running well, the phone has problems and it deserves to die a slow death. thorne
    The same could be said for any computer...

"My feelings about post #1 are that if users have to do those things to keep a stock computer running well, the computer has problems and it deserves to die a slow death."

The point is, the Pre is not just a phone, It is a linux box that fits in the Palm of your hand. As such it requires routine maintenance just like any other computer. These aren't difficult things to do or understand.

Further... most of the people who come here to these forums are interested in doing more than just running a stock pre. They want the most out of their device and our developers deliver just that.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion though and can choose whatever device you want to use, hopefully the community for that device will be as helpful and supportive as this one is to the many regular contributors and visitors that it sees.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The same could be said for any computer...

"My feelings about post #1 are that if users have to do those things to keep a stock computer running well, the computer has problems and it deserves to die a slow death."

The point is, the Pre is not just a phone, It is a linux box that fits in the Palm of your hand. As such it requires routine maintenance just like any other computer. These aren't difficult things to do or understand.

Further... most of the people who come here to these forums are interested in doing more than just running a stock pre. They want the most out of their device and our developers deliver just that.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion though and can choose whatever device you want to use, hopefully the community for that device will be as helpful and supportive as this one is to the many regular contributors and visitors that it sees.
    It looks like we think alike lol
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    It looks like we think alike lol
    I think that's what they say about great minds... LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegsta View Post
    While I thank you for putting this together, shouldn't a phone not require "maintenance" like this? I do all of these things almost everyday, so don't get me wrong, I know they work. It's just absurd that a consumer should have to do these tasks in order to properly use the phone they paid for.
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but like Pastorrich1 states in the OP, these are very sophisticated devices that do so much more than just make and receive calls. And just like a car or a computer they require care, attention and maintenance.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but like Pastorrich1 states in the OP, these are very sophisticated devices that do so much more than just make and receive calls. And just like a car or a computer they require care, attention and maintenance.
    You too, vza? We all had the same response basically lol
    I see what you mean... lol
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing as you posted this.

You too, vza? We all had the same response basically lol
    True, I'm on my Pre so I can't type as fast as I think. Lol

Strikes me that this mini-debate is fruitless. Regardless of whether one thinks a phone should require the sort of maintenance described by the OP, the fact is that following the pastor's prescription will result in a phone that functions better.

Since most of the people come here looking for advice related to the Pre... using it, troubleshooting it, patching it, and so on.... and the pastor's point was how to make your phone run smoothly... I would say it's a perfectly valid thread.
    I love the various forums that have developed for smartphones over the years, have used each when I have that type of phone and want to tweak it, TreoCentral and now PreCentral were the best and my faves.

Sometimes there are questions, that a nudge to the OP to the Search button can give them the help they need because we have all been there. That is why I appreciate the users who have more interest and developed farther than I have, and I can use what they have learned.

What I don't love is the people who come on here and make negative comments, see post 13 as an example in a thread that is giving useful information people might use. I'm not sure why people like that even read these forums since they have no interest, nor why they take the time to post.

Anyway, a great example of this - my daughter has Blackberry because she liked the shape and its cool. She uses this for email, text navigation, and phone. In other words, simple basic user, stock, never will add things but she likes it and it works for her. Every once in a while it goes crazy, requiring the same basic maintenance needs described above, pull battery, reset, etc., just to put back in order,

So my point - this is good basic maintenance, as mentioned above, the same as a computer. So thank you for a reminder of simple things can fix/prevent simple problems.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Lots of good folks around here, like pastorrich1. I love this community.
    Pastor Rich, thank you, you are a god send. I know this info is basic but I even learned something new... Thanks again!

Lem855

Now Pastor do you want to run for government office.. you got my vote
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by lem855 View Post
    Pastor Rich, thank you, you are a god send.
    Ha... Pun intended?

Quote Originally Posted by lem855 View Post
    Now Pastor do you want to run for government office.. you got my vote
    Nah... there's more scrutiny there than even I am willing to bear.
    good job pastor !! nice thread for newer crowd !!
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 05/23/2010 at 04:47 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    good job pastor !! nice thread for newer crowd !!
    Thank you! Hopefully with all the new AT&T users finding this site, it might save them a question or two and some needless frustration.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12