1.    #1  
    Had a strange issue w/ my Pre yesterday in that it could not make or receive any calls. Did several soft resets in the hope it would solve the problem - no such luck.

Decided to doctor the phone to get it back up to speed. No issues there; phone resets, login to my profile, and all apps are restored.

So then I update to get back to webOS 1.4.1.1 or whatever the latest is; update completes, go back in to the launcher and every single app I've ever installed is gone (not a huge number - maybe 25 or so, but highly annoying). To further complicate matters, I tried installing the one app I can't live without - drPodder - and I get an error telling me there isn't enough space on the phone. So I try another soft reset just in case it helps and the same issues persist (no apps, can't install anything).

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Should I doctor the phone again?
    That's odd, have you tried a partial erase?
    icons missing in the launch page? Try restarting the phone as a start. I had a few icons (not all of them) disappear previously, and a restart always solved it...
  4.    #4  
    Have not tried a partial erase - how do I do that? And what should I erase? I have no media files on the phone (erased during doctoring).
  5.    #5  
    Unfortunately I've restarted the phone 2x since to no avail...
  6.    #6  
    Also, on a whim, tried using the update tool to see if there were app updates available and maybe that's why nothing showed up. Response? "You have no applications installed."

Is it possible that I could sign out and then back in to my Palm Profile to try and force the apps to restore?
    For a partial erase, go to Device Information -> Reset Options -> Erase Apps and Data. After it's done you'll have to log into your profile again and it'll start to repopulate your phone.

One question: why doctor and then update, instead of directly doctoring to 1.4.1?
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtys View Post
    Have not tried a partial erase - how do I do that? And what should I erase? I have no media files on the phone (erased during doctoring).
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-res...en-bricked-pre
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    For a partial erase, go to Device Information -> Reset Options -> Erase Apps and Data. After it's done you'll have to log into your profile again and it'll start to repopulate your phone.

One question: why doctor and then update, instead of directly doctoring to 1.4.1?
    Honestly? Because I don't know what I'm doing.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post

Am giving the partial erase a shot right now...stay tuned.
  11.    #11  
    Partial erase seems to be the ticket - all apps are currently in the process of being restored. Many thanks for everyone's insight/assistance/expertise.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtys View Post
    Am giving the partial erase a shot right now...stay tuned.
    Well, if you had any launcher patches installed like the named or tabbed pages patch, that can cause your problem. Try typing preware in the universal search and when it comes up, tap it and go to installed packages. Find the offending patch and remove it.

Restart your phone and if that was the problem, your icons will all be back. If that is the case, you can re-add that patch, but it likes to be installed before any other launcher patches, so remove all other launcher patches and then restart the phone, then add back the named or tabbed launcher patch and anything else you want after it. You should be fine.

It has happened to me a couple of times.

EDIT... Nevermind.... I see you solved your problem.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 05/21/2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: correction