Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hello
    I just got my palm pre tonight. I switched over from the blackberry my ? is
    why does my internet connection sometimes go on and off it shows a r and sometimes ev or 1x am i doing something wrong please help. I really love this phone a lot and my provider is sprint any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff
    You might need to turn data roaming on. Open the phone app and you will find it in Preferences (click upper left of your screen).
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 05/20/2010 at 11:20 PM.
    Welcome to WebOS and PreCentral!

When your phone displays the "R" icon, that means you are roaming. Ev is the same as 3G, it is the current data connection. 1x is a slower data connection.

If you open the Phone app and go into the menu, you can toggle 'Data Roaming' to 'On'. This will allow you to use data while roaming.
    also when you do go to the phine app and swipe down from the top left corner and check preferences, you should do a prl update and a network update.

the prl can be especially useful in areas where you are roaming often and switching between sprint/roaming partner.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    also when you do go to the phine app and swipe down from the top left corner and check preferences, you should do a prl update and a network update.

the prl can be especially useful in areas where you are roaming often and switching between sprint/roaming partner.
    Man, I wish you could edit this file yourself or select who to roam with. I gotta get my phone roaming on the carrier my family uses, everyone in this house gets a 5-star signal...and I can barely get one bar on roaming.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    you dont pay extra roaming do you and thanks for the help
    Yeah do what they said. If none of that works than you may not be getting a good signal where you are at.
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidice66 View Post
    No, the roaming is free...but I heard somewhere Sprint may notify you if you go over 300mb of data roaming. Good thing I have wifi in the home.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidice66 View Post
    No, Sprint plans include free roaming. However, if most of your minutes and/or data is used while roaming, they may say something.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Man, I wish you could edit this file yourself or select who to roam with. I gotta get my phone roaming on the carrier my family uses, everyone in this house gets a 5-star signal...and I can barely get one bar on roaming.
    there are some great roam only patches available, with easy on/off in device menu.

if you haven't yet check out preware and webos quickinstall.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    thanks everyone
    I thought the data roaming was always a charge? Well I still can turn it on, I live near the border and I know international roaming isn't free
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    I thought the data roaming was always a charge? Well I still can turn it on, I live near the border and I know international roaming isn't free
    Welcome to PreCentral.

Domestic roaming is free, but not unlimited. I recently read in the CDMA forum that Sprint has recently hardened its policy:

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...ml#post2448630

However several months ago this was changed and hard limits were implemented across the board to make it more transparent and easier to explain when people roam excessively. You are not charged once you o over the limit, and going over the limit occasionally won't get you contacted. However if you consistently roam excessively you are contacted. You are limited to either half of your minute allotment, or 800 minutes roaming, whichever comes first. It is still free roaming on almost all current plans, but it is not and has not been unlimited.