1.    #1  
    I'm fairly certain he is going to need to webos doctor it but I'll describe the issues and provide some details to get the best advice of what he should do. First he can't install or update anything from the app catalog it will prompt him to reboot "restart required system adjustments must be made before installation can continue" but choosing the option to restart and after restart it still results in the same can't install or update anything. GPS doesn't lock in on where he is at (probably only cell tower triangulating). There may be text message receiving issues but may be carrier issues. Preware won't update any feeds at all it does load if I turn off update feeds. I was hoping it would so we could grab 1.0 and save restore to remember his installed apps and the few patches he had installed. I attempted to update a non app catalog app in preware but it fails probably for the same issue causing the app catalog install and update issue.

With all that said he only has the palm profile, but doesn't know for sure the email and password he used. So he will need to know if there is a way to find out if he can retrieve that info somewhere. There are no email accounts but it does appear he connected to his yahoo account in messages, contacts, and calendar but I don't think he uses it for anything. Palm profile appears to be default checking the contacts and messaging app. He has some memos which unless the info I have is wrong is backed up to the palm profile and won't be lost. He doesn't care if he loses all the text messages. Calendar stuff is backed up to the palm profile or yahoo unless I'm mistaken. Am I missing anything else before we use the doctor? Since I have never actually had to personally use the doctor or perform the process on someone else's device I want to make sure I have everything straight before doing so.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    if you know the email you can forgot pass
    Did he have a lot of patches installed?
    He could try WebOS Repair Utility.

That Pre does sound pretty bad though... I have a feeling it will require the Doctor. Here is a good guide:
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    How did his Pre get that way? I agree the repair utility might work well.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    If you forgot your password, then go here:
    https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

Click the forgot password link. You will have to just keep guessing with the emails to find out which one he used.

Seems like it would be best to just doctor the phone. Its a painless experience contrary to what the process is called.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Several of my teachers had that issue the best result we had was a doctoring of the Pre. We tried the EPR and still got the message. My recommendation is to doctor to save a lot of time.
    Last edited by mamouton; 05/20/2010 at 11:33 PM.
    I agree that the Doctor sounds like the best option...start of with a clean OS then add back in all the fun stuff.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I agree with the Dr recomendations.

I would add to garett's advice on using the webOS repair utility that I have had good results using it with compatibility off. IE a scan that will correct every little patch and change, as close to a real Dr without the redownload of apps.

be warned however this, and doctor as well, can eat through the better part of an afternoon, so you may just want to dr and be done.

cheers
    Sure sounds like a Dr. visit is in order, and it isn't as bad as it used to be.I would also recommend the Pre Backup Utility , has saved my **** a couple times when i was messin around with more unstable kernals. Worth checkin out on preware.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    How did his Pre get that way? I agree the repair utility might work well.
    We aren't sure really what happened. I think it may have started around updating to 1.4. Something went wrong back at that time not all that bad but things got progressively worse as time went on to the point where I stepped in to post about it. My guess is small things added up. One day he said the update thingy told him all sort of his apps had updates and that is how the install update issue was discovered. Bottom line we aren't sure exactly how it all originated only can best guess that this was the progression.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrose001 View Post
    Sure sounds like a Dr. visit is in order, and it isn't as bad as it used to be.I would also recommend the Pre Backup Utility , has saved my **** a couple times when i was messin around with more unstable kernals. Worth checkin out on preware.
    I was rather hoping we would be able to install it to see exactly what it does. Is there details on the app. I have it install on my device but was not sure exactly what it backed up and restored. For instance I know save restore saves just app data so that no potential broken things get restored. I used to use backup man on my palmOS devices and it was a huge life saver restoring a device completely as if nothing ever happened to need to restore. Almost like a drive image.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    This just happened to my wife's phone. No apps will install or update.
    if worst comes to worst you'll have to take it into the store... although if there was some tampering I douybt that they will help
  13.    #13  
    We doctored it and got it back up and running. He hardly had anything on it just a few apps. He is far from a power user like me. Since my previous post in the thread I recall seeing a few other threads where what happened to him happened to others and I think in all the cases using the doctor was the solution.