Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a new Pre on Verizon and I'm having issues getting everything to play nice together. I migrated my old contacts from my Treo, which created over 600 contacts under the "Palm Profile" account. I also have over 100 contacts under the "Google" account from a gmail account. I can sync the google contacts with google, but need another service to sync the palm profile. Is there a way to transfer all my palm profile contacts to the google account or some other way to merge the two? That way, I can move forward with a solution based on one database of contacts.

Palm phone support has not been very helpful.

Very frustrating.

Mike
    The easiest way to do this is to go to a VZW store and ask them to transfer the Palm Profiles to your google account. Just make sure to transfer it to google.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    The easiest way, assuming you have your old treo (or palm os sync software) still, is to use the tool that comes with the pre and have it export your contacts, then import them using your computer to gmail.
    In your contact app click the contacts name and a sub menu will pop up. Select link more profiles, then select the contact you wish to merge with this one. Now how you do the transfer to google would be through a patch. The patch is called send all contacts via email it's makes a vCard off your your current total contacts. Just install this and send the created Vcard to your gmail and add the contacts to your address book and your done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    In your contact app click the contacts name and a sub menu will pop up. Select link more profiles, then select the contact you wish to merge with this one. Now how you do the transfer to google would be through a patch. The patch is called send all contacts via email it's makes a vCard off your your current total contacts. Just install this and send the created Vcard to your gmail and add the contacts to your address book and your done.
    Make sure to do this as a backup as well! I have carried out the above steps and have made sure that I have all my contacts backed up now since there was no surefire way to carry over contacts from my old phone to my Pre. In the process I lost a great number of my contacts.

Sending a Vcard to yourself at Google and Yahoo covers you in the future in case your phone goes or you need to reset to factory specs.
    Last edited by puyobwoc; 05/20/2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
  6.    #6  
    wow. thanks for the quick replies everybody. I posted at palm forums and got no responses in 24 hours.

mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Select link more profiles, then select the contact you wish to merge with this one.
    i think with 700 contacts that might take too long. i think maybe just sending a vcard with all the contacts to google or yahoo then from there selecting the option to find duplicates or link (don't remember what it's called)...but it should find them for you.
  8.    #8  
    OK...that was relatively painless. all contacts are now on my google profile. So now my question is...How do I delete the palm profile (or at least hide it) so I don't have over 600 duplicates on my main contact window on my Pre?

thanks,

Mike
    It should automatically combine them into 1 contact each, because they should have the same exact first and last name as they did when you exported them.
  10.    #10  
    unfortunately, it did not do that. I now have over 700 contacts in my google profile (which is a good start) and the same amount in my palm profile. the overlaps appear twice in my main contact window. I could go through and delete each duplicate, but I think my fingers might fall off by the end of that process.
    Quote Originally Posted by vernonvision View Post
    unfortunately, it did not do that. I now have over 700 contacts in my google profile (which is a good start) and the same amount in my palm profile. the overlaps appear twice in my main contact window. I could go through and delete each duplicate, but I think my fingers might fall off by the end of that process.
    That's surprising. The Pre usually has no trouble finding duplicates--usually I have to unmerge contacts if anything. You might just try waiting a day or so and see if it picks them up. It could take a while to parse through that many contacts.

I don't believe you can delete the Palm profile because that's the default on-phone storage for your data.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't remember the exact process, but I think you can turn off backups, do a partial erase, and then turn backups back on.
    fyi, here is where hparsons expects me to mention that I refuse to hand all my information to google, so make sure you think that through before you follow that advice.

It's fine for some, but I won't ever do it (sorry hparsons, but I know you've missed me!).

I won't blather on... you can PM me if needed. LOL!
  14.    #14  
    OK...now that I've taken the time to investigate this, I think the reason that the Pre did not find duplicates is that they are slightly different (not sure why). I think from here, my only real option is to keep the palm profile and link them all. I still end up with the same original problem, however, in that all my info is not being synced to the google account.

I'm about ready to give up on this endeavor.

thanks for all your help.
    OK...now that I've taken the time to investigate this, I think the reason that the Pre did not find duplicates is that they are slightly different (not sure why). I think from here, my only real option is to keep the palm profile and link them all. I still end up with the same original problem, however, in that all my info is not being synced to the google account.

I'm about ready to give up on this endeavor.

thanks for all your help.
    two thoughts.

1) Is there a way to export your contacts from the Palm Profile? I don't store any contacts there, so I don't know.

2) Are the contacts still on your old phone, or wherever you had them before? You should be able to export them from your old phone, and then import them into Google.

Once you have used one of those methods to get them to google, you would erase them from your Palm profile... but the point of Synergy is that you don't NEED to have them all in one place. Of course I WANT them all in one place, but I suspect most people aren't as OCD about their contacts as I am...
    Try removing your google account and then re-adding it. It should link your contacts together then. I say the google route because the reality is that it is more reliable than your palm profile.
    Hey folks, first post here! I just got a Palm Pre Plus from Verizon about a week ago and I am loving it! However, I have one problem with my contacts.

When I got the pre, I had verizon transfer all my phone contacts from my old non-smart phone. I stored my contacts as "Lastname, Firstname." Now I have a ton of duplicate entries in my contacts where the Palm has imported my google contacts but didn't realize that "John Smith" was the same as "Smith, John" Is there any easy way for me to merge the phone numbers with people's email addresses?

Also, I hear you can synchronize with facebook, but will that make all my facebook friends show up in my contacts or can I limit it to just synchronizing folks who are already in my contacts now?

Cheers!
  18. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolath View Post
    Hey folks, first post here! I just got a Palm Pre Plus from Verizon about a week ago and I am loving it! However, I have one problem with my contacts.

When I got the pre, I had verizon transfer all my phone contacts from my old non-smart phone. I stored my contacts as "Lastname, Firstname." Now I have a ton of duplicate entries in my contacts where the Palm has imported my google contacts but didn't realize that "John Smith" was the same as "Smith, John" Is there any easy way for me to merge the phone numbers with people's email addresses?

Also, I hear you can synchronize with facebook, but will that make all my facebook friends show up in my contacts or can I limit it to just synchronizing folks who are already in my contacts now?

Cheers!
    Welcome to the PreCentral forums and the world of WebOS!

Regarding merging of the Palm profile contacts and your Google contacts, this, unfortunately, seems to be all too often a problem when contacts are merged onto the phones. My suggestion would have been NOT to load any contacts into your Palm profile, but, alas, it's too late for that. The simplest method is probably just to merge each of the contacts together manually if there aren't too many affected (i.e. - open one of the two "offending" contacts, click the field at the top where a photo is/would go, then select Link more profiles, and enter the other "offending" contact). This method will rectify each of these "double contacts" as you encounter them, but, alas, is not a simple batch method of taking care of all of them at once. There are ways of doing what you're looking to do by exporting off the phone into a csv file, swapping columns, and then posting the file back onto the phone again, but you may not feel comfortable "hacking" your phone yet to do this? I've had this problem myself when it comes to LinkedIn contacts, but because each of those gets added one at a time as I make new LinkedIn connections, it's not so bad for me to "fix" it the way I outlined herein.

As far as Facebook goes, it's all or none of your Facebooks contacts that would get loaded onto the phone if you add that profile (confirmed in this post: forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/248387-question-about-syncing.html).

Welcome to the forums and good luck!
    I have to say, if having a few hundred of your closest friends from facebook in your contact list bothers you, it is likely that you are not thinking about how to use the contacts on the Pre correctly.

Never do I open the contacts app and start scrolling to find the contact I want. This is an exercise in abject frustration. Instead, use the keyboard!! Open the contacts app and start typing--lots of different combos will work: a few letters of the first name followed by the last initial, a few letters of the company name, the first initial and a few letters of the last name, etc. The list will limit as you type, so you can see when you can stop. Even just a few keystrokes will limit the list enough to scroll.

But opening up the contacts app and typing is only one way. You don't even need to open the contacts app. In card view, just start typing. Apps will be searched in addition to contacts, but it won't bother you. You can also start typing from the phone app. Or messaging. Or email.

You get the point--webOS doesn't really ever want you to scroll through a long list. webOS wants you to type a little so it can present you a much shortened list that will be a lot more convenient for you.

As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't bother me to put 100k contacts on my phone. A few keystrokes will always get me what I need.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Currently i use Gmail to sync all my important contacts, however i also have Facebook and MSN messenger. When ever my Pre gives me problem i have a tendency to doctor the phone which solve all my problems except for one that cost me hours to fix and that is linking profiles manually. There have to be an easier way for me add profile together and one click sync.

Any suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast