Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1.    #1  
    Just a couple of days ago, i thought i had it all figured out. My battery life was awesome on standby. I turned off location service, GPS, signed off all my Instant Messaging accounts (aim,google,yahoo), set all my email accounts to manual except one (yahoo), set pretty much all the syncing apps to manual (facebook,feedreader,bad kitty) and my battery still goes up in flames on standby. WHAT GIVES !!!!!....I dont want an extended battery, it makes the phone look ugly and huge. Mugen 1400? really? thats just about 2 more hours added, big whoopty dooo!..Why cant Palm just admit that they failed and get us a certified extended battery that doesnt make my Pre look like a ton of bricks. Now, from the time it took my to type this message on my computer, my Pre went from 88% to 84%. There's nothing else to turn off anymore. I turned everything off already. Any more suggestions? Im roaming, i have 4 bars.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Just a couple of days ago, i thought i had it all figured out. My battery life was awesome on standby. I turned off location service, GPS, signed off all my Instant Messaging accounts (aim,google,yahoo), set all my email accounts to manual except one (yahoo), set pretty much all the syncing apps to manual (facebook,feedreader,bad kitty) and my battery still goes up in flames on standby. WHAT GIVES !!!!!....I dont want an extended battery, it makes the phone look ugly and huge. Mugen 1400? really? thats just about 2 more hours added, big whoopty dooo!..Why cant Palm just admit that they failed and get us a certified extended battery that doesnt make my Pre look like a ton of bricks. Now, from the time it took my to type this message on my computer, my Pre went from 88% to 84%. There's nothing else to turn off anymore. I turned everything off already. Any more suggestions? Im roaming, i have 4 bars.
    There is something going on with your Pre. Download the Battery Monitor app from Preware and run it to see what your % loss per hour is.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3. #3  
    Roaming can really suck your battery down quick, do you use battery monitor to see what your actual drop per hour is? What is your drain like when not roaming?

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  4. #4  
    The radios seem to be the biggest killers of battery life. I get a little better performance with mine set to EVDO Rev O instead of Rev A. The performance is almost the same and it doesn't seem to search as much for the fastest signal. I believe if you have a wifi signal were you are that will help also.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5. #5  
    Well the reason they aren't gonna give a 'certified extended battery' is the more power necessary the larger the current technology demands the batter, you won't be able to squeeze much more than 1400 max.

    If it starts dropping quickly I'd suggest restarting it, I don't personally have problems so consider trying a new battery or you can just find a way to always have a touchstone or car charger or usb charger handy at all times so you never get low in the first place. Each update is supposed to bring battery improvements, you never know, the next one could double battery life, or it could do nothing. If you want to ensure battery life you could install the patch which makes turning the data on/off easy to reach and just do-so when you don't need it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    There is something going on with your Pre. Download the Battery Monitor app from Preware and run it to see what your % loss per hour is.
    Tell me about it!
    Just a couple of days ago, it was all awesome over here. I shut the Pre down in an attempt to have it cool down. I'll run Battery Monitor after it powers back on in about.....7 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Roaming can really suck your battery down quick, do you use battery monitor to see what your actual drop per hour is? What is your drain like when not roaming?
    But, i've always used roaming. Even when the battery life was awesome. I actually turn off data too when im home, just so i can save myself numerous trips to the charger even when im not using the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    The radios seem to be the biggest killers of battery life. I get a little better performance with mine set to EVDO Rev O instead of Rev A. The performance is almost the same and it doesn't seem to search as much for a fast signal. I believe if you have a wifi signal were you are that will help also.
    I have WiFi on. My WiFi actually shuts off by itself from time to time. I turned on the option to keep WiFi on, but WiFi consistently shuts off all by itself something. Maybe its my router. I have a linksys BFw something something Version 4. I heard its terrible, maybe thats why my WiFi suck.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well the reason they aren't gonna give a 'certified extended battery' is the more power necessary the larger the current technology demands the batter, you won't be able to squeeze much more than 1400 max.

    If it starts dropping quickly I'd suggest restarting it, I don't personally have problems so consider trying a new battery or you can just find a way to always have a touchstone or car charger or usb charger handy at all times so you never get low in the first place. Each update is supposed to bring battery improvements, you never know, the next one could double battery life, or it could do nothing. If you want to ensure battery life you could install the patch which makes turning the data on/off easy to reach and just do-so when you don't need it.
    Im not even using the phone. I have it sitting there and i go check, it goes from 97 - 90 in a span of 30mins...That ridiculous. Does Bad Kitty suck up lots of battery life?
  8. #8  
    perhaps you have bad cells in your battery, if nothing else has changed I would try another battery.

    My battery scenario today, took off the touchstone around 9am light usage all day currently at 55%, I have meeting tonight, it will hit the charger again before i go.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 05/20/2010 at 05:20 PM.

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    perhaps you have bad cells in your battery, if nothing else has changed I would another battery.
    Hopefully, bad kitty isnt sucking up all the battery life all by itself..
  10. #10  
    Yeah, my battery dies pretty darn quick. However, I felt that disabling features of the phone defeats the purpose of a device such as this. In the end, I opted to put chargers/micro USB cables EVERYWHERE I go.

    You didn't mention Bluetooth. Is there a device connected through Bluetooth? Do you have a lot homebrew apps and patches installed? Is the wifi set to stay on during sleep? Is the backup feature on?

    You are definitely not alone!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedillume View Post
    Yeah, my battery dies pretty darn quick. However, I felt that disabling features of the phone defeats the purpose of a device such as this. In the end, I opted to put chargers/micro USB cables EVERYWHERE I go.

    You didn't mention Bluetooth. Is there a device connected through Bluetooth? Do you have a lot homebrew apps and patches installed? Is the wifi set to stay on during sleep? Is the backup feature on?

    You are definitely not alone!
    I dont even have a bluetooth , so thats always off. I dont think the apps matter, i think its the apps that are running in the background that actually matter and i turned off all the apps that run in the background. WiFi is set to stay on, but it still goes off anyway and backup feature only runs once a day, i dont see why it should be killing the battery.
  12. #12  
    Well, you don't want an extended battery and that's cool, but...what about a second battery?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Im not even using the phone. I have it sitting there and i go check, it goes from 97 - 90 in a span of 30mins...That ridiculous. Does Bad Kitty suck up lots of battery life?
    Any social media client will suck battery because it is constantly checking.

    There is definitely something going on with your battery or phone. I just replaced my Pre+, and I still haven't sent the old one back. I've been using it like an iPod Touch (wifi only) and it loses maybe 1%/hour in use, and less than that when I'm not using it (wifi sleeps automatically with the screen.)

    Sure, battery life is short compared to feature phones - (and that's true for all smart phones. Check out the complaints over at the Droid forums...) I am not defending Palm. And, its also possible that your battery developed a problem (not likely).

    But, I'm strongly suggesting that something is going on. Are you running background apps like jstop on automatic? Are you leaving govna open? Are you running lots of social media apps, google latitude, etc on automatic/background? Weather? etc?

    Yes, you should be able to do those things, but you also have the right of way in a cross walk when a car is coming - but you don't step in front.

    So, find out what it is. Also consider a pair of 1400mah batteries and an external charger so you can always have a charged battery to swap to when needed. Personally, I like the 2600mah battery but I understand why others might not. There is a guy on these forums that will put the touchstone stuff in the 2600mah back so I can use the big battery with the touchstone.

    Sorry for the long post. I feel your pain. The Pre is about the same as most other modern smartphones such as iPhone/Android/etc.

    Figure out what changed recently, because I'll bet that's what caused the big drop in battery life. And, follow the thread above to find the best help for battery saving tips.
  14. #14  
    Remember... Roaming and poor signal are not the same. It isn't the fact that you may be roaming... But the signal strength you are pulling. No matter if you are roaming or not - if you are pulling a weak signal the device will expend more power to hold and search for it.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Well, you don't want an extended battery and that's cool, but...what about a second battery?
    The phone actually takes a lifetime to start. Imagine if im in a tight situation and my battery is about to die, but i swap because i have an extra, but then it takes 5-6 mins to start up, what use will the extra battery be? I mostly play with my phone when im home. If im not home then i wont be play a 3D game or using twitter and more. When im out, my Pre stays in my pocket, thats why im concerned that its using so much of the battery when its just in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Any social media client will suck battery because it is constantly checking.

    There is definitely something going on with your battery or phone. I just replaced my Pre+, and I still haven't sent the old one back. I've been using it like an iPod Touch (wifi only) and it loses maybe 1%/hour in use, and less than that when I'm not using it (wifi sleeps automatically with the screen.)

    Sure, battery life is short compared to feature phones - (and that's true for all smart phones. Check out the complaints over at the Droid forums...) I am not defending Palm. And, its also possible that your battery developed a problem (not likely).

    But, I'm strongly suggesting that something is going on. Are you running background apps like jstop on automatic? Are you leaving govna open? Are you running lots of social media apps, google latitude, etc on automatic/background? Weather? etc?

    Yes, you should be able to do those things, but you also have the right of way in a cross walk when a car is coming - but you don't step in front.

    So, find out what it is. Also consider a pair of 1400mah batteries and an external charger so you can always have a charged battery to swap to when needed. Personally, I like the 2600mah battery but I understand why others might not. There is a guy on these forums that will put the touchstone stuff in the 2600mah back so I can use the big battery with the touchstone.

    Sorry for the long post. I feel your pain. The Pre is about the same as most other modern smartphones such as iPhone/Android/etc.

    Figure out what changed recently, because I'll bet that's what caused the big drop in battery life. And, follow the thread above to find the best help for battery saving tips.
    i'll change WiFi to sleep from now on. Its not like i have instant messaging on anyway. I logged off everyone of them so i can conserve battery life. I deleted Bad Kitty because i dont see where i can change the setting to manual and i dont even use google latitude. I have it, but i set it to manual too, weather only uses the GPS when i push on the app and then it stops after im done.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Remember... Roaming and poor signal are not the same. It isn't the fact that you may be roaming... But the signal strength you are pulling. No matter if you are roaming or not - if you are pulling a weak signal the device will expend more power to hold and search for it.
    Im actually roaming with about 3-4 bars. I dont it will be searching for signal at anytime. Its just that the battery life has being perfect for the past couple of weeks and now it went kaput out of nowhere. I deleted bad kitty and i'll report back with news later.
  16. #16  
    my phone has been on airplane mode for going on 2 weeks. no one beleived I was not charging it so we put in the display case up front. IMO the only battery fix needs to come from qualcomm.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    my phone has been on airplane mode for going on 2 weeks. no one beleived I was not charging it so we put in the display case up front. IMO the only battery fix needs to come from qualcomm.
    Why Qualcomm?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I dont even have a bluetooth , so thats always off. I dont think the apps matter, i think its the apps that are running in the background that actually matter and i turned off all the apps that run in the background. WiFi is set to stay on, but it still goes off anyway and backup feature only runs once a day, i dont see why it should be killing the battery.
    You are right, the amount of apps do not matter. But a recently installed malfunctioning homebrew app could matter.

    How did you make sure that all apps were no longer running in the background? Pack N Track never seems to turn off for me. As long as I have a package setup, it will alert me even if I have thrown away the card and pressed Orange+Sym+R.

    Speaking of restart, I am assuming you have done that.

    Yeah, I don't think that backup feature would cause such a problem, but if you are roaming with a weak signal, maybe it could be failing. Thus, it just keeps trying all day long. It was really just a shot in the dark since I don't fully understand how the backup feature works and was trying to think of other things that keep running.
  19. #19  
    @JasonBlack

    I also can't stand the long boot time. The average is about 5 minutes. I'm convinced that there is a tiny little floppy disk inside that it boots from. If it makes you feel any better, my Blackberry Curve doesn't boot any faster, and I have to pull the battery about every other day when it locks up...

    I try to keep a full battery handy so I can trade a 7 minute boot for not having a phone at all. And when I am at home, I like to use y 2600mah battery so I can play for hours.

    I look forward to hearing your results from recent changes. Hopefully it will improve!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Tell me about it!
    Just a couple of days ago, it was all awesome over here. I shut the Pre down in an attempt to have it cool down. I'll run Battery Monitor after it powers back on in about.....7 minutes.

    But, i've always used roaming. Even when the battery life was awesome. I actually turn off data too when im home, just so i can save myself numerous trips to the charger even when im not using the phone.


    I have WiFi on. My WiFi actually shuts off by itself from time to time. I turned on the option to keep WiFi on, but WiFi consistently shuts off all by itself something. Maybe its my router. I have a linksys BFw something something Version 4. I heard its terrible, maybe thats why my WiFi suck.
    But, i've always used roaming. Even when the battery life was awesome. I actually turn off data too when im home, just so i can save myself numerous trips to the charger even when im not using the phone.
    Be careful with the too much roaming.. they will discontinue your service. (sprint)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions