Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    That's high, what is on when the phone is idle?

I keep bluetooth,gps and wifi off and email set to 'as items arrive'. I get about 1% drain over 6 hours of being idle on the stock battery. I think you may have battery issues.
    Yea, thats pretty ridiculous.
    I dont understand how a battery can be so terrible. im going to contact Palm and have them contact Sprint for me. I dont want to go to sprint and lallygag with them about this crap. They need to give me a new battery asap, i suppose.
  2.    #42  
    Im feed up with this battery. I just turned everything back up. GPS and all. I dont care anymore. This is annoying. The love the phone, but the battery f'ing sucks big time. Please, dont give me that "all smartphones" crap. The other smartphones know how to turn things off when you're not using them, so it doesnt drain the battery and the other phones actually have proper coding that doesnt help destroy the battery life. With that being said, i love webos and i hope palm releases a new device soon and i'll def be buying this new device. If it has the same problem as this garbage of a hardware, i'll return that crap and just keep this crappy hardware. Im feed up......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Not at all. Im in the house. Also, i pretty much deleted all the new apps i got. And actually now, i suspect that its the roaming thats messing me up because since sprint updated me to the new roaming (auto A & B, Sprint only) and back to the old one, my roaming has kept messing up. Jumping from 3 bars to non and then reconnecting. I would update it but i have 0 Sprint coverage down here, hence i always roam when im home.
    My wife has HUGE issues with battery life when she is roaming (I don't roam at all at my work). One day with a maybe 15 minute phone call and texting her phone was damn near dead..... I was at 30ish% and I am a HEAVY user, especially compared to her use. We are on sprint too, but other than in her work in certain spots, we have great coverage everywhere.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    My wife has HUGE issues with battery life when she is roaming (I don't roam at all at my work). One day with a maybe 15 minute phone call and texting her phone was damn near dead..... I was at 30ish% and I am a HEAVY user, especially compared to her use. We are on sprint too, but other than in her work in certain spots, we have great coverage everywhere.
    I wish i had great coverage at work. But, its not that way for me. My coverage at home is terrible. Gezz, its even beyond terrible, its HORRID.
    I wish i had great coverage at work. But, its not that way for me. My coverage at home is terrible. Gezz, its even beyond terrible, its HORRID.
    Exact same. Can't get Sprint to send me an Airave, so I pretty much hate everyone who managed to needle their way into one.

The Pre drains an absurd amount when roaming and I honestly believe it has a lot to do with how terrible the Pre's reception is in general. Everyone in this house has 5 star reception everywhere except for me (they aren't on Sprint) and I can watch my phone jump from 4 bars roaming to 0 bars roaming to 3 bars roaming to 1 bar on Sprint service back to 0 bars roaming and in general it fluxuates constantly frome 0 to 2 bars of roaming, with a call quality equal to absolutely no service (I either don't get calls or when I get calls, you can't hear anything). I don't get texts unless it's in a special corner of my house where the roaming will generally get two bars roaming...enough to get texts, no calls. Incidentally, this is where I sat my Touchstone.

The phone shouldn't be jumping around signalwise or searching for a signal that much. It is completely inconsistent, but you know, the rest of the board thinks I and many others with this issue are making it up. I'm probably going to make another try for that free Airave in a couple of weeks.

The thing is I get 5 bars pretty much everywhere else in this city. My house is like some kind of deadspot for Sprint, but I don't understand why it CANNOT roam on Verizon consistently, which are the towers everyone else in my house uses. I wish I had a PRL that only have Verizon on it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Exact same. Can't get Sprint to send me an Airave, so I pretty much hate everyone who managed to needle their way into one.

The Pre drains an absurd amount when roaming and I honestly believe it has a lot to do with how terrible the Pre's reception is in general. Everyone in this house has 5 star reception everywhere except for me (they aren't on Sprint) and I can watch my phone jump from 4 bars roaming to 0 bars roaming to 3 bars roaming to 1 bar on Sprint service back to 0 bars roaming and in general it fluxuates constantly frome 0 to 2 bars of roaming, with a call quality equal to absolutely no service (I either don't get calls or when I get calls, you can't hear anything). I don't get texts unless it's in a special corner of my house where the roaming will generally get two bars roaming...enough to get texts, no calls. Incidentally, this is where I sat my Touchstone.

The phone shouldn't be jumping around signalwise or searching for a signal that much. It is completely inconsistent, but you know, the rest of the board thinks I and many others with this issue are making it up. I'm probably going to make another try for that free Airave in a couple of weeks.

The thing is I get 5 bars pretty much everywhere else in this city. My house is like some kind of deadspot for Sprint, but I don't understand why it CANNOT roam on Verizon consistently, which are the towers everyone else in my house uses. I wish I had a PRL that only have Verizon on it.
    YES!!!!
    SOMEONE ELSE THAT SPEAKS EXACTLY THE SAME LANGUAGE AS ME!
    Honestly, you couldnt have described my issue much better. About 4 days ago, i was about to roam on verizon with no problems at all. My call quality was awesome, my phone's battery was also awesome and then i update PRL to some crap that had auto a and b in it and my battery went in flames. From that point on, even roaming sucks now. I keeps jumping from 3-1 and so on. Once i go up the street, i get a full 5 bar + EVDO. My house is about .5 miles away from the top of the road and the signal up my street is awesome, but horrid at my house. I dont know what to do, i called Sprint and the jack*** tells me to move to an area where sprint service is better, that they cant do anything about it.
    YES!!!!
    SOMEONE ELSE THAT SPEAKS EXACTLY THE SAME LANGUAGE AS ME!
    Honestly, you couldnt have described my issue much better. About 4 days ago, i was about to roam on verizon with no problems at all. My call quality was awesome, my phone's battery was also awesome and then i update PRL to some crap that had auto a and b in it and my battery went in flames. From that point on, even roaming sucks now. I keeps jumping from 3-1 and so on. Once i go up the street, i get a full 5 bar + EVDO. My house is about .5 miles away from the top of the road and the signal up my street is awesome, but horrid at my house. I dont know what to do, i called Sprint and the jack*** tells me to move to an area where sprint service is better, that they cant do anything about it.
    They don't tell me that, they just tell me I have to pay $100 for the Airave, and then $10 more a month. I sincerely believe that those with the free Airaves where dudes (who are generally believed more and given their way by tech people), with long histories of service or they are on business accounts. Someone tried to give me some crap about the wiring in my house. I'm like dude, my family gets five stars...in the basement...under a CONCRETE CAR PORCH. It's this phone!
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    They don't tell me that, they just tell me I have to pay $100 for the Airave, and then $10 more a month. I sincerely believe that those with the free Airaves where dudes (who are generally believed more and given their way by tech people), with long histories of service or they are on business accounts. Someone tried to give me some crap about the wiring in my house. I'm like dude, my family gets five stars...in the basement...under a CONCRETE CAR PORCH. It's this phone!
    Yes, its the phone combined with Sprint's terrible coverage.
    Im feed up with this battery. I just turned everything back up. GPS and all. I dont care anymore. This is annoying. The love the phone, but the battery f'ing sucks big time. Please, dont give me that "all smartphones" crap. The other smartphones know how to turn things off when you're not using them, so it doesnt drain the battery and the other phones actually have proper coding that doesnt help destroy the battery life. With that being said, i love webos and i hope palm releases a new device soon and i'll def be buying this new device. If it has the same problem as this garbage of a hardware, i'll return that crap and just keep this crappy hardware. Im feed up......
    We are all trying to help you, no need to be cynical about it.

Fact of the matter is this is not normal. I get a full day out of my Pre while getting 50-100 e-mails a day set to push, plus texting, browsing, etc.. When my Pre is idle I get 1-2% battery drain.

How long have you had the Pre?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    When I am roaming my battery life drops very, very fast.
    Jason, check out this thread, it may be a solution for you: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ve-5-mins.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    We are all trying to help you, no need to be cynical about it.

Fact of the matter is this is not normal. I get a full day out of my Pre while getting 50-100 e-mails a day set to push, plus texting, browsing, etc.. When my Pre is idle I get 1-2% battery drain.

How long have you had the Pre?
    This present Pre, i've had it since feb. I originally bought a Pre in December. My battery life was terrible in december, but it improved in March and i was a happy. Then all of a sudden, it became terrible again. Do you have location services on and GPS?
  13.    #53  
    Do you guys mind telling me exactly what you do or did to get amazing 1-2% battery drain in 6-7 hours? im interested.
    Do you guys mind telling me exactly what you do or did to get amazing 1-2% battery drain in 6-7 hours? im interested.
    It should be obvious now...Verizon FTW. Seriously. Either Sprint needs to hook you up with an Airave, or you need to get on Verizon (or, get you PRL back to the one that was on it before).

I'm only going to say this once...it's not the phone. It's the reception. Any phone will drain faster than you can possibly believe if your signal is bouncing. It forces the phone to keep handshaking with the towers' CDMA signals. It has to sync up and communicate who it is. The act of cell tower handshaking is like the single biggest power draw you can possibly imagine. I've had a Razr that would drain from full power to nearly dead in just a few hours. My wife's two Blackberry's tend to drain rapidly at work when she's in certain areas of her building. She's gone to work with 3/4 battery and left for home with it dead. Where I work I have a poor spot in the middle of our production floor. My signal is crappy there, but my 8330 Curve and my Pre get the same signal strength and last roughly the same. And RIM is generally considered to have some of the best radios in phones.

Again...it's not the phone (OK, I said it twice...Shoot me...no really... ). It's the Sprint service. Yes, it's cheaper, but is it worth it? I hate seeing this phone get a bad rap because of **** poor signal quality. It would seem that whatever they did to your phone in the updated PRL may be the biggest culprit. See if you can't get Sprint to hook you up. Read the one thread and try it. You saw how my phone is setup. I don't turn everything off, and always have at least 3 or 4 apps running and I still get no worse than 2-3% drain per hour, max. Usually 1-2%. I have Verizon though, and rarely have **** poor signal strength.
  15.    #55  
    The problem is fixed for now. Weird enough. All i did was turn everything back on, charge the battery to 100% ( i checked battery monitor to make sure the gui reading was 100%) and then i turn them all back off and my battery is back to awesome again...If i dont use it, the battery stays the way it is. Thats awesome.
    i use the data toggle to turn off the data. my batter drain went down from 5% and hour to next to nothing and hour. i left my house 2 hours ago and i am still at 100%. I think that the Pre's battery is undersized for the capabilities in the Pre platform.

Perhaps eventually the case or the back cover would be the battery
    Quote Originally Posted by stan.forums View Post
    i use the data toggle to turn off the data. my batter drain went down from 5% and hour to next to nothing and hour. i left my house 2 hours ago and i am still at 100%. I think that the Pre's battery is undersized for the capabilities in the Pre platform.

Perhaps eventually the case or the back cover would be the battery
    What is the data toggle? so you basically turn off your data connection when you go out? Why don't you just get the dumb phone and save your data plan money? What's the point of having a smartphone and have to turn off data connection off?

BTW, my pre never last more than 8 hours per day with minimum usasage. I bring my usb everywhere. And couple of time I went out for drink after work, my battery was 100% when I left the office around 6pm, and my phone went dead around midnight. I had to use my friend's Iphone to call car service.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    What is the data toggle? so you basically turn off your data connection when you go out? Why don't you just get the dumb phone and save your data plan money? What's the point of having a smartphone and have to turn off data connection off?

BTW, my pre never last more than 8 hours per day with minimum usasage. I bring my usb everywhere. And couple of time I went out for drink after work, my battery was 100% when I left the office around 6pm, and my phone went dead around midnight. I had to use my friend's Iphone to call car service.
    In that case, get a touchstone charger. I dont agree, the Pre's battery is horrible
    One thing that might help some. I doctored my phone for the first time a month or so back and was surprised to find my mail settings for 2 gmail accounts remembered. I have it set for as mail arrives. My battery life was horrible, even worse than before, I would lose 15-20% or more of my battery from say 8:30-12:30 w/o even TOUCHING my phone. On a whim I toggled to another setting and back to as mail arrives, I'm back to getting semi-decent battery, only losing 5-6% or so for the same time period. That was the only change I'd made.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I had a strange problem after unlocking my GSM O2 Ireland Pre - the battery went from lasting well over 1 day down to 6-7hrs - even when not using it. (with GPS, BT, 3G, background syncs for facebook, email etc etc completely disabled).

After 2 weeks of this and checking various things, I noticed that I forgot to switch back the Qualcomm developer USB mode to normal (i.e. the Pre when plugging into the PC did not ask whether to "charge" or switch to "USB mode" anymore). This must have caused the drain, because after resetting the passthrough mode, the battery is back to its normal capacity.

Does anybody know why this could be, i.e. why the developer mode could cause such a battery drain?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast