Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I had a huge battery drain and i fixed it by getting the "Data toggle in device menu" Patch. It seems that palm did fail big time with battery life but this patch makes you more aware of how much of a battery hog 3G is.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedillume View Post
    You are right, the amount of apps do not matter. But a recently installed malfunctioning homebrew app could matter.

How did you make sure that all apps were no longer running in the background? Pack N Track never seems to turn off for me. As long as I have a package setup, it will alert me even if I have thrown away the card and pressed Orange+Sym+R.

Speaking of restart, I am assuming you have done that.

Yeah, I don't think that backup feature would cause such a problem, but if you are roaming with a weak signal, maybe it could be failing. Thus, it just keeps trying all day long. It was really just a shot in the dark since I don't fully understand how the backup feature works and was trying to think of other things that keep running.
    I always had Pack N Track. Im yet to use it, never actually tried it out anyway. I actually shut the phone down and then fired it back up, now its charging and when it gets to 100%, i'll fire up the battery monitor app with WiFi set to go off when the phone sleeps. Im actually roaming with about 4 bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @JasonBlack

I also can't stand the long boot time. The average is about 5 minutes. I'm convinced that there is a tiny little floppy disk inside that it boots from. If it makes you feel any better, my Blackberry Curve doesn't boot any faster, and I have to pull the battery about every other day when it locks up...

I try to keep a full battery handy so I can trade a 7 minute boot for not having a phone at all. And when I am at home, I like to use y 2600mah battery so I can play for hours.

I look forward to hearing your results from recent changes. Hopefully it will improve!
    Indeed. BB's are every worse. Hot garbage!
    I just wish WebOs had a cool messenger like BBM...Just like i'll be able to use it anyway. I'll be too busy trying to conserve my battery life by not turning it on at all. And yeah, its true about keeping the spare so you can atleast have a phone, but like i said, when im out, i dont use the phone that much. I answer a couple of calls and alot of text. i avoid 3D games and apps until i get home, unless if i HAVE to use an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    But, i've always used roaming. Even when the battery life was awesome. I actually turn off data too when im home, just so i can save myself numerous trips to the charger even when im not using the phone.
    Be careful with the too much roaming.. they will discontinue your service. (sprint)
    Yeah, i know. Thats if you dont use a certain percentage of your data plan and voice plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Why Qualcomm?
    Makers of the radios.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Makers of the radios.
    Right....Right..
    LOL welcome to the wonderful world of pre. Just keep it charged or keep a spare batt. No matter what you turn off batt life still gonna suck and why should we have to shut down our phone just so it will stay charged ..
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    LOL welcome to the wonderful world of pre. Just keep it charged or keep a spare batt. No matter what you turn off batt life still gonna suck and why should we have to shut down our phone just so it will stay charged ..
    Thats what im saying!...Why do i have to turn every darn thing off. That totally ruins my experience.
    The extended battery makes the phone bigger but since I have had it I don't even think about the battery anymore and I am a very heavy user. I charge it every other day.
    Jason, you may need to doctor to factory fresh and start all over. I wouuld also recommend getting a second battery as a backup and also you may have drained your original battery to far, in which case it will never operate to full efficiency again.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I purchased a Mugen 1400 (I know, you don't want to hear it) and figured that I would use my original battery for a spare. At idle my Pre uses a little over 1% per hour (wifi on, GPS on, email set to check every 15 min and the Uber-Kernal/Govnah set at Conservative 550 min/720 max). On a normal day while making/receiving some phone calls, sending /receiving texts and occasionally checking my email I still have over 60% battery at the end of the day. I never use my back up battery now.
    There's definitely something wrong. I would you have a misbehaving app sucking down your power, a bad battery, a bad phone, or poor signal strength. You mentioned you have 3-4 bars so I don't think that is it. You really need to swap in another battery and make sure the one you got wasn't defective (a single defective or poor cell could easily do this). I would say the battery or a misbehaving app would be the two biggest suspects. You can always Doctor your phone and try it fresh, but I still wonder, as I believe you mentioned poor battery life from the start.

Currently my phone is set to 720MH. I have two road runner emails with one set to 15 minutes and the other set to 1 hour. I have a GMail account that is now set to "as arrives" as I only use this account for SMTP for my road runner accounts and for passing my contacts and calenders through the cloud to my Outlook at home on my PC. I leave WiFi on, never turning it off (unless the signal is bad and 3G is working better for internet surfing). GPS is left on. Bluetooth is off. Brightness is at 14% and the screen is set to 30 seconds for shutting off. I have the Tasks app, email app, and Outline Tracker always open. I often have the messaging client open as well, but currently do not (it adds about 1% drain per hour when signed in to Google Talk). I have Govnah set to 500MHz as the minimum, so I'm not setting it below default speed.

With all that said and done, with a solid half hour of sitting on the touchstone at 100%, thereby getting a full trickle charge in to maximize the charge, my phone went down to just 92% over night, about 8 hours from when I pulled the phone off the stone and when I put it back on in the morning. I also used it off and on at work, including about a half hour's worth of browsing as well as a bunch of tasks/projects and email reading. By the end of my 8.5 hour shift, it was down to 80%. I've had heavy use days where I've dropped about 20% in about 2 hours moderately heavy browser use. About on par with my 8330 Curve. So this kind of performance should be quite doable, as I only turn off Bluetooth (no devices). I USE my phone and have found I can normally do a whole shift at work with no problem at all. Of course, I normally will top it off during the day for battery life and max performance. I have, however, not charged during the day on a number of occasions, and have only seen 32% as the lowest with about 3 hours of browser use, some gaming, and a lot of email, as well as a short phone call (5 minutes). You should be able to get at least 5 hours of use no matter what (rated talk time should be the worst).

One other thing, take it from an Engineer, with cobalt chemistry Lithium Ions you DO NOT want to deep cycle. Keep the thing at or above 50% charge as much as possible. This type of battery, which most Lith Ions are, will degrade far less with repeated shallow discharge cycles. A deep cycle's only value is giving your battery meter a "Calibration" but it's not worth it in my book. I've only been below 50% 3 times since I've had the phone.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I purchased a Mugen 1400 (I know, you don't want to hear it) and figured that I would use my original battery for a spare. At idle my Pre uses a little over 1% per hour (wifi on, GPS on, email set to check every 15 min and the Uber-Kernal/Govnah set at Conservative 550 min/720 max). On a normal day while making/receiving some phone calls, sending /receiving texts and occasionally checking my email I still have over 60% battery at the end of the day. I never use my back up battery now.
    Actually, if it's that good, I want to know more!..How much does this cost?
    I recommend restarting your phone when you wake up in the morning. Like if you wake up and go to take a shower, just restart your phone. A good restart every day or two is good, and it keeps it refresh. It never feels sluggish and anything in the background is usually eliminated.
    It use to be 31 dollars shipped, I don't know what it is now. The only drawbacks is that they only take PayPal and someone has to be home to sign for the package.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    mate, you do realise the 1400 batteries aren't actually any bigger than the standard battery? they're the same size. get a seido 1350 or a mugen/whatever 1400 (they're kinda 1350 anyway), and pop it in. seriously, works with touchstone, is exactly the same size.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    There's definitely something wrong. I would you have a misbehaving app sucking down your power, a bad battery, a bad phone, or poor signal strength. You mentioned you have 3-4 bars so I don't think that is it. You really need to swap in another battery and make sure the one you got wasn't defective (a single defective or poor cell could easily do this). I would say the battery or a misbehaving app would be the two biggest suspects. You can always Doctor your phone and try it fresh, but I still wonder, as I believe you mentioned poor battery life from the start.

Currently my phone is set to 720MH. I have two road runner emails with one set to 15 minutes and the other set to 1 hour. I have a GMail account that is now set to "as arrives" as I only use this account for SMTP for my road runner accounts and for passing my contacts and calenders through the cloud to my Outlook at home on my PC. I leave WiFi on, never turning it off (unless the signal is bad and 3G is working better for internet surfing). GPS is left on. Bluetooth is off. Brightness is at 14% and the screen is set to 30 seconds for shutting off. I have the Tasks app, email app, and Outline Tracker always open. I often have the messaging client open as well, but currently do not (it adds about 1% drain per hour when signed in to Google Talk). I have Govnah set to 500MHz as the minimum, so I'm not setting it below default speed.

With all that said and done, with a solid half hour of sitting on the touchstone at 100%, thereby getting a full trickle charge in to maximize the charge, my phone went down to just 92% over night, about 8 hours from when I pulled the phone off the stone and when I put it back on in the morning. I also used it off and on at work, including about a half hour's worth of browsing as well as a bunch of tasks/projects and email reading. By the end of my 8.5 hour shift, it was down to 80%. I've had heavy use days where I've dropped about 20% in about 2 hours moderately heavy browser use. About on par with my 8330 Curve. So this kind of performance should be quite doable, as I only turn off Bluetooth (no devices). I USE my phone and have found I can normally do a whole shift at work with no problem at all. Of course, I normally will top it off during the day for battery life and max performance. I have, however, not charged during the day on a number of occasions, and have only seen 32% as the lowest with about 3 hours of browser use, some gaming, and a lot of email, as well as a short phone call (5 minutes). You should be able to get at least 5 hours of use no matter what (rated talk time should be the worst).

One other thing, take it from an Engineer, with cobalt chemistry Lithium Ions you DO NOT want to deep cycle. Keep the thing at or above 50% charge as much as possible. This type of battery, which most Lith Ions are, will degrade far less with repeated shallow discharge cycles. A deep cycle's only value is giving your battery meter a "Calibration" but it's not worth it in my book. I've only been below 50% 3 times since I've had the phone.
    I'll be purchasing a new battery. A mugen 1400mah.
    Last edited by Jason Black; 05/21/2010 at 06:29 AM.
    I agree with falconrap: it's most likely either some bad app or it's a bad battery. I get pretty decent battery life out of my Pre these days (it used to be worse but updates have made a big difference).

To kill a misbehaving app, you may have to go so far as to pull the battery, wait 30 seconds or so, and then fire up your Pre. Cutting power altogether might reset whatever the issue is.

If that doesn't work, I would do a webOS Doctor. Really, it's not that painful now that it doesn't wipe out your USB drive. I actually believe that the webOS Dr is a good thing to do if you've had several updates to the OS. If you have a lot of patches and homebrew, this will also allow you to run stock for a little while, which will give you a baseline.

If your battery life is still poor after that, then I think the battery pretty sure to be your culprit.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  17.    #37  
    How is it possible that my battery drain is 32.64% on idle lol..
    sun spots?
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    sun spots?
    Not at all. Im in the house. Also, i pretty much deleted all the new apps i got. And actually now, i suspect that its the roaming thats messing me up because since sprint updated me to the new roaming (auto A & B, Sprint only) and back to the old one, my roaming has kept messing up. Jumping from 3 bars to non and then reconnecting. I would update it but i have 0 Sprint coverage down here, hence i always roam when im home.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    How is it possible that my battery drain is 32.64% on idle lol..
    That's high, what is on when the phone is idle?

I keep bluetooth,gps and wifi off and email set to 'as items arrive'. I get about 1% drain over 6 hours of being idle on the stock battery. I think you may have battery issues.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast