Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I headed into a meeting the other day and dutifully switched my phone to silence using the switch at the top of the phone. Much to my surprise, when I fired up Asphalt 5 in the middle of the meeting, everyone was greeted with the jarring opening music. So, the silence switch doesn't silence games?
    Obviously not, lol.
    You can install the patch, think its called really silent ringer switch, this prevents any game sounds.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    LOL ohh that's too funny. Thanks for the giggle
    BUSTED!
    I don't believe I've had any phone where the Silence/Ringer Mute did anything but Mute the ringer, Alarms went off, games continued to beep.
    It's a ringer switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I headed into a meeting the other day and dutifully switched my phone to silence using the switch at the top of the phone. Much to my surprise, when I fired up Asphalt 5 in the middle of the meeting, everyone was greeted with the jarring opening music. So, the silence switch doesn't silence games?
    Toggling the switch just turns on vibrate mode for the ringer. You need to turn the volume down on games, music, and the like separately. Just open the music app and turn the volume all the way down before opening the game.
    That's why the Really Silent Mute patch is a neccessity.
    You could also see if anyone in the meeting fancies a crack at your hi score
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Just use the volume buttons on the side of the phone.
    You still have to open an app that actually uses the volume control, otherwise the volume control only adjusts ringer volume.
    Most games let you set them to silence within the game (do that BEFORE the meeting ) Also, did you try just turning the volume down on the volume button on the side of the phone? I was thinking that would also silence the game (too late, of course)...

There are patches to REALLY silence the phone, but then you will miss alarms, calls, etc if you don't remember to turn the switch on and turn the volume back up. I've missed a few that way because I turned the ringer way down, forgetting that it also turns the alarm volume down (note to Palm, must fix that... even my T/X had that granularity)...

Because I'm forgetful, I just can't bring myself to use the "REALLY COMPLETELY SILENT" patch... I would if the vibrate sound was loud like my Treo/Centro were...

I will be curious to see what solution you land on.
    LOL I did that the first day 3D games came out fired up need for speed when I finally got it downloaded and had to close it real quick (I was at my desk on break so not as bad as being in a meeting but did catch me off guard). I now use really silent ringer from Jason.
    I didn't know about that... Thanks for the warning! I was under the assumption that the 'silent switch' silenced all sound besides the alarm...
    Ah! so that's what you do during meetings huh? LOL
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Most games let you set them to silence within the game (do that BEFORE the meeting ) Also, did you try just turning the volume down on the volume button on the side of the phone? I was thinking that would also silence the game (too late, of course)...

There are patches to REALLY silence the phone, but then you will miss alarms, calls, etc if you don't remember to turn the switch on and turn the volume back up. I've missed a few that way because I turned the ringer way down, forgetting that it also turns the alarm volume down (note to Palm, must fix that... even my T/X had that granularity)...

Because I'm forgetful, I just can't bring myself to use the "REALLY COMPLETELY SILENT" patch... I would if the vibrate sound was loud like my Treo/Centro were...

I will be curious to see what solution you land on.
    Yeah, I knew I could use the volume buttons on the side. I'd never used the silence switch and mistakenly thought it would silence everything. Oh well. I just acted all confused like I didn't know I'd brought my phone with me.
    Even with the 'Really Silent Ringer Switch Mute' patch you have to be careful. Some functions will turn sound back on again, despite the position of the switch. If I'm in a situation where silence is a must, and I already have the switch on 'silence', I always flip the switch back and forth once just to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Even with the 'Really Silent Ringer Switch Mute' patch you have to be careful. Some functions will turn sound back on again, despite the position of the switch. If I'm in a situation where silence is a must, and I already have the switch on 'silence', I always flip the switch back and forth once just to be sure.
    examples? just curious cuz even after using dr podder for example, if the app is closed I lose the sound at relaunch and have to toggle the switch again to give the app access to play audio
    Isn't there a lesson in there somewhere about playing games during meeting? Nevermind....
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    You still have to open an app that actually uses the volume control, otherwise the volume control only adjusts ringer volume.
    What you need is the Device Menu Megamix with media volume patch! I think it's from xanthinealkaloid, a modification of Jason Robitaille's originial device menu mega mix. It's great, just like regular device megamix (love the LED flashlight toggle) BUT you can adjust media volume via toggle from device menu BEFORE you pull up a game.

I had the same problem. My Let's Golf gave me away that I wasn't really paying attention to the wife while "checking work email". Now I know I can throttle down media volume BEFORE launching the app and then using volume controls.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast