Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This article is from just barely over a year ago and Verizon plainly admits to blocking standalone GPS in certain devices. I think we can safely put an end to the nonsense that VZ would never do anything like this. Here they have gone on the record stating that they do.

Verizon Locks Out GPS Competition, Customers Complain - PCWorld Business Center
    We all know this.It's old news why keep beating a dead horse.My recomendation is find a hobby besides posting redundent info here.
  3.    #3  
    No, "we" don't all know it. Read the other threads. There are a few on here who refuse to acknowledge that Verizon could/would ever do anything to cripple GPS in the Pre Plus. Instead they'd rather have us believe everything works fine as long as go through a list of 22 specific actions every time we wish to use our GPS. MOST of knew what is in this article to be true, but I posted it for the benefit of those who refuse to accept reality. Verizon blocks GPS and they go on the record admitting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Verizon blocks GPS and they go on the record admitting it.
    They called me up yesterday and flat out told me they are blocking it, and it wont be fixed, but guys who know engineers will tell you otherwise in here. BTW - they gave me 10% off my Palm accounts for 6 months for the hassle of being screwed. I tried posting that info on this site but this same guy in this thread bashed me down with his "better" knowledge and then the mod came in and closed the thread.
    Let's keep open minds until this issue is resolved. The last we heard, Verizon has said they will fix the problem:

http://www.precentral.net/verizon-pr...s-issues-webos
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Let's keep open minds until this issue is resolved. The last we heard, Verizon has said they will fix the problem:

OK... me posting here is just pointless then. Because the LAST we heard was the phone call I got yesterday. Not some dude on twitter over a week ago... and like I said, they will continue to have their engineers working as usual until this news is released. They are dealing with dodging lots of legal troubles right now and honestly always. All I can do is tell you how the corporate person (not some claimed friend) called me up and told me that. And all you can do is dismiss my claims and drive me away from posting information at this site all while allowing someone to just trash only this topic with every post they have ever done on precentral. I'm providing info, he's being a troll, and you shun me off... nice.
    Another verdict from Yankboy, what a surprise. Why don't you contribute to the existing threads? Why makes another post?!

Do you think you are helping the people that come here looking to find answers about their Verizon GPS issue? NOO!! All they're going to see are your useless threads just bashing Verizon instead of the more useful ones.

Just focus on giving it to Vzw through Twitter, since it's public. So that more people are aware of what they're doing.

Thanks for reading, now I'll continue my journey with Google Maps Navigation on my Dro....oh wait, let me not go there.
    Hey I am that some dude - :P

I do need to call them and see if I can get a person to tell me that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    Hey I am that some dude - :P

lol... I hate twitter... But more than me have heard this now. Three options: change phone for free, out of contract for free, or keep all and they let you call in every month and have the charge for VZNav removed for free. However, as of 1.4.1.1 no third party apps work right even with VZ Nav installed. I have this setuop and can confirm the phone is still junk when it comes to GPS. hello droid?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetarTed View Post
    lol... I hate twitter... But more than me have heard this now. Three options: change phone for free, out of contract for free, or keep all and they let you call in every month and have the charge for VZNav removed for free. However, as of 1.4.1.1 no third party apps work right even with VZ Nav installed. I have this setuop and can confirm the phone is still junk when it comes to GPS. hello droid?
    GPS does work, mine worked without the patch. It works better with the Patch.

I had the Droid, still do, selling it tomorrow. It's a nice phone and I do admit I miss some of the features. I just like the underdog and I bet Palm has some great things in store for us and now with HP backing them, hopefully they will be able to do it.

The WebOS is a great OS. I love the true multi-tasking. I just hope the next phone is on par with what is out there now. They also need to pen up the SDK more.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrose001 View Post
    We all know this.It's old news why keep beating a dead horse.My recomendation is find a hobby besides posting redundent info here.
    +1

And if this is the "final verdict," hopefully it will be your last thead about GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    GPS does work, mine worked without the patch. It works better with the Patch.

I had the Droid, still do, selling it tomorrow. It's a nice phone and I do admit I miss some of the features. I just like the underdog and I bet Palm has some great things in store for us and now with HP backing them, hopefully they will be able to do it.

The WebOS is a great OS. I love the true multi-tasking. I just hope the next phone is on par with what is out there now. They also need to pen up the SDK more.

I love this WebOS, myself. NOTHING else like it, but when a lot of my apps run gps and they cant work (second pre, before and after update to 1.4.1.1, with and without VZ Nav, and them telling me it wont be allowed on this product) I'm leaning towards the droid. And get google sky! I really want to stay with Palm. I liked my Treo 750 aside from no GPS, this one blows its doors off even without GPS, but that was a huge buying point for me, and I was lied to and cheated on that by Verizon. I say this because they admitted it to me yesterday. Hopefully those that don't want to hear about this anymore will just quit reading the threads. These are real problems we are having, you know?
    Yeah, we all feel hurt by Verizon. I'm just hoping that either Palm or the homebrewers can come up with a solution. I wouldn't hold my breath when it comes to Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by imonvzw View Post
    Thanks for reading, now I'll continue my journey with Google Maps Navigation on my Dro....oh wait, let me not go there.
    I have this setuop and can confirm the phone is still junk when it comes to GPS. hello droid?
    Now the "hello dro..." stuff, I don't quite understand. As has been noted in other threads, the GPS works fine on other networks - it (appears) that it's Verizon that's causing the grief.

So why would someone diss the phone, and essentially reward VZ (by using another phone on their system), when the fault isn't the phone, but rather what VZ is doing to the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Now the "hello dro..." stuff, I don't quite understand. As has been noted in other threads, the GPS works fine on other networks - it (appears) that it's Verizon that's causing the grief.

So why would someone diss the phone, and essentially reward VZ (by using another phone on their system), when the fault isn't the phone, but rather what VZ is doing to the phone?
    I would take the Pre over Droid, but if I'm stuck in a 2 year contract for some reason and I can either keep a Palm Pre Minus or get a full functioning Droid, it really is the only practical solution. They are gearing us toward this throughout all of this.
    I would take the Pre over Droid, but if I'm stuck in a 2 year contract for some reason and I can either keep a Palm Pre Minus or get a full functioning Droid, it really is the only practical solution. They are gearing us toward this throughout all of this.
    I had the droid and it does seem like they are pushing people towards Android phones.

Android lacks true multi-tasking, it does multi-task but there is no good way to switch between open apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

I was just poking a little fun as well as ranting at the same time. I'm fortunate enough to have both phones but if I were to choose one, WebOS would definitely be my weapon of choice. Just looks so eye-pleasing and it feels so natural to maneuver around. What my Pre+ lacks the Droid does pretty well so I'm taken care of one way or the other. I can't wait to see what's in store with the new HP money. I hope a faster development cycle is in store. I also hope that Vzw twitter does pan out.
    The following is an e-mail I've just sent to Lisa Bennett in the NE Area VZW Executive Relations Team, in response to a conversation we had last week (after my initial note) on this issue:

Ms. Bennett,

Thank you so much for following up, and for the opportunity to provide you with this information. The following are just a few of the many stories and discussions (including within Verizonís own forum) demonstrating the problems that only Verizon Wirelessí Pre Plus is having with GPS:

Palm Pre Plus GPS issue - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

GPS Problem denied by Verizon tech support - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

Countdown til I leave Verizon... - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

http://www.precentral.net/verizon-pr...gps-after-1411

http://www.precentral.net/3rd-party-...-pre-pixi-plus

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-issues.html

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2442211

GPS! - Palm Support Community

Why I Dumped My Palm Pre Plus After A Month

Palm Pre Plus GPS Might Be a Little Janky

Palm Pre Plus plagued by problems with the GPS? ę Boy Genius Report

Apparently, this is not a new issue for Verizon and smartphones with GPS:

Verizon: Please Stop Disabling GPS in Smartphones on Your Network

Verizon Locks Out GPS Competition, Customers Complain - PCWorld Business Center

Also, note that reviewers (such as Palm Pre Plus (AT&T) - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine and http://www.precentral.net/att-palm-pre-plus-review) observe that AT&Tís essentially identical Pre Plus has excellent GPS functionality, in sharp contrast to the Verizon Wireless devices they have tested.

At this point, I like many Verizon customers with Pre Plus phones am at a loss; mine simply does not work properly, and often only gets a fix if Iím using VZ Navigator, for which Verizon charges $10/month. Given that Verizonís own page for the Pre Plus (here) describes the Pre Plus as having ďAssisted & Standalone GPS,Ē one would think that those features actually worked, but they simply do not. This is unacceptable and a breach of Verizonís public trust.

I love my Pre Plus, and I am happy with Verizonís service overall, but the company needs to both publicly acknowledge this issue, and commit to and follow through on a rapid fix. As I had mentioned during our conversation, I would be happy to work with your technicians on troubleshooting and testing any proposed solutions.

I look forward to further word from you on resolving this issue. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I was trying to figure out wording for an e-mail to them.

Mind if I tweak yours some?
    Feel free. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast