1.    #1  
    I really like the idea of the gesture area being able to scroll the screen in landscape in the browser, the problem is that the amount it scrolls is the same regardless of how far or how fast you swipe. It makes it annoying. Now I know that touch area is just as precise as the rest of the screen because if I'm pinch zooming out and my finger slides into the gesture area, the accuracy of my zoom out remains the same, so is there any way to make it 1:1? That would be amazing.
    I think the gesture area only detects input in a set area so I don't see this happening
  3.    #3  
    just play with the pop up dock and you'll see what I mean. If you bring it up and then take your finger back down so it stays within the gesture area and then slide your finger from left to right the phone will follow your movement 1:1. The accuracy is there. There is just a need for a patch to use it.
    gesture area is a page up / page down scroll. Scrolling on the screen itself is proportional to finger speed...
  5.    #5  
    yes I know. But the gesture area is accurate enough to allow scrolling based on finger speed. I just like the idea because it would allow me to scroll link heavy web pages without worrying about accidentally clicking a link while scrolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    yes I know. But the gesture area is accurate enough to allow scrolling based on finger speed. I just like the idea because it would allow me to scroll link heavy web pages without worrying about accidentally clicking a link while scrolling.
    As long as your finger is moving, it will ignore any links. If it looks like it is taking the link, tap anywhere on the screen and it will usually stop because it sees that as another scroll.

Also, there is a great patch that has top/bottom shortcut keys to greatly reduce scrolling.

Finally, if you double tap in a frame, it will autosize that frame to your screen. that helps to reduce the pinch/zoom stuff.

I read in another thread that lots of scrolling actually reduces battery life because the CPU is doing it, instead of the GPU... so the more efficient the scrolling, the better. Apparently that will be solved in an upcoming webOS release...
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    In landscape mode, double tap on the text area to zoom to screen width, and then when you scroll in the gesture area the jumps won't be so far.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    the gesture area doesn't have the same capacitive capabilities as the screen. The gesture area only understands basic stuff. Tap (same as swipe up), short swipe left/right, full swipe left/right. That's why is is assigned to page level scrolling.

Also, there is a cool feature in settings that lets you flick between open apps without going in to card view. It defaults to off. If you turn it on, the gesture area will differentiate a short swipe (back or forward) with a full length swipe to move between open apps in full screen mode.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the gesture area doesn't have the same capacitive capabilities as the screen. The gesture area only understands basic stuff. Tap (same as swipe up), short swipe left/right, full swipe left/right. That's why is is assigned to page level scrolling.

Also, there is a cool feature in settings that lets you flick between open apps without going in to card view. It defaults to off. If you turn it on, the gesture area will differentiate a short swipe (back or forward) with a full length swipe to move between open apps in full screen mode.
    Who's been lying to you? I swear I need to make a video of this to prove it. I don't know if the gesture area is just as exact as the rest of the screen, but it is much much much more exact than you describe.

Just try this, right now. Grab your phone, and take your finger and place it on the gesture area.

Now Slide it up slowly towards the screen. The dock will appear. You can move your finger from left to right to highlight the different apps on there. Working great? Perfect.

Now, without lifting your finger, bring your finger back down into the gesture area. Make sure to not go bellow the center button/center light (if you have the pixi/pre plus) You will notice the dock is still showing on the screen.

While staying within the gesture area and not touching the actual screen, move your finger left and right over the gesture area. You will notice that the dock will follow your movements accurately. It will even register if you begin to move your finger up and down as well as left and right, without any problems. You will find that the movement is very much 1:1.

Now I know that this is not a necessity to have in any way and I know that once the page starts scrolling that the phone will not register any clicks. However when you first start to scroll, about 10% of the time the machine will register the beginning of the scroll as a click instead of a scroll, and that 10% is really freaking annoying. Especially on sites like reddit where the whole site is links or dig where simply clicking on the text registers as clicking on the link.

Now I know that the gesture area can support it hardware wise. What I explained above proves it and if you guys still don't believe me, or for whatever reason don't understand what I am talking about, I will happily make a video showing what I mean.

I know zooming in makes the standard gesture scrolling less dramatic, but it feels so unprofessional when it just jerks the way it does. 1:1 movement would just be so so so much nicer. I know it's not necessary, but neither are half of the patches on preware. It's just whether or not you will personally find this useful and I would very much find this useful if someone made it.

Sorry for the long rant.