Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Egypt uses 2100 for UMTS, why don't you wait a week and get the UK QWERTY Pre Plus instead? The AT&T one won't work in 3G there.
    I'm assuming you mean a German QWERTZ here. Since there has never been an unlocked QWERTY .eu GSM Pre available from any carrier, I'm fairly skeptical about there being be a QWERTY Pre Plus available unlocked from O2 in the UK ...

Or are you referring to a third-party unlock solution?

If you know of a carrier-unlocked QWERTY EU GSM Pre Plus, I want to know about it, cause I'd like to order that one instead of the QWERTZ EU GSM Pre Plus I'll be ordering from Germany and shipping via the US.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/22/2010 at 05:17 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm assuming you mean a German QWERTZ here. Since there has never been an unlocked QWERTY .eu GSM Pre available from any carrier, I'm fairly skeptical about there being be a QWERTY Pre Plus available unlocked from O2 in the UK ...

Or are you referring to a third-party unlock solution?

If you know of a carrier-unlocked QWERTY EU GSM Pre Plus, I want to know about it, cause I'd like to order that one instead of the QWERTZ EU GSM Pre Plus I'll be ordering from Germany and shipping via the US.

-- Rod
    Yes, I was referring to Nextgen. It's confirmed it works for the SFR Pre Plus, and since it's only a keyboard difference it'll work.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Yes, I was referring to Nextgen. It's confirmed it works for the SFR Pre Plus, and since it's only a keyboard difference it'll work.
    Hmm - if my German Pixi Plus activated in the US works for paid apps here in Australia, then maybe I'll get an SFR Pre Plus shipped to the US and Nextgen it.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Rod, are you shipping them via the US just for activation in order to get the US Catalog, or to get the US payment options.
    It seems the Pre Plus shows the country of origin AppCat, no matter where it's activated. Beware of the Loi Toubon
    What evidence do we have for that?

For the Pre, all my experiments so far point to country of first activation (with that fact being associated with the hardware id, which can travel across multiple different profiles), not country of origin.

-- Rod
    The other thread with 2 cases. Hadn't read your post there yet.
    Sounds like a marvellous plan
    So to double check:

Are you aware of any evidence which may indicate that my plan might fail?

I'm shipping it via the US for activation there to get the US app catalog and US payment options (I'll use my existing www.simon.com account which is already known to work on multiple Sprint devices that I have in Australia).

-- Rod
    No, not aware in the sense that I'm sure about anything. For me it's all speculation.

If Palm has changed anything for Plus devices, it would have to be server side, as the findapp files for the Pre Plus are identical in every bit (afaict). I would not be surprised though if Palm chose to have device model or even DeviceId be the determining factor for the plus. It would increase their chances on a global market.

As for your personal Philias Fogg scenario; depending on Palm's procedure, it will either result in the US Catalog (unchanged) or the German Catalog (changed), right?
    Possible third would be the German App Catalog and US payment options.
    Hell, I don't know.

EDIT some more:
    If the procedure has been changed though, your plan might just fail:
    Maffiaboy (Canada) gets the US Catalog and NA payment options: no problem, his country is included.
    i_maq (UK) gets the German Catalog and European payment options: no problem, his country is included.
    rwhitby (AUS) gets the German Catalog and European payment options: problem, his country (US - Simon) is not included.
    Yeah, it depends if geo-restrictions are in play or not. But if that happens I'll just have to put delegate on the device and route all app catalog traffic via a US proxy server.

-- Rod
    Proxy won't matter, since your device's entitlement to paid apps has already been set (deviceid has been logged). Right?
    delegate, is that similar to squid?
    Right, but then I either get paid German apps (if it's country of origin) or paid US apps (if it's country of first activation). It's the third option that delegate gets around.

DeleGate Home Page (www.delegate.org) - I've already ported it to Optware and it runs nicely on the Pre.

-- Rod
    Thanks.
    So you think the payment options displayed are dynamically based on source IP?
    Would Codeen transparent proxies do the trick though?
    No, I still believe it's country of first activation only.

I was responding to your postulation that I could end up with a third option that did not have access to either German or US paid apps (an option that I do not think will occur, or I wouldn't have spent almost AUD$1K to buy an unlocked device in Germany and have it shipped to Australia via activation in the US).

-- Rod
    The UK Pre Plus will most certainly will be overcharged by ebay sellers for the simple fact it's QWERTY (just like the Pre Minus is). Moreover, a lot of ebay sellers just don't ship abroad on account of Royal Mail being a Royal Pain in the buttocks with parcels being thrown overboard and without any track-and-trace functionality. On top of that, if you ship using DHL, it will cost you 3 bicycles, a cocktail shaker, and your granny's underwear.

I say get an AZERTY Pre Plus for € 250, unlock it for 25 guid, and start using a Pre instead of talking about it all the time.

Even better; get a normal Pre (see my signature). Do you even know why you want a Plus?
    (I've got a big Plus because it's got a V8 )
    Actually, my experience with Royal Mail is good. I received my Pre from UK to Malaysia in 7 working days (international small pakage sign-for). It cost 16pounds with trackable code and insurance.

OTOH, DHL Germany sucks and 2 other Pre that I try to bring in from Germany is now probably mixed with the Iceland volcano ash somewhere. The case is now reviewed by PayPal.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmoAnest View Post
    Actually, my experience with Royal Mail is good. I received my Pre from UK to Malaysia in 7 working days (international small pakage sign-for). It cost 16pounds with trackable code and insurance.

OTOH, DHL Germany sucks and 2 other Pre that I try to bring in from Germany is now probably mixed with the Iceland volcano ash somewhere. The case is now reviewed by PayPal.
    I had a device go missing for almost three months with DHL Germany. It eventually turned up three weeks after an insurance claim was started.

DHL Germany - just say no.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I had a device go missing for almost three months with DHL Germany. It eventually turned up three weeks after an insurance claim was started.

DHL Germany - just say no.

-- Rod
    Yea, just say no to German DHL.
    Hope my Pres will turn up too.
    EDIT: thewhitetower has no paid apps on a French Pre Plus activated in Australia, so you should be fine (Palm hasn't changed anything, and the two reports don't make sense)
    I have an unlocked Spanish Pre here in Australia, and have the full spanish catalogue. Just don't have a Spanish C/C :-(

edit: someone in SA has a Palm Pre on eBay.au
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Your point?
    Well I'm assuming it was activated in Spain. I do wonder if a credit card from any of the approved countries would buy the spanish apps though?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

might have to set up a proxy and get a wirecard :-)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    So uk got the pre plus and pixi plus any word on unlocked price?

http://www.precentral.net/pre-plus-p...vailable-o2-uk
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Well I am getting a new phone next month and am already offered an iphone 3gs for 450$ in my home country fully unlocked and new, so why should I pay for an overpriced phone with unconfirmed activation and app catalog access ?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    "second hand Pre" ??
    Actually its based on the Country of First Activation =)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12