1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've just got around to using Quick Install for the first time - with MortiseMaker's excellent guides all went well - the Pre connected to the PC on the first try, I selected a number of tweaks, enjoyed trhe new improved Pre Experience... then turned off Aircraft Mode (or whatever the English name is - my Pre is set to German).
    This did not bring up the numeric key pad but only the Phone Settings page; I tried everything I could think of, including removing the battery for 30 minutes - still no keypad, just "SIM locked - SOS only".
    I then ran EPR and had my phone back.
    I just installed the - for me - most important patch (Add Pages in Launcher) - everything worked; any second patch would remove phone access again.

Has anyone seen this phenomenon, and is there a known solution?
    (O2 GSM Pre, 1.4.1)

Regards,

Jochen
    I have never seen or heard anything close to your problem but maybe sombody else has.
    I do suggest installing preware onto your pre if you have not already and installing your tweak/patches from there. You may find more stable results from using this. It is in the applications webos internals (pre) feed. Or (pixi) if you have a pixi.
    Wow, this is the first I have heard of this as well. I second the Preware route as it doesn't get any easier than that. It would be interesting to see if you have the same problems with Preware.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4.    #4  
    Thank you both - I just tried it and it works!
    Compared to QuickInstall it's of course very slow, but by now I've installed six patches without any problem at all.

Now, of course, I've got TWO questions:
    -why the QuickInstall problem, and...
    -how does a patch installed by PreWare differ from one installed by QuickInstall?

Regards,

Jochen
    Gonna throw a wild guess out there.... the "Aircraft mode" is airplane mode, and effectively turned of the radios? Possibly some confusion in turning off Dev Mode vs Airplane Mode???

I dunno how GSM phones handle airplane mode vs CDMA, so I am far from an expert on what message you would get in airplane mode.

Like I said just a guess, and could be way off, but I haven't heard of this issue to this point either.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Gonna throw a wild guess out there.... the "Aircraft mode" is airplane mode, and effectively turned of the radios? Possibly some confusion in turning off Dev Mode vs Airplane Mode???

I dunno how GSM phones handle airplane mode vs CDMA, so I am far from an expert on what message you would get in airplane mode.

Like I said just a guess, and could be way off, but I haven't heard of this issue to this point either.
    This is exactly what I thought. I think he confused aircraft mode (airplane mode?) for Dev Mode, and thats why he wasn't able to access anything as he was in Airplane Mode.

Also, Dev Mode does not need to be turned off. You can leave it on all of the time.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    check to make sure your SIM is properly seated. The SOS signal is generally telling you the phone can't find the network or something related to the SIM card. Happens on my Blackberry Curve every now and then (because I hate it and I treat it badly) and reseating the SIM always solves the SOS...
  8.    #8  
    In answer to the last three messages:
    -Yes, the German "Flugzeug" can be translated as "Airplane" (a small icon of a plane appears instead od the bars which show reception quality)
    -No, Dev Mode was on all the time.
    -I tried installing via QuickInstall both with airplane mode on and off; each time I could not get access to my phone again once I had engaged airplane mode: switching it off again lead to the reception bars - all greyed out - and "SIM locked - SOS only".

Regards,

Jiochen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    -why the QuickInstall problem, and...
    Honestly not sure what happened. Could be a bug in one of the applied patches or possible a German localization issue with one of the applied patches. If it's either of those possibilities, eventually, you'll re-apply the offending patch, so it may be best to re-apply patches one at a time to see which might be the cause of the issue.

-how does a patch installed by PreWare differ from one installed by QuickInstall?
    Absolutely no difference. The two share the same patch repository and install using the same methods. If you installs something with Preware, it'll show as installed in WOSQI, and the reverse.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    it seems like your sim card was pin locked, you can turn the pin lock off in the phone settings.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by weizen View Post
    it seems like your sim card was pin locked, you can turn the pin lock off in the phone settings.
    Err, sorry, no - the Phone Settings card is shown when I switch the Pre on, but nothing responds to taps in any way.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    If you install something with Preware, it'll show as installed in WOSQI, and the reverse.
    Well, that settles it - something must be seriously wrong with my setup; of the 13 patches I installed with PreWare, only TWO appear in WOSQI.
    (Strangely, though, it WAS possible to remove all patches with EPR - which was necessary because after the unlucky 13th patch my phone was unavailable again.)

I guess - as the device is only a week old and according to PreWare there are just 63 bits and pieces installed, it might be best to flatten everything completely with the help of the Doctor and start anew very, very carefully.

Only conceivable problem: I bought a dozen or so programs from the AppStore; will I have to buy them again if I restore my phone to its factory settings?

CORRECTION: running EPR gave me back my phone, so I could use PreWare again; this shows 11 patches still applied.

Regards,

Jochen
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 05/21/2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: New info appeared
    I've been noticing the phone goes offline and back when using WOSQI. The solution if it gets stuck in that state when disconnecting has been to shut down, remove SIM, start up, shut down, put SIM back in and start the phone.

Just toggling the radios has not been working for me. I have the PIN disabled, so I don't know if this bug will produce those symptoms if you have PIN security enabled.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Only conceivable problem: I bought a dozen or so programs from the AppStore; will I have to buy them again if I restore my phone to its factory settings?
    No. Your app purchases are stored in your profile. When you log back into your profile, the phone will download your prior purchases.
    Wow all this makes me very happy I have CDMA (yeah I know many GSM people don't have issues, but all the SIM card talk makes me happy I haven't had to deal with a SIM in YEARS)
  16.    #16  
    Hi,

my problem has been solved; for a (seemingly) unrelated problem, Jason Robitaille recommended the use of "Emergency Reconstruction Utility". I did, and it not only solved my other problem, but my phone is back!