Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I just updated my prl tonight and it reads 65000. But now under phone preferences and voice network I get 3 options. I now get sprint only, automatic-a, and automatic-b. It used to just say sprint and automatic, no a and b options. Does anyone know what the difference is between a and b or which to choose?
    I just did this as well, after reading your post. I, too, would like to know what Automatic-A and Automatic-B are.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    mine did the same thing, are they trying to stop roaming?
    If you set either Auto-A or Auto-B you will roam...we are just not sure what the difference between them is...

updateVoiceRoaming: function(payload){
    if(!payload.returnValue || !payload.extended)
    return;

if (payload.extended.preferredonly === false) {
    this.roamingAllowsBandSelection = true;
    this.voiceRoamingChoices[1] = {
    label: $L("Automatic - A"),
    value: "class0_A_side"
    };
    this.voiceRoamingChoices[2] = {
    label: $L("Automatic - B"),
    value: "class0_B_side" // cdma: the 12" extended remix?
    };

switch (payload.extended.band) {
    case "class0_A_side":
    case "class0_B_side":
    this.voiceRoamingModel.currentVoiceRoaming = payload.extended.band;
    $('dataroamingrow').show();
    break;
    Thanks Mamouton. Now can you explain it in plainer English? Sorry, as I noted elsewhere, I am only slightly techy and what you posted is beyond my pay-grade.

"value: "class0_B_side" // cdma: the 12" extended remix?"

LOL, really?
    I thought that was funny as well!
    @blaize searching trying to find it. I am reading up on it in another forum. They are roaming but trying to find out more. Looks like roam only patch will need to be rewritten as well.
    I thought it was funny, too.

what I found was related to Verizon but I imagine since both are CDMA the explanation should be pretty much the same both don't hold me to that.
    As for Automatic A or Automatic B, these ONLY come in to play when you
    roam on to a system where the system you roam on to is NOT in the PRL
    (which is rare these days). Pretty much you should leave it where you
    found it set when you bought the phone. Here in the east, most Verizon
    systems are on the B cellular band. (the 800 MHz cell bands are called
    the A or B bands). Sometimes Verizon is on the A side, and sometimes
    they are in the PCS band. If I recall correctly, the LA area is on the
    B 800 MHz side.
    So here in the great southwest should we be using A or B? Assuming that can be figured out for us Sprint folks, of course.

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Did this little update remove the 'Data Roaming' option as well or am I looking in the wrong place here?
    Everybody wants some!..
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Did this little update remove the 'Data Roaming' option as well or am I looking in the wrong place here?
    You gotta pick either Automatic A or Automatic B, so that your voice will allow roaming; then the data roaming option will reappear.

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    You gotta pick either Automatic A or Automatic B, so that your voice will allow roaming; then the data roaming option will reappear.
    Aaaaahh gotcha.. .
    Now to know which is the ideal option to have it set at.
    (Being in SLC I assume it would be the same as Denver which ever that may be?)
    Everybody wants some!..
    Aaaaahh gotcha.. .
    Now to know which is the ideal option to have it set at.
    (Being in SLC I assume it would be the same as Denver which ever that may be?)
    One would think so. I am eagerly awaiting an answer from Mamouton or someone else who knows about this stuff.

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Curious myself but Sprint coverage in SLC is absolutely superb so I'm not too worried about it. I think I have only roamed once since I got the Pre and that was deep inside a building downtown. (Verizon picked me up)

Stoked that SLC is getting 4G this summer but I'm not totally sold on the, *ahem* one phone that is buzzed about lately.

Please Hpalm, give me a 4g device asap!

(Bah! Gateway timeout again LOL! Yup, still happens like clockwork. 11:20ish Mountain time.)
    Everybody wants some!..
    still looking
    Curious myself but Sprint coverage in SLC is absolutely superb so I'm not too worried about it. I think I have only roamed once since I got the Pre and that was deep inside a building downtown. (Verizon picked me up)

Stoked that SLC is getting 4G this summer but I'm not totally sold on the, *ahem* one phone that is buzzed about lately.

Please Hpalm, give me a 4g device asap!

(Bah! Gateway timeout again LOL! Yup, still happens like clockwork. 11:20ish Mountain time.)
    Sprint coverage in Denver is awesome, as well. I have never roamed on my Pre. Used to have a basement apt. when I had an Instinct, and occasionally roamed down there, but that was the only time.

Yup, I could practically set my clock by the Gateway timeout on P|C. I'm sure there's a reason for it...?

This is what I found so far
    Auto A/B has no effect on network selection unless you are in an area where your phone can't find any system in its PRL (e.g., Grand Canyon, southeastern Kentucky, or Chambers County, AL.) In such an event, the phone will use the Auto A/B setting to determine which 800 MHz band to use. Generally, you should keep your phone on the same side as your home area (if you're in a PCS market, I recommend using "Auto B") unless you get "no service", then you can try switching to see if you can pick up something.

VZW B-side markets: Western US; Minnesota; Iowa; St. Louis; Houston; El Paso; Indiana; Mid-Atlantic states; Northeast except Connecticut; Illinois except Carbondale
    VZW A-side markets: Ohio; Michigan; Connecticut; Carbondale IL; Kansas City; Southeast except Florida, Louisiana, and southern Alabama/Mississippi
    VZW PCS markets: Florida; Wisconsin; southern Alabama/Mississippi; Louisiana; all Texas cities other than Houston/Beaumont and El Paso

"Home only" will restrict you to the VZW network with PRLs for most plans (America's Choice, SR National, FreeUp, various local plans -- with AC, that means NO EXTENDED NETWORK when set to "home only") or your home SID (old regional plans, some local plans, etc.)
    This is all I could find
    Thank you again, Mamouton. I think based on this that B is the correct choice for me and Freshyz, since we are in the Western US and on the Sprint PCS network. Make sense?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast