Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I think I get it...
    I was planning on stopping by my local Sprint store tomor so I'll pick their brains and see what they say.
    I seem to recall that if you have a solid connection that 'Sprint only' setting was ideal for better battery life? Correct me if I'm mistaken or if that even matters.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Once upon a time, the FCC hated a certain telephone monopoly named AT&T. When the original cellular system (analog 800 Mhz) frequencies were auctioned off, they were divided into two halves - the A channels and the B channels. The FCC stipulated that the B channels would only be awarded to the landline (wired) carriers, and that the A channels could only go to a cellular-only entity. Since AT&T was broken up into the Baby Bells by then, the regional Bell companies (predecessors to Verizon) were all on the B channels, whereas the non-wireline carriers like Cellular One were all on the A channels. If I remember correctly, the dividing line wasn't even halves of the frequency band, but rather one company got all of the odd channel numbers, and the other one got all of the even ones.

With all of the different corporate mergers and acquisitions that have happened since not to mention additional frequency bands being allocated, the wireline versus non-wireline distinction has mostly been lost. Historically, your best chances of roaming when you left your home system was by sticking with whatever channels (A or B) your home carrier used, because they most likely had roaming agreements between each other.

Just thought that someone might find the history of this interesting.....
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    just a quick bit of info i used to roam on Us cellular now i roam on Verizon no matter if on auto a or auto b I am on the FAr South side of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I think I get it...
    I was planning on stopping by my local Sprint store tomor so I'll pick their brains and see what they say.
    I seem to recall that if you have a solid connection that 'Sprint only' setting was ideal for better battery life? Correct me if I'm mistaken or if that even matters.. .
    I'm here in SLC to, and my understanding is yes, 'sprint only' is best for battery life because your phone won't be switching from regular to roam and back as it gets a better signal from a non sprint tower. Of course that is just what a sprint tech person told me once like two years ago so I am not sure how much it is worth. You said we are supposed to get 4g here in Salt Lake this summer? any idea on when. I so want to get rid of comcast for my internet!
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    I'm here in SLC to, and my understanding is yes, 'sprint only' is best for battery life because your phone won't be switching from regular to roam and back as it gets a better signal from a non sprint tower. Of course that is just what a sprint tech person told me once like two years ago so I am not sure how much it is worth. You said we are supposed to get 4g here in Salt Lake this summer? any idea on when. I so want to get rid of comcast for my internet!
    I was told by the Evo launch or very soon after. I was told it would stretch from Salt Lake to as far as maybe Layton in the north. Not sure how far to the south. I too, use Sprint only & have had no problems with signal.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I think one important thing to remember is that on "Sprint Only" you will still roam. It just pulls ONLY from the current PRL. If there is no PRL entry, then it reverts back to Auto A or Auto B. For 99.99% of cases, "Sprint Only" will function just fine and roam when/if it needs to. I just tested this, in fact, in the corner of my basement that always kicks over to roam. Set to "Sprint Only, it still roams as it always has.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpaul View Post
    I think one important thing to remember is that on "Sprint Only" you will still roam. It just pulls ONLY from the current PRL. If there is no PRL entry, then it reverts back to Auto A or Auto B. For 99.99% of cases, "Sprint Only" will function just fine and roam when/if it needs to. I just tested this, in fact, in the corner of my basement that always kicks over to roam. Set to "Sprint Only, it still roams as it always has.
    QFT.

The link I posted a few replies up details what changes were made, and how it works. Sprint only will still roam.. this new PRL is a different kind of PRL, and (for me) has fixed a ton of the issues from the last 6 PRL updates. My battery life in a low area has improved by about 5%/hr

From reading the changes/updates listed at Howard Forums Sprint really cleaned this PRL up!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    QFT.

The link I posted a few replies up details what changes were made, and how it works. Sprint only will still roam.. this new PRL is a different kind of PRL, and (for me) has fixed a ton of the issues from the last 6 PRL updates. My battery life in a low area has improved by about 5%/hr

From reading the changes/updates listed at Howard Forums Sprint really cleaned this PRL up!
    fastamx79,

That was a very interesting read from Howard Forums. Thanks for the post.

Just so that I have a complete understanding, if set to "Sprint Only" will it also data roam? On the occasions that I do roam, I would like to still receive my e-mail.

Thanks!
    Per this thread, I have updated my PRL and network settings. Tried "Sprint Only" and "Automatic - B" (for PCS since I'm in Wisconsin), but the random EVDO to 1X to roaming to 1X to EVDO switching on my Sprint Palm Pre still happens. Detailed here -

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-location.html

and in many other threads. The URL above might not work right because PreCentral is inserting it very strangely (adding extra unneeded stuff) into my posting at the moment.

This is insanely annoying, and it has actually caused me to miss phone calls while the switching is occurring! :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by kenford View Post
    fastamx79,

That was a very interesting read from Howard Forums. Thanks for the post.

Just so that I have a complete understanding, if set to "Sprint Only" will it also data roam? On the occasions that I do roam, I would like to still receive my e-mail.

Thanks!
    Now I am not sure what is going on... I forced roam this morning at my home and I had data.. I forced roam at work and I didn't have data. I checked the auto "a" and "b" settings and "a" was disabled and "b" was enabled. I enabled "a" but the settings didn't stick. I was also able to get my phone to drop the signal but it was stuck on scanning.

I used to roam off Alltel at work and I was able to grab that signal.. and if I am reading the SID changes for my network correctly I think it now tries to pick up a VZW signal, and people that have VZW at work have no signal in certain parts of my building (I work in radio and that screws with the signal).

So now I am very confused by this PRL update....

--edit--
    what I mean by 'enable' was turning on data roaming in those auto settings but going back to sprint only.
    well my Pre just updated itself and went back to prl 60664.. My guess is Sprint mesed this one up lol
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    well my Pre just updated itself and went back to prl 60664.. My guess is Sprint mesed this one up lol
    Yup. me too. And now Sprint Only/Automatic options are back to where they were prior.
    where can you find the PRL installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    goto device info then tap more info then scroll to the bottom
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Open Device Info, scroll down and open More Info. Mine is back to 60664 also.
    Yep just check an hour after I updated the PRL to 65000 it is now back to PRL 60664.
    Guess is that this is the upcoming PRL for when the 4G devices arrive to handle this, and it accidentally got pushed out now. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back out the same way in about 2 weeks.
    I concur. My Sprint Pre has rolled back to 60664 as well.
    mines as well was changed back.
    Mine also.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast