Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    your phone? i downloaded uber kernal and got it on 800 mhz and 250 mhz and its alot faster but is there anything else i can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by xenioss View Post
    your phone? i downloaded uber kernal and got it on 800 mhz and 250 mhz and its alot faster but is there anything else i can do?
    To speed up? Well, you can't get any faster than 800MHz right now on the Pre. You can install the fast cards patch but that only makes it appear faster by speeding up or cutting out the animation, it doesn't change the actual speed an app loads or runs.

To keep it fast... Doctor after a WebOS version update and everything gets updated to be compatible with it. When you re-install your apps and patches make sure and leave anything out that has been rendered obsolete by the update or anything that you don't use.
    Outside of the patch... the best things you can do is to:

1) delete your call history regularly as this will cause your phone to lag
    2) restart your phone regularly (daily/bi-daily)
    3) Use JSTop (in Preware) to automatically 'Garbage Collect'

Those are the most basic items everyone should do (IMHO).
    You should install an Animation Speed up (fast cards) patch. It takes a day to get used to but make the thing seem especially speed with the 800mhz patch.

Otherwise I'd say it's getting very close to as fast as it needs to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Outside of the patch... the best things you can do is to:

1) delete your call history regularly as this will cause your phone to lag
    2) restart your phone regularly (daily/bi-daily)
    3) Use JSTop (in Preware) to automatically 'Garbage Collect'

Those are the most basic items everyone should do (IMHO).
    +1
    The daily restart has worked wonders for me. The are a few apps to choose from that will set up automatic restarts for you. I use Jason Robitaille's "Preset Reset" (Available in Preware). Every night at 0300 I get a freshly rested pre.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Newbie (3 days old) question - what's a restart? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    Welcome to the Forums Daisy's Mom! Congrats on choosing an awesome phone!

To answer your question: Meaning to Restart your phone fully by either pressing and holding the Power button until you get the menu where you can choose "restart", or by using an application like Reboot Scheduler (available in Preware) to have your device scheduled to restart automatically at a certain time (like 3am).
    Don't worry about being a noob. Everyone was at one time. I would suggest going to the Palm Pre forum front page and read through some of the stickies. It will really help you understand things, and if you have more specific questions, search for the thread. If you seriously can't find it, start your own thread. Or even PM someone you think might be able to help. Welcome to the wild world of the Palm Pre. You're going to like it here.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Thanks! (and love your reference to Buckaroo Bonzai - one of my favorite movies)
    Thanks! (and love your reference to Buckaroo Bonzai - one of my favorite movies)
    No Problem!... Yes, Mr. Bonzai was one of the worlds great philosophers and philanthropists.
    I installed the universal search command line patch. I use .gc for garbage collecting which seems to improve the phone's performance when it's acting "funny". I also love the patch because it makes doing things on the phone quicker. For example, I often use .qmemo which writes a quick memo without opening the app. If I'm at the store and I see something interesting i use .amazon to compare prices without having to open the browser navigate to amazon and then do a search for the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Don't worry about being a noob. Everyone was at one time. I would suggest going to the Palm Pre forum front page and read through some of the stickies. It will really help you understand things, and if you have more specific questions, search for the thread. If you seriously can't find it, start your own thread. Or even PM someone you think might be able to help. Welcome to the wild world of the Palm Pre. You're going to like it here.
    Yea, I was definitely a noob a while ago. My first post was asking how to turn on 'Data Roaming' lol...

Here are some good links for beginners:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-tricks.html

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...es-themes.html
    Anyone have any other ideas on how to more efficiently use your phone? For me speed isn't just about how fast my processor is burning, but how quickly I can accomplish things. I love Universal Search and, as previously stated, Universal Search Command Line. Mode Switcher has also been great. Any other efficiencies to be had?
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    The patches that add features to the menu bar (brightness, flashlight) are two that I can't live without.

I also use the "delete email from notification" patch constantly-- I've got a forward of work email to the phone, so I don't need to read a lot of stuff that shows up. Likewise, the "delete all emails" patch allows me to clear out a bunch of stuff at the end of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    I also use the "delete email from notification" patch constantly-- I've got a forward of work email to the phone, so I don't need to read a lot of stuff that shows up.
    Had no clue that even existed... Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Anyone have any other ideas on how to more efficiently use your phone? For me speed isn't just about how fast my processor is burning, but how quickly I can accomplish things. I love Universal Search and, as previously stated, Universal Search Command Line. Mode Switcher has also been great. Any other efficiencies to be had?
    There is on preware that allows the phone to restart at a specific time. It has options to open applications on restart. You could use that and have everything open you want for you ready to go int he morning.

I can't remember the name off the top of my head.