Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Hi all,

When your Pre is open, if you tap on the gesture area, does it wiggle, as in the bottom part of the LCD slice sinks a bit into the keyboard area? Mine does that that it's rather annoying.
    mine doesn't do that. The build quality on mineseems good, only complaint is when sliding open, if I don't do it right the slider gets stuck. I think i'm gonna take this one back and get another because of this.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Hi all,

When your Pre is open, if you tap on the gesture area, does it wiggle, as in the bottom part of the LCD slice sinks a bit into the keyboard area? Mine does that that it's rather annoying.
    If you're not happy with it take it back and get it replaced.

I have a little wiggle but nothing noticeable unless I deliberately do it.
    no problems with mine
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    The problem is, this is the 3rd one! The build quality is really crapshoot. Our stores in the area are running out of Pre's. It seems that most store had 1 or 2 in stock. So I'm going to have to wait until their next shipment. Ugh!
    The problem is, this is the 3rd one! The build quality is really crapshoot. Our stores in the area are running out of Pre's. It seems that most store had 1 or 2 in stock. So I'm going to have to wait until their next shipment. Ugh!
    But then my question is... if that was the second time you went for a replacement, why didn't you check it first? They didn't let you inspect it?

I'm on my 3rd one as well, since I had trouble on the first 2, I inspected the third one like a coroner with a corpse. This new one I have now works like a champ. I even took my netbook into the Bell store and doctored it in front of them since all their units were 1.1 and corrupted my 1.4.0 profile back then.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    First one - overheating
    Second one - edges don't line up, sharp protruding edges.
    Third one - wiggles at the gesture area as I described in my first post.

I didn't think that wiggle problem exist until I got home. Trust me. I went to a different store earlier and the going-to-be exchange unit was not to my satisfactory. So I told them I will wait for the next shipment in two weeks. Their equipment shipment came in today and there was no Pre. So it will be next week before anything happens. You bet I will inspect the final exchange thoroughly! I now know what I am looking for.

Toni, what was the problem with your first and second?
    1 - Battery depleted and won't charge anymore, only heats up and mild oreo
    2 - Dead earpiece
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

The only issues i have are the space bar doesnt feel like a button. Just feels like a nub i rub my thumb against and it enters a space. And i have those protruding edges you werent talking about but it doesnt bother me enough to take it back
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    The left side of my Pre+ isn't exactly flush but it doesn't bother me.

But something else did - the battery door. I noticed at times when I was holding it (keyboard closed) that there was some creaking sound (on the left side when the phone is facing you). It felt like the door wasn't tight so when I gave it some pressure when holding it, it would creak slightly enough to notice and also annoy me. Fixed it myself so now the phone feels solid and no more creaking. The right side of the phone is flush and tight. No complaints here.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybananas View Post

But something else did - the battery door. I noticed at times when I was holding it (keyboard closed) that there was some creaking sound (on the left side when the phone is facing you). It felt like the door wasn't tight so when I gave it some pressure when holding it, it would creak slightly enough to notice and also annoy me. Fixed it myself so now the phone feels solid and no more creaking. The right side of the phone is flush and tight. No complaints here.
    It does that when it's not correctly snapped in place. Slide your finger around the edges and hear it click.

If problem persists, you might have a bent cover. Replace the cover or put a piece of paper under it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It does that when it's not correctly snapped in place. Slide your finger around the edges and hear it click.

If problem persists, you might have a bent cover. Replace the cover or put a piece of paper under it.
    Yeah, that's what I would figure and I've squeezed and/or put pressure on it plenty of times.

This was my solution: I took the cover off. I cut a small piece of scotch tape and taped it to the side of the phone itself (not the cover), and of course cut out parts where the clips would snap in. I applied 2 layers of scotch tape and it's tight now.

I thought about replacing the battery cover, maybe even the phone in hopes of getting a better one but this was the only nuisance, and considering that the problem area is not somewhere that gets a lot of abuse, I did fixed it myself. Getting a brand new phone might've bought more problems so screw it.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei VI View Post
    The only issues i have are the space bar doesnt feel like a button. Just feels like a nub i rub my thumb against and it enters a space. And i have those protruding edges you werent talking about but it doesnt bother me enough to take it back
    I noticed that too. I tried out a few Pre Plus' and their spacebar are all like that. Go figure!
    When your Pre is open, if you tap on the gesture area, does it wiggle, as in the bottom part of the LCD slice sinks a bit into the keyboard area?
    My Sprint Pre does *not* do this. FWIW.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybananas View Post

The left side not lining up bothers me a bit. I've noticed on different unit how rounded the edges are on different units.
    what do you guys say? i always figured even if i was in my 14 days, if i go and say "hey, my edges are a bit sharp, i want a new one" they would look at me like im crazy and just say live with it because it doesnt effect the phone in any way.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodlover77 View Post
    what do you guys say? i always figured even if i was in my 14 days, if i go and say "hey, my edges are a bit sharp, i want a new one" they would look at me like im crazy and just say live with it because it doesnt effect the phone in any way.
    Unfortunately, all the ones I have felt (about 5 of them), all of them are sharp. I don't think you're not going to find one that is not sharp.
    My ATT Pre is wonderful. My build quality so far is very good. I got 3 other touchstones one by bed, on in office, and one for car and one for work. I don't think I've ever had a nicer phone (I've had a lot).
    It's head and shoulders above any other I've owned.
    Everything about it is so elegant. The GUI, the gestures, the gesture area. Whoever/whatever team came up with this phone must be geniuses.
    I think the only two phones that I can say even come close are my N958G (back in the day) and the N900 (sent it back couldn't live w/o 3G). My first iPhone was kinda nice but since I had a touch it was like, hey, they added a phone to the iPod touch.
    The only drawback is no Skype and pay-for navi. Oh yeah, the LCD on all night drives me crazy. I'm thinking I'll charge before bed and just let it sit overnight, that way I can at least control the time the LCD is "BURNIN!". haha.
    Exchange your Pre. I had the same problem. The demo units did the same thing but when they replaced my pre it doesn't do it! Feels more solid. Mine did exactly the same thing you were describing with the gesture area moving when touched.
    Grrr, I have found a dead pixel. Thought it was trash under the factory screen shield. Took a magnifying glass and could clearly see the pixel stuck on (kind of reddish) dot on my screen. I'm gonna just live with it. It's microscopic anyway, and so far everything else about the phone is rock solid-knocks on wood. I just don't have the energy to take it down there, I've got 28 more days to make up my mind anyway according to the ATT guy.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast