Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I was just wondering about overclocking the pre..

I've seen some things about overclocking the processor to 720 or 800 mhz. Is this possible on the att pre software?
    Quote Originally Posted by C1rclez View Post

I've seen some things about overclocking the processor to 720 or 800 mhz. Is this possible on the att pre software?
    there is a work-around to make it work right now. but i'm waiting until there is the 1.4.2 patch. since the at&t pre came w/ the newest version, the overclock guys don't have the right files and such yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by C1rclez View Post

I've read all the threads about Uber kernel, and govnah, and even hesitated a bit before moving forward with overclocking my AT&T Pre Plus running WebOS 1.4.2 because the overclock kernel versions have not been modified for 1.4.2 yet. After hesitating long enough to down a shot of Tequila, I put the 1.4.2 AT&T doctor into my WebOS Quick Install directory, and proceeded to overclock my Pre using the standalone 800 MHz IPK kernel installer for 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 I had stashed on my PC hdd. Then put the battery temp patches on using WebOS Quick Install and am pleased to say my AT&T Pre plus with WebOS 1.4.2 is running like a top at 800 MHZ with NO cpu scaling or Govnah to throttle it down while its sleeping. Heck, if I can fall asleep after downing three cups of Starbucks Expresso, then my Pre Plus might as well rest while it's CPU hums along at 800 MHz.

So far, no harm, no foul. No freeze ups, no hiccups, no temp warning notifications, no problemo what-so-ever! It's been 48 hours and i've been working my Pre much harder than I'd work the french hoe outside cleaning up the yard!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I've read all the threads about Uber kernel, and govnah, and even hesitated a bit before moving forward with overclocking my AT&T Pre Plus running WebOS 1.4.2 because the overclock kernel versions have not been modified for 1.4.2 yet. After hesitating long enough to down a shot of Tequila, I put the 1.4.2 AT&T doctor into my WebOS Quick Install directory, and proceeded to overclock my Pre using the standalone 800 MHz IPK kernel installer for 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 I had stashed on my PC hdd. Then put the battery temp patches on using WebOS Quick Install and am pleased to say my AT&T Pre plus with WebOS 1.4.2 is running like a top at 800 MHZ with NO cpu scaling or Govnah to throttle it down while its sleeping. Heck, if I can fall asleep after downing three cups of Starbucks Expresso, then my Pre Plus might as well rest while it's CPU hums along at 800 MHz.

So far, no harm, no foul. No freeze ups, no hiccups, no temp warning notifications, no problemo what-so-ever! It's been 48 hours and i've been working my Pre much harder than I'd work the french hoe outside cleaning up the yard!
    Cool.

Would you mind posting some instructions? Sounds like it's working nice.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Yeah that would be cool. I've only been a pre owner a few days now. I do wanna squeeze some more performance out of it.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybananas View Post
    Cool.

+2
    I'm interested also.

Do you notice a big difference?
    Just call me Berd.
    I finally removed that old 800MhZ patch for 1.4 from my Sprint Pre last night. I gotten impatient wating for the new kernel after I updated to 1.4.1.1 and put the old patch back on. Uberkernel and Govnah seem to be even faster. The old patch requires manual installation and removal. I didn't even remember how to take it off, but I found the uninstall command in the forums. Even if you find the file you still need installation instructions. If you can wait, the versions from PreWare are easier and safer. But I understand. After seeing stock again last night, I never want to go back.
    question, are you seeing any issues with the keyboard skipping or duplicating letters now that you have overclocked? There was some indication that the two were related wrt verizon phones, and they were cleared up in the 1.4.1.1 kernel.

I'm not saying this will happen with at&t phones. Please just take notice if you see anything like that, and post it back here.
    im interested but i can wait.

dont mind knowing where to find the old files and instructions just in case i cant wait any longer
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooliosam View Post
    there is a work-around to make it work right now. but i'm waiting until there is the 1.4.2 patch. since the at&t pre came w/ the newest version, the overclock guys don't have the right files and such yet.

Ya I too am waiting for the overclock guys to update there software, should not be to long now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    question, are you seeing any issues with the keyboard skipping or duplicating letters now that you have overclocked? There was some indication that the two were related wrt verizon phones, and they were cleared up in the 1.4.1.1 kernel.

I'm not saying this will happen with at&t phones. Please just take notice if you see anything like that, and post it back here.
    No keyboard issues or anything I can tell so far. Interesting thing is that I downloaded the 800MHz patch but Govnah is showing 600MHz.
    ATTer's I'm sure it won't be long before the UberKernal is updated for 1.4.2, in the meantime there are plenty of things to learn about webOS and the Palm Pre. In these forums there is a wealth of information and things to do. Just be patient and enjoy your phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

No issues .Working flawlessly
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybananas View Post
    Cool.

Did nothing special. Followed the nextgen instructions each time.
    @TopTongueBarry:

do you mind sharing the link for the instruction to install the kernel/patch?

I tried Uber-Kernel for 1.4.1.1 with Govnah but it didn't work. I can only see 600Mhz which means the kernel was not installed correctly.

I just got my AT&T Pre this Tuesday and I really like WebOS. Was using a BB Bold before it and the only disadvantage for Pre plus is that on my old BB, everything is instantaneous after one click. And on Pre plus, you need to let it 'breath' for a couple seconds(GMap even takes ~20 secs) and that is kind of annoying to me. would love to try the OC and see if it does make everything snappier, thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    ATTer's I'm sure it won't be long before the UberKernal is updated for 1.4.2, in the meantime there are plenty of things to learn about webOS and the Palm Pre. In these forums there is a wealth of information and things to do. Just be patient and enjoy your phone.
    Yeah, just gonna enjoy the phone and wait for an updated uberkernel instead of rushing it with a workaround.
    AT&T Palm Pre Plus overclocking (UberKernel & Govnah) is now available in Preware.

We noticed that Palm had released the kernel source code, and released the 1.4.2 version of UberKernel 2.5 hours later.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    On a scale of one to risky, how much chance is their in briking my phone or something going wrong?
    Overclocking will reduce the lifetime of your phone, and is considered by Palm to void your warranty (it is the only homebrew/patching activity that they have singled out as voiding your warranty).

You should read all the threads on the subject, and make your own decision.

If your phone breaking would be a life-threatening or career-threatening or wallet-threatening situation for you, then you should consider your personal decision (and personal responsibility for your own decision) very carefully.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast