Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was thinking about overclocking my Pre but I was wondering what kind of issues may come with it...

Has anyone here overclocked and had regrets?

Heat

Battery life

glitches
    If you choke a smurf what color would it turn?

SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    There have been some people that reported some issues with battery life and such. Not very much though. Most people seem to have no negative effects. I've been running it and the only thing that I've noticed is that my phone is faster and much more responsive...
    more heat
    less battery life
    seldom glitches

please search, this has been covered
    Quote Originally Posted by roncgizmo View Post
    I was thinking about overclocking my Pre but I was wondering what kind of issues may come with it...

Has anyone here overclocked and had regrets?

Heat

Battery life

glitches
    Go HERE and read till your eyes hurt.

I have been OC'd for a long time. No significant issues and great performance.

Also, the Pre has lot's of little quirks and of course user errors, make sure you aren't too quick to blame the patches and homebrew solutions. The developers generally go out of their way to make sure they are safe for you to use before they release them.

Also, don't attempt a patch or process you don't understand. People will have little patience helping you if you can't adequately explain what you have done and what you are experiencing.

Good luck and happy patching.
    Any working kernels for AT&T Pre??
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the info ltlruss.

I did search and read a lot of threads here about overclocking.. That's why I started this thread in the first place. If I wanted answers like "more heat, less battery life" I would not asked. I'm looking for details I couldn't find.

SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Go HERE and read till your eyes hurt.

I have been OC'd for a long time. No significant issues and great performance.

Also, the Pre has lot's of little quirks and of course user errors, make sure you aren't too quick to blame the patches and homebrew solutions. The developers generally go out of their way to make sure they are safe for you to use before they release them.

Also, don't attempt a patch or process you don't understand. People will have little patience helping you if you can't adequately explain what you have done and what you are experiencing.

Good luck and happy patching.
    Thanks that link don't work.. is it the one with like 23~24 pages about the UK 500 to 800? I was just reading it and it left me a little confused..

Never mind. Thanks for fixing it.. It was the one I read... Great thread but it did get me thinking about drawbacks.
    Last edited by roncgizmo; 05/19/2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: link was fixed

Thanks that link don't work.. is it the one with like 23~24 pages about the UK 500 to 800? I was just reading it and it left me a little confused..
    Hmmm that is odd... I just clicked it and it worked fine. Opened a new page right to that thread. But... yes that is the one. And if it the first post by RWhitby left you confused, you probably shouldn't OC.
  9.    #9  
    Hmmm that is odd... I just clicked it and it worked fine. Opened a new page right to that thread. But... yes that is the one. And if it the first post by RWhitby left you confused, you probably shouldn't OC.
    The first time I clicked on it, it took me to Yahoo,,

By confused it was mostly about the questions I had. Battery life and heat was on top of my list. I do have a touchstone and I feel like I'm always charging the pre compared to my last smart phone.

By confused it was mostly about the questions I had. Battery life and heat was on top of my list. I do have a touchstone and I feel like I'm always charging the pre compared to my last smart phone.
    The Pre is definitely a battery hog if you use it for all the things it does so well.

If I am just working around the house and fielding a phone call, occassional text, check my comic feeds, see what is on woot.com and a trip or two to Preware to see if there is anything new, my battery will last all day and then some.

But if I run any 3-D game, download very much, watch any vids on youtube, surf the web, or use nav or google maps, you can be sure I will be tossing it on one of my three touchstones (on my desk, in my car and by my bed).

Heat is easily dealt with and is present on the pre whether it is OC'd or not. Simply open the slider when the pre is on the charger or TS. It allows for better heat dissapation. Also, any amount of air flow over the Pre will help, even if it is simply room temperature air. The TS in my car is mounted on a vent mount where the air blows on it. It never gets above 30 C.

Until the Govnah app came out, I would tell you that it's dangerous to overclock. You don't want the CPU to be constantly pushing 800 Mhz (60% overclock over stock speed). If the phone is being heavily used, that can result in a lot of heat. I use the screenstate overclock in Govnah, which gives me 800 Mhz when the screen is on and 500 or less with the screen off. And I always turn off the overclock when I'm heavily using the phone.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    The Pre is definitely a battery hog if you use it for all the things it does so well.

If I am just working around the house and fielding a phone call, occassional text, check my comic feeds, see what is on woot.com and a trip or two to Preware to see if there is anything new, my battery will last all day and then some.

But if I run any 3-D game, download very much, watch any vids on youtube, surf the web, or use nav or google maps, you can be sure I will be tossing it on one of my three touchstones (on my desk, in my car and by my bed).

Heat is easily dealt with and is present on the pre whether it is OC'd or not. Simply open the slider when the pre is on the charger or TS. It allows for better heat dissapation. Also, any amount of air flow over the Pre will help, even if it is simply room temperature air. The TS in my car is mounted on a vent mount where the air blows on it. It never gets above 30 C.

What pastorrich said...

It is a battey hog. If you're going to do any more than minimal usage for any period of time, have a charger handy. While I'm at work for up to 10 hours, I don't really use my phone much unless I bring a charger with me. If I spend much time on it, surfing, playing games ( during lunch of course ), or anything like that, I'll end up around 20% or so battery left by the time I get home.

As far as heat, even without O/C, the phone can heat up a lot during heavy usage. You'll want to keep an eye on that whether or not you decide to O/C. I'd say give it a shot and I'm sure you'll enjoy it...
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Until the Govnah app came out, I would tell you that it's dangerous to overclock. You don't want the CPU to be constantly pushing 800 Mhz (60% overclock over stock speed). If the phone is being heavily used, that can result in a lot of heat. I use the screenstate overclock in Govnah, which gives me 800 Mhz when the screen is on and 500 or less with the screen off. And I always turn off the overclock when I'm heavily using the phone.
    I disagree... I have been running OC'd since the first .sh kernel mod. I have tried all types of settings and the one I have the least issue with is performance with 800MHz Min and Max.

Scaling the CPU at any setting caused my Pre to run the hottest.

I keep my phone on the TS all night and when I get up in the morning I restart, and select my Static 800 profile in Govnah.

I don't have any problems at all.
    +1 performance govnah 800 min and max. Awesome battery life and no heating problems.. I think its easier on the cpu to not cycle all the time
  15.    #15  
    Thanks guys That was the kind of information I was looking for... Wish me luck. I'm about to start my journey to the dark side )

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Good luck You won't need it though... it's easy to do and the results are great. Enjoy your new phone
    I disagree... I have been running OC'd since the first .sh kernel mod. I have tried all types of settings and the one I have the least issue with is performance with 800MHz Min and Max.

Scaling the CPU at any setting caused my Pre to run the hottest.

I keep my phone on the TS all night and when I get up in the morning I restart, and select my Static 800 profile in Govnah.

I don't have any problems at all.
    I did and do exactly the same things (including Alpha Testing the original .sh files). The only time I have serious heat issues is when I'm streaming while on the TS and even then it's never gone above 48C. The leaving the slider open while on TS thing is what saves me time and again.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  18.    #18  
    Thanks again everyone Now, how bout some settings? has anyone one they stick with? right now I'm on performance but I think it's going to drain more resources then I would like...

800 across the board works best on my phone, both for battery life and heat issues. YMMV.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I did and do exactly the same things (including Alpha Testing the original .sh files). The only time I have serious heat issues is when I'm streaming while on the TS and even then it's never gone above 48C. The leaving the slider open while on TS thing is what saves me time and again.
    My (overclocked) Pre overheated when I left it in the car. All it did was shut itself down. I waited for it to cool and it started back up fine. I don't think overheating is a thing we really have to worry about it. The extra heat might shorten the phone's life somewhat (might only last 4 years instead of 8), but who really keeps a phone more than 3-4 years anyways (I'll probably upgrade as soon as I can in less than a year)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast