1.    #1  
    I bought a $0.99 app tonight, entered my password, tapped "Purchase", downloaded the application, worked with the application for a while, left a review, and worked with it a little while longer.

I check my eMail and see my receipt from Palm for the purchase. I opened it up and instead of the usual receipt, it says:

Transaction Failure Notice

Your previous transaction could not be processed. Please contact your financial institution should you have any questions.

You will still be able to purchase more applications in the Palm App Catalog in the future. To do so, update the payment information in your account before placing a new order.

We appreciate your patience and hope you continue to enjoy using the Palm App Catalog.

Best regards,
    Palm App Catalog Team
    It let me purchase/download the application, and all values are correct in the application catalog for my account (used it a few weeks ago). There's nothing wrong w/ the card, in fact I paid rent with it a few hours ealier with no problems.

Has anyone else seen this? Will the developer still get paid? Will Palm "try again" to charge my card?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    You said you had just paid your rent recently with it? Does the card have a limit per time period feature or anything? I would ask your financial institution if they can "see" the transaction and tell you what went wrong and they might be able to tell you if it will be attempted again.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  3.    #3  
    No, no limit on the card. Nothing in the pending transactions for it either. Very weird. Guess I'll wait a day or two and see if anything comes across. The transaction fee the merchant pays is more than this transaction! LOL

Surprised to see I'm the only one that has gotten that response before. Odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    No, no limit on the card. Nothing in the pending transactions for it either. Very weird. Guess I'll wait a day or two and see if anything comes across. The transaction fee the merchant pays is more than this transaction! LOL

Surprised to see I'm the only one that has gotten that response before. Odd.
    You said your numbers were all correct in the account profile setting.

Does your name, billing address and other info all match what your financial institution has on file and on the card? Is the check box for Visa/MC correct? Is the country correct?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    You said your numbers were all correct in the account profile setting.

Does your name, billing address and other info all match what your financial institution has on file and on the card? Is the check box for Visa/MC correct? Is the country correct?
    Yup. Sure does. Nothing has changed. I'm thinking it was an error on the backend. Lately syncing data between Quicken and Citicards, I've gotten error messages a LOT more frequently regarding their site being "unavailable". Although I doubt they would let any systems accepting transactions be in a down state, any time something was wrong with my card before, the app catalog wouldn't complete the purchase.

I feel "guilty" almost, since I'm thinking the dev won't get paid for the purchase. I love the game, so that just heightens the guilt. LOL
  6.    #6  
    Just checked my card again. My payment went through last night, but no $1.08 charge for the application yet. Card is at $0 balance. My payment and purchase must have collided! Dirty chunks of financial bits strewn asunder!!
    Just checked my card again. My payment went through last night, but no $1.08 charge for the application yet. Card is at $0 balance. My payment and purchase must have collided! Dirty chunks of financial bits strewn asunder!!
    Yep, having a $0 balance will definitely cause a payment failure. Assuming of course it is a debit card.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yep, having a $0 balance will definitely cause a payment failure. Assuming of course it is a debit card.
    LOL! I see your point! In this case, credit card.
    Does your card issuer have a MINIMUM charge? Did they reject a $1.08 charge as too low?

Just grasping at straws here.
  10.    #10  
    hehe. Nope. I've purchased a $0.99 app with this card before. Quite the mystery!
    I had this same problem. I bought the transformers app yesterday for .99, and I checked the confirmation email and it said the same thing. I went through all the steps, including deleting my card and re-entering the information, and when I hit submit, it says "cannot add card, please contact your financial institution." A problem with the app store perhaps?
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
  12.    #12  
    Ah. Good to know I'm not the only one. My hunch is that it's a backend merchant exchange issue. One of those intermittent buggers you'll never track down... We'll see if it happens on the next app I buy.
    I see this a lot with international processing accounts (I set companies up for payment processing for a living) and it is most likely because of limiting function in the card processor's 'back-end' and not because of a 0 balance.

Depending upon what bank your card is through, until the new law goes into effect this year, debit cards can go negative on balances and your bank will simply charge you an overdraft. If you received the error, you either ran into a transaction limit set by your bank (99% of banks have them without customers realizing). Once transaction is in process over a certain limit, the bank will place a lock on the card until that transaction settles fully - mostly happens when on-line purchases are involved because of risk. I wouldn't doubt that your card will have no issues by tomorrow morning at the latest.

It cannot be caused by Citi's website being 'down' at all as the website interface is a completely different entity than transaction processing. The actual processing happens through a back-end gateway into the card company and back to your bank. This link doesn't go down as there are backups for the approval process. It's pretty detailed... suffice to say the errors have happened to others trying to purchase through Palm with Palm having to change something on their end. Just a glitch right now
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/19/2010 at 05:00 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Good info Newman, thanks. Do you think the Dev will get paid?
    Good info Newman, thanks. Do you think the Dev will get paid?
    You'll need to check your statement. If a payment did go through everyone gets paid. If it didn't go through, then no-one gets paid.