Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1.    #1  
    I was meeting with a colleague who also has a Pre late this afternoon. We have had many discussions about the Pre and patches/homebrew. He doesn't feel comfortable with patches/homebrew so I am always showing off what they can do and have offered to do all the work for him, but he still hasn't bitten.

    That isn't the unbelievable part, this is: We decided to go a restaurant for dinner, I said I would call and make reservations. I opened my Pre and starting typing the restaurant name in (using universal search) hit the contact in the list and made the reservation. As soon as I hung up, he said "What in the heck did you just do, is that one of your patch things?"

    He meant universal search. OMG, he has had a Pre for over 6 months and had no idea about universal search!!! How many others are out there that have Pres that have NO IDEA of the power of the device (even without patching/homebrew).

    I am now making it my mission to make sure every Pre owner I see knows the power of the device. Who's with me?
  2. #2  
    Werd... some people are cluless and need a punch in the head.
  3. #3  
    You should have said "Yes. Its a patch. Here give me your phone and i'll show you how easy it is to install patches."

    Then, just push a bunch of keys and in 5 seconds, show hime US on HIS phone.

    When he is amazed at how cool and how easy "patching" is, then tell him you will do a setup on his phone, but you will need to take it home. Take it and put preware on it for him.
  4. #4  
    What did he move to the Pre from? A rotary?

    "Smartphone" is a term that is just as dependent on the operator as the device.
  5. #5  
    It cannot be understated how powerful and user friendly it is to have Google, Yahoo, Bing, Wiki and Google Maps at the press of one key after typing in your search item.

    Universal Search kicks major ***.
  6. #6  
    Universal search is one of the things on the pre I take for granted. I just type it in and hit google or maps without thinking about it. I can't imagine a phone without it now.
  7. #7  
    Yeah, it's great, even compared to Android. I tried to use the universal search on 2.1, but it was so disjointed. It's all one bigass list instead of broken up like on the Pre.

    Speaking of restaurants, my favorite part of the YP mobile app is that it will create a contact entry for places. Sooo convenient! I wish Sprint nav would do this...
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I was meeting with a colleague who also has a Pre late this afternoon. We have had many discussions about the Pre and patches/homebrew. He doesn't feel comfortable with patches/homebrew so I am always showing off what they can do and have offered to do all the work for him, but he still hasn't bitten.

    That isn't the unbelievable part, this is: We decided to go a restaurant for dinner, I said I would call and make reservations. I opened my Pre and starting typing the restaurant name in (using universal search) hit the contact in the list and made the reservation. As soon as I hung up, he said "What in the heck did you just do, is that one of your patch things?"

    He meant universal search. OMG, he has had a Pre for over 6 months and had no idea about universal search!!! How many others are out there that have Pres that have NO IDEA of the power of the device (even without patching/homebrew).

    I am now making it my mission to make sure every Pre owner I see knows the power of the device. Who's with me?
    It's not just Pre. When I had an Instinct, it had a "Live Search" feature, where you hit a button, then say what you wanted. It would find it for you, call up the map, and give you a phone number and Navigator, too. I knew a lot of people who had an instinct, but I was the only one who ever used that. Most of them never even used the Navigator. They just make phone calls and send texts, and that's all they have the ability to figure out.

    But if it is pretty and has good PRPRPR, $they$ $want$ $it$.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    It's not just Pre. When I had an Instinct, it had a "Live Search" feature, where you hit a button, then say what you wanted. It would find it for you, call up the map, and give you a phone number and Navigator, too. I knew a lot of people who had an instinct, but I was the only one who ever used that. Most of them never even used the Navigator. They just make phone calls and send texts, and that's all they have the ability to figure out.

    But if it is pretty and has good PRPRPR, $they$ $want$ $it$.
    When my wife had an Instinct, I showed her that, and she loved it. Used it all the time. She probably would *never* have found it on her own though. Some people just have to be pointed in the right direction.

    To the OP - that is pretty unbelievable. I mean, that's only one of the primary and easiest to use features of webOS.
  10. #10  
    Theres lots of people that dont know about universal search. A few have come in here complaining about having to scroll through all the contacts because they dont know all you have to do is start typing a name.
  11. #11  
    The sad part is I know about universal search, but I never remember to use it.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by funktron2x View Post
    It cannot be understated how powerful and user friendly it is .......
    *OVERstated.
  13. #13  
    Amazing.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  14. #14  
    I wouldn't blame him. Blame Palm and the carriers. This important feature was never front row centre for people to see in any ad. They only cared that the Pre is for moms.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15. #15  
    The only reason I agree with you to blame carriers also agrees with the Smartphone is as smart as the one who uses it.

    Any carrier should give "lessons" when a phone is purchased, meaning the Customer Service Rep should go over the basics. I am lucky to have one store close to me who did this for my son's Hero. I have no idea of how it works, don't want to know Android, and don't know how much he would figure it out. Now I will also say the sales people are actually very good there and also love Andoid, doubt they do this for Palm (sad face) since they bashed my phone.

    But point is, this should be mandatory to ensure the best customer satisfaction regardless of what platform is purchased. This is one of the reasons I feel Sprint went from free money back within 30 days to $35. Customers would get phones, didn't know how to use, then return. So it would help retention rate and all kids of things if this happened, including pointing them to forums to continue to learn uses.
  16. bobwill's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #16  
    Besides doing the Universal Search and having to type in the location there is a phone number supported by Google that all you have to do is tell it what city or location, type of business, restaurant, motel, etc, or specific type, fish, oriental, pizza, etc and it will give you the choices and then will place the call.

    800-466-4411

    This is good for any where in the United States.
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  17. LNWJ's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    #17  
    It sounds silly, but Palm should implement a "tutorial" program that runs on a new Pre. Kind of like the gesture walk through in the activation. IE: 1st time on the home screen it says something about Universal Search the 1st time you are there.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    It sounds silly, but Palm should implement a "tutorial" program that runs on a new Pre. Kind of like the gesture walk through in the activation. IE: 1st time on the home screen it says something about Universal Search the 1st time you are there.
    I agree -- it should be an app that sits on every page of your launcher. It should "bug" you to use it until you've used every feature then it can automagically disappear.

    Things like: Universal Search, gestures, moving icons from page to page, moving icons to and from the launcher bar, accessing the app catalog, running the update app, dialing from contacts, dialing from recently called list, accessing some GPS function, updating your PRL (for sprint), taking a picture, taking a video, etc.

    What other features should be there?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

    I am now making it my mission to make sure every Pre owner I see knows the power of the device. Who's with me?
    Would you please go visit my sister? She has a Pre and won't listen to me!!
  20. #20  
    Copy/paste
    Moving cursor...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions