Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Werd... some people are cluless and need a punch in the head.
    Would you also please go visit my sister? I say this because I'm her little brother and she won't listen to me!!! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    Would you please go visit my sister? She has a Pre and won't listen to me!!
    You must be my Brother-In-Law. That sounds like my wife!

ha ha
    ...the pre's awesomeness grabs me daily....
    Agree with everyone how awesome webOS's universal search works. Works great when you are in Mail app, choose All Inboxes & you can search for a specific email via keywords. By the way, Yelp also allows you to save restaurant info as a contact too.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yeah, it's great, even compared to Android. I tried to use the universal search on 2.1, but it was so disjointed. It's all one bigass list instead of broken up like on the Pre.

Speaking of restaurants, my favorite part of the YP mobile app is that it will create a contact entry for places. Sooo convenient! I wish Sprint nav would do this...
    A better user interface would have made this capability more obvious to the casual user.
    Oh my goodness! I can totally relate with you guys! My husband also has a Pre frequently comments on my patches and tweaks. I've offered countless times to install Preware on his phone so he can customize it, but he also doesn't trust the homebrew stuff. (Unfortunately, I went through 2 Pres before I settled on my current one because of hardware issues, so he's related the problems to my patches.) :/

Anyway like the other posters, he just doesn't know much about the phone, and doesn't bother to learn.

Another friend of ours also has a Pre (and lurks on this site!), however, he won't take the plunge and allow me to install Preware on his phone either. I just don't get it!
    I can totally sympathize with the non-homebrew crowd. It took me 2 weeks after getting my Pre last July to root it to do the patches and tweaks, but it still took me another 3 months before I really learned how Synergy and Universal Search worked. As soon as I figured those out I those ended up being my lead off whenever I've demonstrated my phone to anyone else.

As far as the Preware skeptics, this "open" concept is quite foreign to non-technical people. "Hacking" a phone usually voids the warranty in the past, but with WebOS it seems to be encouraged (or at least not discouraged). Lock-in is pretty much the way of everything out there, which is what people are used to. Look at the iPhone, they want to provide you with a locked product and are actively trying to block users from their services that don't play by their rules.
    You bring up a good point, but both people I was talking about are even techier than I am. In fact, my husband is an application developer.

He likes the Pre, but is pretty apathetic towards it and mainly uses it for texting. He won't even connect his phone with his Gmail account since he doesn't like how the Pre inputs all of your contacts.

So much Pre-power....going to waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    You bring up a good point, but both people I was talking about are even techier than I am. In fact, my husband is an application developer.

He likes the Pre, but is pretty apathetic towards it and mainly uses it for texting. He won't even connect his phone with his Gmail account since he doesn't like how the Pre inputs all of your contacts.

So much Pre-power....going to waste.
    After you connect your email account to Gmail, you can go to the contacts apps and remove your Google account. You still get your email, but your contacts don't sync over.

If the issue is that the Pre syncs too many, the Pre only syncs those listen in My Contacts, not All Contacts. So if there are people he doesn't really contact under My Contacts, he should remove them from Gmail first.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    It sounds silly, but Palm should implement a "tutorial" program that runs on a new Pre. Kind of like the gesture walk through in the activation. IE: 1st time on the home screen it says something about Universal Search the 1st time you are there.
    It better have a skip button for those of us doctoring our phones.

There are short tutorials in the Help app on the phone, but that might be too advanced for some folks. lol
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I admit, I'm one of the ones who went months not knowing about universal search or rather, didn't trust it to find exactly what I wanted (based on years of using "new" and ultimately crappy search engines). I know now the errors in my thinking and never manually open: the browser, contacts list, google maps, most apps I use daily (type 1 letter, pick it out of the filtered list of apps). Universal Search makes me want a candybar style phone like the Pixi, only with the Pre screen and hardware.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

probably the verizon sales people didn't tell
    Buddy of mine has the iPhone and thought he was gonna be slick and compete with me so see who could get to comingsoon.net quicker from scratch. He opened safari, went to his saved google site. Used voice search, said comingson.net, let it load and then clicked on the page. When he turned to show me it was loading, I pointed to the table where my Pre was and showed that the page had already been up. LOL. He asked me how I did it so quick and I just said I typed it in and hit 'enter'. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Buddy of mine has the iPhone and thought he was gonna be slick and compete with me so see who could get to comingsoon.net quicker from scratch. He opened safari, went to his saved google site. Used voice search, said comingson.net, let it load and then clicked on the page. When he turned to show me it was loading, I pointed to the table where my Pre was and showed that the page had already been up. LOL. He asked me how I did it so quick and I just said I typed it in and hit 'enter'. :-)
    Priceless!
    Well?
    Quote Originally Posted by NVpreguy View Post
    Priceless!
    Off topic: I just have to say you're icon is amazing! Did you know the complete series of Daria is now available on amazon? Only $45.
    I am, therefore I think
    Wow, universal search is a godsend for me. I can't even imagine going back to a phone without it, I use it about a million times (not exaggerating) daily.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    They just have to show it in commercials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I was meeting with a colleague who also has a Pre late this afternoon. We have had many discussions about the Pre and patches/homebrew. He doesn't feel comfortable with patches/homebrew so I am always showing off what they can do and have offered to do all the work for him, but he still hasn't bitten.

That isn't the unbelievable part, this is: We decided to go a restaurant for dinner, I said I would call and make reservations. I opened my Pre and starting typing the restaurant name in (using universal search) hit the contact in the list and made the reservation. As soon as I hung up, he said "What in the heck did you just do, is that one of your patch things?"

He meant universal search. OMG, he has had a Pre for over 6 months and had no idea about universal search!!! How many others are out there that have Pres that have NO IDEA of the power of the device (even without patching/homebrew).

I am now making it my mission to make sure every Pre owner I see knows the power of the device. Who's with me?
    I didn't know about it until today & I have had this phone since 2/10. The documentation isn't so great with it.
    Hey just learned that recently and I've had my phone for a year. I just showed it to my husband and he didn't know either.

Yes we are dumb! LOL
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    A recent survey showed that the vast majority of smartphone owners had never downloaded an application. Most smartphone owners use the phone for texting, web browsing, and sometimes email. That's it. Sad but true. Most smartphone owners got them because Oprah or Ellen told them to. They see the cute picture of a fruit on the back and they go get one (Futurama had a great episode about this called "Killer App."). It is hard for us to understand because we look at all of the available features, compare what we want to be able to do, and narrow down to a model that does most of what we want. Then we check here daily to see what else we might not know. Most people go to the Verizon/AT&T/Sprint store and look for a smartphone with pretty colors and say "I'll take that one!" That's why AT&T and Verizon are able to say that tiered data service plans will only affect a small number of customers who overuse the bandwidth. Guess what, that small number is you! The rest of the customers are using their smartphones to text.

I often ask people with smartphones what OS they're running (even though I almost always know from seeing the phone model) and only 1 or 2 out of ten can tell me. That's the reality of what the "regular people" are doing with their smartphones.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast