1.    #1  
    I don't know what it's called, EvDo or something like that.

Anyways, I have a limited amount of data per month (500mb), and I REALLY don't want to go over, so I turn it off and never turn it back on, and I just use wifi at home. If I'm out and I really need the internet on, I'll turn the data on for a short amount of time then turn it off again.

My question is... if I have the data on, but I am also connected to wifi, will it still use data? If you understand what I'm trying to say... thanks guys.
    I always thought that the pre is designed to choose the wifi over any of the network data, but this only an ssumption.
    You might want to get yourself somthing like the netstats app from preware to keep a check on your data usage.
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/netstat
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I always thought that the pre is designed to choose the wifi over any of the network data, but this only an ssumption.
    You might want to get yourself somthing like the netstats app from preware to keep a check on your data usage.
    That would be amazing for me, thanks! Once I get my phone back I'll need to figure out how to download homebrew apps. (: Thanks again.
    We've always been told that the phone chooses wifi if both are available.

Also, if you have a 5GB data limit, it would be very difficult to use more than that, unless you use the phone as a mobile hotspot. You'd have to watch videos about 12 hours a day, and the battery won't let you.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    We've always been told that the phone chooses wifi if both are available.

Also, if you have a 5GB data limit, it would be very difficult to use more than that, unless you use the phone as a mobile hotspot. You'd have to watch videos about 12 hours a day, and the battery won't let you.
    Noo, not gb! I only have 500mb. But thank you, the first part is great to know. (: Thanks for understanding my question haha.
    yes, wifi is the default when both are available.
    If I only had 500 MB per month, I would turn data off and only use wifi. You could blow through 500 MB in a very short time with the Pre.

I'm actually surprised your carrier allows such a small data plan. Are you on Verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    If I only had 500 MB per month, I would turn data off and only use wifi. You could blow through 500 MB in a very short time with the Pre.

I'm actually surprised your carrier allows such a small data plan. Are you on Verizon?
    I think she's in England, if i remember correctly, so she wouldn't be on VZ.
    Bell I believe also has a 500mb plan, yes it sucks and should not be acceptable on smart phones but it is. Also I believe it really depends on the app what it uses. Like OTA updated I believe you need to be using data, I could be very wrong on this though but I thought this was the case. yea 500 isnt much, however if you just use for messaging through msn, gtalk, aim, yahoo, email, and web surfing chances are you will not go over that limit. It is usually people who tether and listen to streaming radio that get to the higher amounts, I do some streaming radio and whatever else and I usually only get to ~ 1gig.

But yes I would recommend you use netstats and see what you are averaging, you should be ok to be honest. That being said chances are going over wifi would be faster anyway, but if you were out and about it would be okay for you to use 3G. Plus wifi helps make you battery last longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Awesome advice. I`ve been wondering if something like this was around. Learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Menelas; 05/19/2010 at 05:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelas View Post
    Awesome advice. I`ve been wondering if something like this was around. Learn something new every day.
    He means over data, your signal issue will still drain battery.
    Oh I know, I was just excited about the app. I should really make that clearer, though. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I think she's in England, if i remember correctly, so she wouldn't be on VZ.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $all$ $O2$ $UK$ $data$ $plans$ $are$ $unlimited$ $for$ $the$ $Pre$, $I$ $know$ $mine$ $is$.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post

Err, no, I'm with Bell. I got the smallest smartphone plan possible, which only gives me 500mb of data. I get hardly any features, and it's $50 a month, which I think is ridiculous LOL.

I use the email thing, where it updates every half an hour, youtube quite often, as well as facebook. I have NO IDEA how much data I use, because Bell just sends the price of my bill to my email, I don't even get to see anything but the price. I'll have to try out that netstats app, thanks guys.