Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    so i bought another touchstone for in my car (btw if the car charger with a touchstone works in a 2010 mazda 3) when the batterys fully charged i like to unplus the wire from the stone and still keep the pre on the charger...is the ok or will it ruin the battery from sitting on it and not charging?
    No it will not ruin the battery by sitting on an unplugged touchstone.
    What if it is still plugged in? Will it continue to draw power and try to charge the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by piggly99 View Post
    so i bought another touchstone for in my car (btw if the car charger with a touchstone works in a 2010 mazda 3) when the batterys fully charged i like to unplus the wire from the stone and still keep the pre on the charger...is the ok or will it ruin the battery from sitting on it and not charging?
    I guess my question would be:

Why???

(Meaning why unplug it?)
    it isn't good for the battery to keep charging when it is already full. Better to have them run down some. Also, if it's plugged in it is generating heat in the phone. Add sunlight through the windshield and the gps radio... And it gets really warm. Better to unplug and just use it to hold the phone...
    yes it will continue to run and maintain the battery. If you wire the TS into a switched circuit (only has power when ignition is on or in accessory) then it would not.
    I unplug my TS in the car when I notice the Pre is getting extremely hot, and leave the Pre there to hold on through the magnet. There is no way this would cause any bit of a problem. There isn't any power going to the TS! It's like asking if there is a problem having an appliance plugged into an unpowered outlet because the circuit is turned off at the circuit breaker.
    I turn the AC on it lol. It keeps the device cool while charging xP
    I dont see why not. Think of it this way, the touchstone charges a depleted phone, i say in about 1hour? most people like myself leave their phone on the touchstone when they go to sleep so its constantly being charged and recharged. not a good thing for the battery but it i dont think its terribly bad either. btw if you're in the car, most like your phone needs charging. the only time my phone is actually at 100 is when its on its touchstone.
    I thought you couldn't overcharge these new batteries and it didn't matter if you left it plugged in.
    You guys should all take a look at How to prolong lithium-based batteries

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    You guys should all take a look at How to prolong lithium-based batteries

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.)
    That is a very good link for info on lithium ion batteries. I have used resources from that site for briefings on proper storage conditions for prolonging expected life and charge capacity in U.S.A.F aircraft applications.

One other thing everyone should note is that depleting the charge capacity in these batteries is inevitable and irreversible. Despite what someone else said in another thread, you cannot regain charge capacity by putting the battery in a refrigerator. You can however prolong the shelf life of a spare battery by storing it at a 40-70% charge and at about 4 deg C (thats almost 40 deg F).

The normal capacity depletion is like filling your favorite cup with cement a little at a time, until eventually it no longer holds any useful amount of liquid.