Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    OK, I am sure there is a thread or answer out there, but I loved my Blackberry's feature: having a unique sound/tone for each contact's sms messages. I liked to know who was sending me an sms without looking.
    Any apps out there that make the Palm Pre Plus do this?
  2. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #2  
    If you have Preware there are two messaging patches for SMS tone per contact.
  3. #3  
    the tone per contact patch in preware is great.
  4. #4  
    First, welcome to Precentral. Second, there is an app (patch) for what you want. Look in the webOS patches forum.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdotson0 View Post
    OK, I am sure there is a thread or answer out there, but I loved my Blackberry's feature: having a unique sound/tone for each contact's sms messages. I liked to know who was sending me an sms without looking.
    Any apps out there that make the Palm Pre Plus do this?
    I don't know about an App but there is most definitely a patch. Have a look at:

    [Patch] SMS Tone per Contact v2

    I installed a copy today via Preware and initial impressions are very favorable.
  6. #6  
    this patch still hasn't worked for me since 1.4.1.1 on vzw
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    this patch still hasn't worked for me since 1.4.1.1 on vzw
    I had some weird issues with v2. Use the original. It works very well.
  8. #8  
    Yep. The original has been working great for me for months.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  9. #9  
    Actually both have worked for me this one doesn't touch the files that don't need to be touched so at the moment I am preferring this one over the other one.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I had some weird issues with v2. Use the original. It works very well.
    Can you give an example? I loaded v2 and mine seems to be working okay. Maybe I just haven't had the same situation come up that you've had.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Can you give an example? I loaded v2 and mine seems to be working okay. Maybe I just haven't had the same situation come up that you've had.
    Sure. Sometimes my ringtone, sms tone, or alert notification simply wouldn't sound even though my sound was on and volume was up. If my slider was open and my messaging app was active, I wouldn't get a notification when a new SMS would come in, whether the screen was on or off.

    I also didn't like how it removed the SMS tone option from the sounds and ringtones app. I had to go into the messaging app to set the default SMS tone.

    I switched back to the original and everything worked again like it is supposed to.

    There was a thread about it as well.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 05/18/2010 at 10:23 PM.
  12. #12  
    the adding of the the option to the sound and ringtone app was a function when palm didn't include it now that it is included they are probably trying to keep it less cluttered. The message app and email app now have the ability to set the ringtone for that particular app.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    the adding of the the option to the sound and ringtone app was a function when palm didn't include it now that it is included they are probably trying to keep it less cluttered. The message app and email app now have the ability to set the ringtone for that particular app.
    I understand less cluttered, and the fact that they have added them in the specific apps. I just like the "one stop shop" for default sound notification management.

    But the big issue for me was the intermittent notification issues. Once I removed the updated patch I had no problems.
  14. #14  
    After reading this thread, I installed the original SMS Tone per Contact patch via Preware. After a Luna restart, there was no option in my contacts to "Set a message tone". I was able to uninstall via Preware.

    I then installed the v2 patch, with the same results...no option to set message tone in my contacts.

    What am I doing wrong?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    After reading this thread, I installed the original SMS Tone per Contact patch via Preware. After a Luna restart, there was no option in my contacts to "Set a message tone". I was able to uninstall via Preware.

    I then installed the v2 patch, with the same results...no option to set message tone in my contacts.

    What am I doing wrong?
    What other "contacts" patches do you have installed? Sometimes the order in which they are installed makes a difference. And...

    You should always try a full phone restart/reboot after changing something if the Luna or Java restart didn't fix it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    What other "contacts" patches do you have installed? Sometimes the order in which they are installed makes a difference.
    I have no other "contacts" patches. I do have the "Character Counter" and "Timestamps Clean" messaging patches installed.

    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    And...You should always try a full phone restart/reboot after changing something if the Luna or Java restart didn't fix it.
    I didn't mention it previously, but I did perform a full reboot after installing the original SMS Tone per Contact patch. Didn't work.
  17. #17  
    I figured out what was going on...

    I was looking on the page that opens when you select a contact. You have to tap EDIT, then the "Set a message tone" option is shown.

    Duh.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    I figured out what was going on...

    I was looking on the page that opens when you select a contact. You have to tap EDIT, then the "Set a message tone" option is shown.

    Duh.
    That is the difficult thing about trying to help troubleshoot issues on the forums. Without screenshots of exactly what they are seeing, you have to assume they are in the right place.

    Glad you found it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions