1.    #1  
    I know there are plenty of threads on this however all solutions are discused about the same in each and I have jstop, and the 800 kernal and for a while it was ok, but the last month or so, unless I restart a few times a day and even after that it gets real boged down with the internet or email apps. I have contacted palm and they just tell me to doctor, but even if this is the case it shouldn't be like that. I only got the 800 patch to get rid of that stupid error and even now I get it. Palm my not support it, but they have to realize that at this point, those who like the os are going to do whatever they can to make it work properly. Most patches aren't for crazy things, but simply implement things that should be intended to wok anyway.

palm I know ur tight lipped about alot but is thi tmc error going to be fixed eventually? Sometimes I'll randomly open my phone to get a text andcant even read it.Id love to eleminate the need for patches to do things just because I am not sure if those make it better or worse so I guees I'm hoping for a more complete os and solid hardware that I an plug headphones in and doesn't mess up my phone love the os, just want to know that all these things are being looked at. I have no interest in any other os out now, and I'd love to see this one live up to it's potential. Anyone have any other remedies?
    Same remedy as usual I suppose. Install the advanced options in launcher and run the garbage collector. You get the same thing in JStop.

I am overclocked, have a bunch of apps, a bunch of patches and several 3-D games. Sometimes when launching one of the 3-D games I will get it. I run the collector and launch the game with no issues.

It hasn't been a problem on any of the four devices (various hardware failures) I have had since July 09. But, I Doctor within a couple of weeks after every WebOS update and keep everything fairly clean making sure to remove any patches rendered obsolete by the update and any apps I don't use.

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad experience.
    do u play A LOT of 3d games???
    I don't run UK (anymore) and am on a heavily patched Pre. I haven't seen the TMC error since 1.3.x - or rather, the only app that errors out is Family Guy.

Maybe a doctoring is in order.
  5.    #5  
    not really I have some but don't play them often. Most of the time I ant launch them anyway. I wonder if having patches slows it down? My brother has a pre too but doesn't really do much but text and dtalk on it. And he has no problems. He also has no patches anymore either. I'm not the average user so doctoring would not be an issue if I could save everything exactly as is and do it, however it's not the case and I also have no internet so not an option anyway. However the average user has no knowledge of doctoring and patches but I wonder if they have these problems? Do pre plus's suffer from this? Anyway maybe when I get internet back I'll doctor if save and restore supports all my gamesaves and apps that don't sync.
    I love that the answer to this problem for 11 months and running is to homebrew and/or modify the way you use the device. Why would anyone expect a device defined by its multitasking to competently handle the most important under-the-hood aspect of multitasking: memory management?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I love that the answer to this problem for 11 months and running is to homebrew and/or modify the way you use the device. Why would anyone expect a device defined by its multitasking to competently handle the most important under-the-hood aspect of multitasking: memory management?
    From what I've heard from Palm, they're aware of this issue. However, we should keep in mind that the options are really pretty limited with mobile devices. They are:

1. Do as Apple does and severely limit what the device is capable of doing. Just don't let folks multitask _at all_, or implement (as they are in iPhone 4.0) a very limited subset of services that can run in the background. The functionality of the device is very limited but the user gets fewer out of memory errors and crashes (and of course, the iPhone's not free of them either).

2. Do as Google does with Android, where apps pretty much simply close themselves down in the background when the OS reaches an out-of-memory state. Don't let the user know that the app isn't running, but rather make them go to a hidden task switcher (reminiscent of Windows Mobile) to see what's still active.

3. Do as Palm has done and allow user control over multitasking. This will inevitably result in out of memory notices, and really let's not call them "errors." Any computer with limited RAM and no swap space (a necessarily limitation of mobile devices) will run into memory issues eventually, and so the TMC is really just a notice that something needs to be done.

Now, granted, webOS could do a better job of garbage collection, particularly following 3D games. And, from what I've seen Palm continues to work on the algorithms that perform this function. However, every time that garbage collection is done it has an impact on system performance, and so really this is just something that needs to be tweaked over time. It's also something that will be less and less of a problem as webOS devices get more and more RAM.

For myself, I'm okay with going through the growing pains inherent in using a brand new operating system. At the same time, I do think that Palm needs to implement some kind of mechanism for informing the user what should be done when a low memory state is reached. It could be as simple as a message that offers to perform a Luna restart (in simpler language) to free up memory.

But, what I wouldn't want is for Palm to pull back on the multitasking capabilities of webOS to solve the TMC issue. I think it's a powerful enough feature that some short-term pain is worth it. Will the average user feel this way? Probably not, but that's why it's great that Palm how has HP to help them through the rough spots.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I wonder if more developers are making their apps with the pre plus in mind. I know after the 3gs was released are started noticing that my 3g was becoming more and more sluggish as developers updated their apps.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Same remedy as usual I suppose. Install the advanced options in launcher and run the garbage collector. You get the same thing in JStop.

I am overclocked, have a bunch of apps, a bunch of patches and several 3-D games. Sometimes when launching one of the 3-D games I will get it. I run the collector and launch the game with no issues.

It hasn't been a problem on any of the four devices (various hardware failures) I have had since July 09. But, I Doctor within a couple of weeks after every WebOS update and keep everything fairly clean making sure to remove any patches rendered obsolete by the update and any apps I don't use.

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad experience.
    The Advanced Options in Launcher patch is a real blessing.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  10.    #10  
    I of course would not want palm to get rid of multitasking and deffinitly understand getting the tmc notice after a bunch of cards or at least heavy power using apps (4 or 5) but sometimes I can check my email, and that takes forever and then I can't do anything for a while cus of tmc, or even sometines I will just open my phone to get a text and I'll get it. I did however, find that mode switcher has been a deffinate contributor to this and since disabling it I find less of the extreme, but email app causes major problems as well as the browswe and as little cards as I normally have open, I should not get errors often.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Average user here(stock pre), I get the tmc error, but mostly just 3D games since 1.4.1.1. 1.4 on the other hand was awfully bad, just tmc out of the blue, no reason. Not much of an issue now except for 3D games and since I can't play them all the time it doesn't bother me much, restart always takes care of the issue for a day or two.

I do believe palm is working on fixing it.